Texas Vehicle Inspection

I have a vehicle that is currently out of state that the registration expired in May. It will be there for another two months. I'm needing go get an inspection in order to renew the registration. Surely someone has figured out a way to get this done virtually or on a facetime call.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'd say don't sweat it.  We sent my son off to school in Colorado, and his registration expired last October.  We just renewed it a couple weeks ago when he came home for the summer.

He even got pulled over for it when he first came back and the cop just laughed when he explained it then shot his dog and murdered us all.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

I've drove a car almost two years without expired registration and no inspection. I wouldn't sweat it.

In around 2003 I worked with a guy that had a sticker that expired in 1988. It was the old, texas shape.  He just didn’t drive it during the day.  

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

In around 2003 I worked with a guy that had a sticker that expired in 1988. It was the old, texas shape.  He just didn’t drive it during the day.  

It’s not the visual that gets you but the license plate number in the computer. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)

My wife didn't inform me that her inspection ran out back in November of last year. I found out in March and got it inspected. I was able to purchase the new registration sticker online. They just truncate your time till the next inspection is due. They don't put it 12 months out. She'll need a new inspection in November of this year. So we paid the full amount for only 8 months of clearance until we get to pay it again. It's fairly laughable that an under 3 year old car needs to be inspected but Texas needs its money. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I thought they got rid of the inspection, or does that not go into effect until next year or later?
I believe no inspections after Jan. 1, 2025. If you live in a big county you still have to pass the annual emissions test.
  • Like 2

Found a workaround this afternoon. Apparently you can register the vehicle when it's out of state under the premise when it returns you will get it inspected. They just want our money!

Problem solved

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

and the plate reader on the cop car.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

4 hours ago, RPM said:

and the plate reader on the cop car.

The use of plate readers is a mainstay of ticket writing small town cops.  

Interesting story.  A couple years ago my wife and I had cars that expired a month apart, may and june.  Well she gets pulled over by a cop in I think Elgin, Hutto or Taylor for for expired inspection.  Apparently I had put the May sticker on my Truck and the June sticker on her vehicle.  So when she got pulled over in June she had the June sticker on her car, so the only way he knew anything is he was scanning every car going by.

I also drove my 2020 Truck for over a year unknowingly with an expired inspection sticker with no incident.  But good to know that Texas has figured out a way to take your money for registration when the vehicle is out of state!

52 minutes ago, horn4life said:

The use of plate readers is a mainstay of ticket writing small town cops.  

And DPS. A couple years ago I had to use my spare car to get to work and registered it online. I got stopped by a DPS trooper that was parked in the back of a parking lot 50 yds away from the highway. I had proof and he let me go, but damn.