Shark attacks along Destin/Fort Walton Beach

HiggyBaby

Just now, Mother mopar said:

I'll say it's been more common the past few summers. Not too long ago, a charter spotted killer whales down in Destin, which is very rare.

Researchers studying great white sharks tracked a large female last year that for the first time (for great whites) entered the gulf and cruised from the Florida shoreline to Texas.    They credited this to the warmer water.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

Bull sharks, man.   Those assholes even cruise up the Mississippi River a ways.  They will literally eat anything - cut them open and you’ll find all kinds of crap like license plates and cans and things.  And tourist legs.

• Hook 'Em 6

My wife and I along with our two younger kids were wading at Rosemary Beach, and all of a sudden about a billion baitfish started hauling ass towards the beach.  Every adult human in the water had the same look -- "oh hell no" -- and we all hauled ass out of the water.  I never saw what spooked the fish but it sure spooked all of us.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My wife and I along with our two younger kids were wading at Rosemary Beach, and all of a sudden about a billion baitfish started hauling ass towards the beach.  Every adult human in the water had the same look -- "oh hell no" -- and we all hauled ass out of the water.  I never saw what spooked the fish but it sure spooked all of us.

I had a similar pants-shitting moment in Pensacola 2 years ago while swimming with my kids. I was about chest deep and my 2 boys (6 and 11 at the time) had on life jackets so they were just floating. About 10 yards behind us, a bonita comes flying out of the water parallel with the beach, hauling ass like something is chasing it. About 30 seconds later, I see another bonita doing the same thing but this time about 10 feet away and between us and the beach. Naturally at this point I know something is chasing it so I look to the direction the fish came from and I see a gray dorsal fin breach the water about 50 or so feet away. It is headed directly for us so all I see is a slender gray dorsal fin hauling ass at us. Naturally I start to freak the fuck out so I grab the kids by the life vests and start running the fastest in water I've ever run before. It gets about 20 feet away and it makes a 90 degree turn.

It was a fucking dolphin, lol

About 30 min later and we're still out there swimming and a guy kayaks out a bait for his surf rod out about 50 ft away down the beach from us. Keep in mind this is like second week of June so the beach was absolutely packed. Way too packed to be fishing anyway. About 10 minutes later, we see tons of people that were swimming around us start getting out of the water. Then I see where dude reeled in a small black tip, like 2-3 ft max. It was nice because we had the water all to our selves for quite a while after that. 

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Researchers studying great white sharks tracked a large female last year that for the first time (for great whites) entered the gulf and cruised from the Florida shoreline to Texas.    They credited this to the warmer water.

4 years or so before Covid, I searched for Great White territory and found that the Gulf of Mexico was included. So, maybe you are referring to the first time a Great White was formally tracked but not the first time a Great White had been seen.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

So, what’s the likelihood three different sharks attacked humans compared to that of one shark attacking three times?

Have you never watched shark week? Lot's of baitfish in the area, murkier waters than typical, more people, means more shark attacks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

So, what’s the likelihood three different sharks attacked humans compared to that of one shark attacking three times?

There are all kinds of sharks in the water. Hammerheads, blues, makos, bulls, and the possibility that these folks were attacked by the exact same shark . . . it's a hundred to one.  A hundred to one. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I've posted this before, but I really think this PSA on shark presence is critical for anyone headed to the beach with their family this summer.

Screenshot borked.

Edited by Bevo

1. Early summer is shark attack story time.  If there is anything else going on in the news these types of sensational stories don't tend to get reported.  These stories are place holders till hurricane season.  When the hurricanes start spinning up the shark attack stories will magically disappear until next spring/early summer 
  2. Bull Sharks are always nasty and aggressive
  3. But it's fair to mention that shitty ecological conditions ...  Like heat induced deadzones and fish kills leave the sharks looking further and further from their normal sources of food.  Don't believe me? google Recife shark attacks.  

large-48793212536d177f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

4 years or so before Covid, I searched for Great White territory and found that the Gulf of Mexico was included. So, maybe you are referring to the first time a Great White was formally tracked but not the first time a Great White had been seen.

https://www.nola.com/news/environment/meet-leebeth-great-white-shark-in-the-gulf/article_e9e4699a-dfdf-11ee-a5f0-fff05f99239c.html

looks like farthest tracked.  

50 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

There are all kinds of sharks in the water. Hammerheads, 

I was on a fishing pier at night in Palm Beach.  The water was lit by overhead lights on the pier.  A giant ass hammerhead shadow slowly swam along the pier straight for the beach.  That is one silhouette which is completely unmistakable.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

I'll say it's been more common the past few summers. Not too long ago, a charter spotted killer whales down in Destin, which is very rare.

Probably hunting sharks. 

shark.jpg

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I've posted this before, but I really think this PSA on shark presence is critical for anyone headed to the beach with their family this summer.

image.thumb.png.9609b3b51cf7b018c5275eafbfd090e3.png.68045db1717ddfa41f3321a75f912240.png

In the live video, you see the guy sprinting back to shore.

Edited by Bevo

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Similar experience at Rosemary in 2018. I was carrying my son out to a sand bar, and we were about 40 yards out when I looked back and we were the only ones in the water. My friend is calmly waiving us in, and I realize because there was a shark sighting. I tried not to freak the fuck out while I hauled my son back to shore.

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was on a fishing pier at night in Palm Beach.  The water was lit by overhead lights on the pier.  A giant ass hammerhead shadow slowly swam along the pier straight for the beach.  That is one silhouette which is completely unmistakable.  

On occasion we would fish the Galveston jetties rather than Sabine Pass or Sea Drift, and we would periodically see large schools of sharks including hammerheads. Of course with such crappy visibility you wouldn't see silhouettes very well, but we would fish them on occasion for the fun of it. At Sabine Pass if it was kind of slow, my brother and I would take some of the sand trout out of the cooler and catch black tip. That was fun, but my dad would get pissed. They were good eating, though.

When my kids were little, we used to drive over to Gulf Shores/Pensacola, and stay at one of those Phoenix monstrosities, those giant condo towers.    if your room was on one of the top floors, you could look down and see all the sharks, cruising up and down the beach with bunches of people in the water absolutely clueless that they were there.    

The thing is, they are always there.  They just don’t eat people every day.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wade fish the Texas surf on a calm day with green or clear water (yes, it happens) and you’ll see several sharks.  Most are pups but the larger ones are there.  They’re always there you just usually can’t see them.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

image.thumb.png.9609b3b51cf7b018c5275eafbfd090e3.png.68045db1717ddfa41f3321a75f912240.png

In the live video, you see the guy sprinting back to shore.

As long as he wasn't a Sea World trainer, he should have been good. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

As long as he wasn't a Sea World trainer, he should have been good. 

I'd still pass on skimboarding for the rest of the day. I'm sure beforehand he thought he was safe because he was close to shore.

I heard somewhere recently that there are no recorded attack on humans by orcas. Those ones in the Med like to sink boats, but other than that, they only seem to fuck with individuals when they are in captivity. 

9 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

We were there last summer.  As many fat slobs are flopping around in the water, whales are like.....why not?  They can't even get out of a lawn chair.  

On the Dusty and Danny show this morning, Dusty Dvorcek (ousux) said he was 400 yards away from the shark attack of the 15 year old girl IN THE WATER with his kids.  Thats frightening.  He ran over there and said some doctor was the one who drug her out.  She apparently lost a lot of blood but is going to make it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Deej said:

I heard somewhere recently that there are no recorded attack on humans by orcas. Those ones in the Med like to sink boats, but other than that, they only seem to fuck with individuals when they are in captivity. 

orcas are smart enough to put the blame on sharks. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Deej said:

a980edfd6722e0da8692102e83eeddce.jpg.d451c8c523241880b62bb8be97b514d5.jpg

• Haha 5

35 minutes ago, markstanco said:

On the Dusty and Danny show this morning, Dusty Dvorcek (ousux) said he was 400 yards away from the shark attack of the 15 year old girl IN THE WATER with his kids.  Thats frightening.  He ran over there and said some doctor was the one who drug her out beat the shark to death with a baseball bat.  

fify

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

I had a similar pants-shitting moment in Pensacola 2 years ago while swimming with my kids. I was about chest deep and my 2 boys (6 and 11 at the time) had on life jackets so they were just floating. About 10 yards behind us, a bonita comes flying out of the water parallel with the beach, hauling ass like something is chasing it. About 30 seconds later, I see another bonita doing the same thing but this time about 10 feet away and between us and the beach. Naturally at this point I know something is chasing it so I look to the direction the fish came from and I see a gray dorsal fin breach the water about 50 or so feet away. It is headed directly for us so all I see is a slender gray dorsal fin hauling ass at us. Naturally I start to freak the fuck out so I grab the kids by the life vests and start running the fastest in water I've ever run before. It gets about 20 feet away and it makes a 90 degree turn.

It was a fucking dolphin, lol

About 30 min later and we're still out there swimming and a guy kayaks out a bait for his surf rod out about 50 ft away down the beach from us. Keep in mind this is like second week of June so the beach was absolutely packed. Way too packed to be fishing anyway. About 10 minutes later, we see tons of people that were swimming around us start getting out of the water. Then I see where dude reeled in a small black tip, like 2-3 ft max. It was nice because we had the water all to our selves for quite a while after that. 

image.gif.9e7cb1203bdbd98505da44c3078910d3.gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Are they eating just Floridians?  Trying to decide if I’m for/against the sharks.

6 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If a shark eats someone in the the Gulf of Mexico, chances are the country is better off afterward

The area where the sharks are eating people is 50% Texan, and hot Texan mama ass at that. 

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

Wade fish the Texas surf on a calm day with green or clear water (yes, it happens) and you’ll see several sharks.  Most are pups but the larger ones are there.  They’re always there you just usually can’t see them.  

I still remember when I realized a 20’ stringer is ALOT better than an 8’.   Never cared for the doughnets. But a few visits from the man in the grey suit (or slacks) will fix you up right quick.    

A couple of years ago we were offshore on a super calm July day, and the heat was getting out of control.  We stopped in a random ass spot to grab beers and splash some fuel and I decided I wanted to cool off in the water like the million times I did growing up.  As I’m about to jump off the bow the biggest hammerhead I’ve ever seen swims right along the port.  Fuck. That.  We weren’t on structure, no platforms within miles.  Just some spot ~40 miles offshore. No idea what the odds on that one is, but my happy ass stays in the boat when offshore now.