Apple, Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc.

atomheartbevo

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2024 at 11:10 PM, Captainant said:

Samsung has had this to Windows for quite some time, but I'd bet the apple implementation is pretty seamless

The Lenovo implementation wasn’t terrible, but it was clunky at times.

On 6/10/2024 at 10:13 PM, immamac said:

Apple is so far behind it's comical  

check out this dock though we can finally pull the SCSCI drives out of our closets and get the data off of them

FnQ3D1CacAIZGUa?format=jpg&name=medium

FnQ3D1FaAAAz8tQ?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by atomheartbevo

• 1 month later...

I have a helluva lot of respect for Tim Sweeney both for Unreal/Epic, plus his conservation efforts, but damn, he could have turned off Find My Mac, and this reeks of him being pissed about losing the lawsuit.

A lot of people are saying this here. While technically true, it misses the point: you can't track the location of a device that's in someone's possession without tracking that person, and people have a right to privacy. This right applies to second hand device buyers and even to thieves. This right isn't absolute, in that it can be overcome through due process of law in the case of stolen devices, and I think that due process of law is the responsible way to handle these situations.

And this somebody asked "this you bro?"

GTv7Vw0WsAAhjnB.thumb.jpeg.974eeebc631a41f0f09390d176ffd3ae.jpeg

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have a helluva lot of respect for Tim Sweeney both for Unreal/Epic, plus his conservation efforts, but damn, he could have turned off Find My Mac, and this reeks of him being pissed about losing the lawsuit.

A lot of people are saying this here. While technically true, it misses the point: you can't track the location of a device that's in someone's possession without tracking that person, and people have a right to privacy. This right applies to second hand device buyers and even to thieves. This right isn't absolute, in that it can be overcome through due process of law in the case of stolen devices, and I think that due process of law is the responsible way to handle these situations.

And this somebody asked "this you bro?"

GTv7Vw0WsAAhjnB.thumb.jpeg.974eeebc631a41f0f09390d176ffd3ae.jpeg

TL;DR… Find My got a co-worker her stolen phone back  

Shortly after Apple introduced “Lost Mode” in iOS, a coworker had her iPhone stolen by someone else who worked in the area. Her Lock Screen photo was her and her son, so it was immediately evident who this phone belonged to and would have been easy to return. She left it in the restroom, realized it almost immediately, and went back get it. Gone. I remembered Lost Mode from the keynote that year, told her about it, and asked if she had updated to the latest iOS. So she signed into Find My from a desktop PC and she enabled it. The phone didn’t show up immediately because the dude who stole it did think to immediately power it off, but later that night he turned it on from his house. She got a notification, a map location, and an approximate address from which the thief was able to be identified.  He confessed when confronted by HR and returned the phone.