2024 College World Series

tx 3 putt

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Here’s the thing though, others developed besides him. Melendez was solid in 2021 then historic in 2022. Stehly went apeshit in 2022. Faltine, Ardoin, Campbell, Hodo all took steps forward in their time here. I have no idea what happened with Daly but yeah. There’s plenty of things to knock Pierce on. Developing hitters isn’t necessarily one of them. 

The ups and downs are pretty common.  Chase Burns good freshman year relegated to the pen the following year then top notch this year.  Your boy Gavin Kash dropped off this year - not poor but regression rather progression.  Tommy White had his lowest average, OBP, slugging, XBHs, and RBIs with his most official ABs this year.  Tre Morgan had his best year as frosh with respect to average, OBP, slugging and steals.

Now the regression is not as dramatic as Daly, but you can’t say the development is apparent either.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

“Back to .300 at UK and a chance to win something Pierce will never sniff.”

Sure, “will never sniff again” would have been better but completely dismiss any counter argument from me and others about development. 

19 minutes ago, Levi said:

What about Nixon? He played amazing his first year, slumped his second year then what? It’s hilarious that because one player has a good year away from Texas, you want to point to it as Pierce sucks at development. There are plenty of players under Pierce that have developed year to year. Pierce wasn’t Belicheck developing guys but he wasn’t terrible either. Also, you last point makes no sense when Daly has been to the WS 3 times, 2 of which were under Pierce. 

Then he led MSU in ERA at 2.66.  Only 20 innings though.

From my view, that wasn’t a development issue but rather the failure to define his role.  The year before he was mostly a 9th inning guy with extended to 2 innings some.  The next year he may come in earlier then when they tried correcting him it was more chaotic.

8 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Then he led MSU in ERA at 2.66.  Only 20 innings though.

From my view, that wasn’t a development issue but rather the failure to define his role.  The year before he was mostly a 9th inning guy with extended to 2 innings some.  The next year he may come in earlier then when they tried correcting him it was more chaotic.

Right but the point being he never got close to his 34 appearances, and 9 saves. We wanted his role to be around the same as is freshmen year. He was our primary closer but pitched more than 3 outs a handful of times. Teams adjusted his sophomore year with a larger scouting report. The result was more walks. 

1 minute ago, Levi said:

Right but the point being he never got close to his 34 appearances, and 9 saves. We wanted his role to be around the same as is freshmen year. He was our primary closer but pitched more than 3 outs a handful of times. Teams adjusted his sophomore year with a larger scouting report. The result was more walks. 

And a steal at home 

• Rage+1 1

54 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The ups and downs are pretty common.  Chase Burns good freshman year relegated to the pen the following year then top notch this year.  Your boy Gavin Kash dropped off this year - not poor but regression rather progression.  Tommy White had his lowest average, OBP, slugging, XBHs, and RBIs with his most official ABs this year.  Tre Morgan had his best year as frosh with respect to average, OBP, slugging and steals.

Now the regression is not as dramatic as Daly, but you can’t say the development is apparent either.

Ha my boy Kash. I hope that cocksucker gets aids. And not the Magic Johnson type. I’m talking Dallas Buyers Club full blown 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Yeah this one is great. The nap time is choice too. 37% reduction in heart disease risk, take a nap it’s good for your heart. 

Use a dvr to save it... 

Nap time

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Levi said:

Well sure, but we didn’t have Witt and Quintanilla so role became more volatile and coming in before the 8th a time or two.  It wasn’t drastically different but more was expected of him.  He started the season fairly well then fell off.

I wish they wouldn't make that kind of hypertechnical call when the pitcher isn't getting any advantage on the move.  I fucking hate when a great game ends up being impacted by that shit.

1 minute ago, Gap03 said:

I wish they wouldn't make that kind of hypertechnical call when the pitcher isn't getting any advantage on the move.  I fucking hate when a great game ends up being impacted by that shit.

Maybe the pitcher throwing to 2nd is a completely ineffective and useless move to begin with. I hate it in any situation. I don’t have the data, but I would bet the pick off/throwing it into center field ratio is fucking abominable. 

30 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I miss Rosenblatt so fucking much. This park is fine I guess but it just doesn’t have the magic of Rosenblatt. 

needs a desert dome imo

23 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Well sure, but we didn’t have Witt and Quintanilla so role became more volatile and coming in before the 8th a time or two.  It wasn’t drastically different but more was expected of him.  He started the season fairly well then fell off.

The Witt and Cole roles were given to guys like Southard, Harrison, and then Morehouse towards the end. His expansion was minimal imo. He just simply had a sophomore slump and couldn’t find the zone or leave the ball down. But I digress. We are clogging a tournament thread with a good game on.