2024 College World Series

tx 3 putt

33 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The defense was a hell of a lot cleaner for FSU and Tennessee today.

Tennessee looks like the favorite, we will see what team wanna be USA and Kentucky produce but Tenn looks stiff. Fuck rocky top let’s grab Vit and hook em.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Tennessee looks like the favorite, we will see what team wanna be USA and Kentucky produce but Tenn looks stiff. Fuck rocky top let’s grab Vit and hook em.

Team wanna be will be sporting blue bell colors tomorrow. Ya know, when you mix all the colors you get purple? they will fuck it up and show up in maroon.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Team wanna be will be sporting blue bell colors tomorrow. Ya know, when you mix all the colors you get purple? they will fuck it up and show up in maroon.

So the sheep-fuckers will wear their Listeria unis tomorrow?

image.png.66cea25b02671de7163d657af2c4a56c.png

They'll put these things on uniforms?

That'll be SICK!  Lulz.

• Haha 1

This trip to Omaha has just been gravy so I can't complain but Florida really needs to win today if only to jump Tennessee in the final Directors' Cup standings.

There's still a scenario where if we go 0-2 and they win the title, they finish 3rd by 2 points.

16 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Just a bit outside.

Definitely generous, but looking at where the ball is caught can be a bit misleading with those sweeping sliders from lefties.  If you pause when the ball just enters the frame at 0:01, it was probably only an inch or two off the black.  Not a strike, but if the ump has been calling a wide zone and the pitcher is consistently hitting the target, it's one of those pitches that a pitcher will sometimes get.  I think you have to look at this in the context of how an HPU has been calling the whole game.  

Would I love a perfectly calibrated robo ump consistently calling the strike zone?  Absolutely.  Would I miss the "art" of catching if we go to robo umps?  Definitely, but I think the improvement in accuracy / consistency for most games (e.g., with umps other than the top 2-3%) would still make it worthwhile. My sense during this CWS is that the umps have been doing a pretty damn good job, though. 

I'd rather umps get better and humans continue calling balls and strikes but I would say egregious or inconsistent calls are the worst.

consistent well called balls and strikes by a human ump (even with errors) >> robo ump >> bad or inconsistent calls by a human ump.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, troph said:

I'd rather umps get better and humans continue calling balls and strikes but I would say egregious or inconsistent calls are the worst.

consistent well called balls and strikes by a human ump (even with errors) >> robo ump >> bad or inconsistent calls by a human ump.

Or you could just get virtually perfect calls from a robo ump. But yeah “hoping human umps get better” will definitely work out one of these days. 

• Drool 1

28 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Or you could just get virtually perfect calls from a robo ump. But yeah “hoping human umps get better” will definitely work out one of these days. 

I didn't suggest it would get better I described what I prefer. when an ump calls a good game it's a non issue. and taking the art of catching out of the game as Gap03 mentioned would suck. so would the fancy called strike threes.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think they need to expand replay a bit 

maybe add one more challenge (preserve if you are correct, lose it if you are wrong) and let balls/strikes/check swings be subject to a replay challenge?

3 hours ago, gatormarc said:

This trip to Omaha has just been gravy so I can't complain but Florida really needs to win today if only to jump Tennessee in the final Directors' Cup standings.

There's still a scenario where if we go 0-2 and they win the title, they finish 3rd by 2 points.

The trip to the CWS is “gravy” for the #2 ranked preseason team?

3 hours ago, troph said:

consistent well called balls and strikes ...

As a once-upon-a-atime pitcher, I can confirm that the best you can hope for is consistency. Well-called? Yeah, good luck with that. 

Nah, that was overly flippant. Really, what you want is to get that pitch called a ball or a strike in that same place every time. My take is that most umps miss the outside more often than inside, but high-low is peculiar to the given ump. 

One of the most important things needed to get your call is to hit the mitt. I like the catcher "framing" that ball, but putting it in that pocket is the best way.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

As a once-upon-a-atime pitcher, I can confirm that the best you can hope for is consistency. Well-called? Yeah, good luck with that. 

Nah, that was overly flippant. Really, what you want is to get that pitch called a ball or a strike in that same place every time. My take is that most umps miss the outside more often than inside, but high-low is peculiar to the given ump. 

One of the most important things needed to get your call is to hit the mitt. I like the catcher "framing" that ball, but putting it in that pocket is the best way.

When I watch an MLB game I find the umps are generally pretty good. I get as you move down the ranks… there’s no reason why we can’t have quality umpires at the collegiate post season level. 

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

What ever happened to "maggie"?

All I needed was a friend to lend a guiding hand
But you turned into a lover, and mother, what a lover, you wore me out
All you did was wreck my bed, and in the morning, kick me in the head

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, troph said:

When I watch an MLB game I find the umps are generally pretty good. I get as you move down the ranks… there’s no reason why we can’t have quality umpires at the collegiate post season level. 

Hola....

Untitled.webp.f7c838d8998c2e4dc8d349deacf14285.webp

1 minute ago, troph said:

At whatever level, the inside-outside call is touchy. Umps set up in the slot over the catcher's shoulder (inside) and only see "perfectly" on that side. The outside ball is harder to call. High and low changes from batter to batter, depending on stance, and the high side is - I think the rules still say - armpit to top of knees. These days, anything much hogher than belt is not going to get you a strike, but a lot of umps will call a strike at mid-knee or even a little below. And don't forget, it's where the ball is when it crosses the plate, not necessarily when it passes the batter, who may be at the front or back of the box and close to the plate or back from it.

Knowing the particular ump's tendencies, and figuring out as you go, what he's gonna call is part of the game.

Again - the best thing is to have consistency. I don't care if he gives an extra bit outside or low or whatever, as long as he does it every time.

• Hook 'Em 1