2024 College World Series

tx 3 putt

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I remember when that '87 (?) team was something like 58-5 and they lost a doubleheader in their regional finals to LSU.  That was fun.  

Edit: Whoops, it was '89: https://12thman.com/sports/baseball/schedule/1989

Wasn't that the year we fucking choked against Wichita State in the championship game?

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Wasn't that the year we fucking choked against Wichita State in the championship game?

I didn't get to watch that game, but after I found out we lost, I honestly thought we had another game to play because I was under the impression that it was still double elimination.

Imagine my surprise . . . 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I'd call it more a brain fart total malfunction than a choke. NCAA let a TV network dictate the play, and it changed from a total double-elimination to a one-game finish. Gus (allegedly) didn't realize it was winner take all, and thought we could still come back if we lost for the first time in the tournament, and managed the game basically to save for the next game. He was wrong, and Wichita State got the trophy.

38 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I didn't get to watch that game, but after I found out we lost, I honestly thought we had another game to play because I was under the impression that it was still double elimination.

Imagine my surprise . . . 

I don't recall anyone being aware of the one-game deal. I wasn't tremendously unhappy about the loss until the talking heads started in on the deal. You sure as hell were not the only one surprised.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I'd call it more a brain fart total malfunction than a choke. NCAA let a TV network dictate the play, and it changed from a total double-elimination to a one-game finish. Gus (allegedly) didn't realize it was winner take all, and thought we could still come back if we lost for the first time in the tournament, and managed the game basically to save for the next game. He was wrong, and Wichita State got the trophy.

Didnt know that backstory. Gus is a fucking dipshit for not knowing the stakes. 

Also, we had 3 errors in one inning and fucked up a pickle at home plate. We soiled it. 

10 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

Well, now we know why this pitcher didn’t last long in his last two starts

Hold the fucking phone.  Why the fuck is he starting tonight then?  Well, not anymore.  But y'all want a coach that chose to start a guy that didn't make it out of the first inning in the first game of the fucking championship?