senseless gun violence

Derka

if we already have a thread then please move this post there. if not, this can serve as a catch-all for the senseless gun violence which just about defines this country. let it be known that the stated intent of this thread is to mirror those for bad cops and rapey clergymen, aka a place to post and discuss these news events, and NOT a place to argue about the 2A. 

i’ll start us off with this horrifying story of a wanna-be cop murdering a 17 year old kid because the kid “wouldn’t comply with my commands”. this story is just insane, and yet it’s not a one-off. so damn maddening.

https://www.fox13seattle.com/news/teen-shot-renton-big-5-sporting-goods.amp

• Rage+1 1

That's an awful story. False imprisonment of multiple people, probably racially motivated (so federal civil rights violations, as well), whatever crime constitutes making deadly threats, and of course the murder charges for following through on those threats.

Hope that 51-year-old wanna-be never sees the outside of a prison.

What an absolutely senseless tragedy.

• Like 1

A pair of new(ish) case precedents being set the last several years all around the country. 

Some version of:

"Slowly reach for/drop your weapon and then raise your hands above/behind your head."

-But I don't have a weapon!

"You're not complying!"  (opens fire, person had no weapon on them)

Some version of:

Good guy raises gun to person in threatening manner.  Other person is unarmed and panics so attempts to strike the gun holder or grab their gun to protect themselves.  Gun holder views this as an affront to his safety so they open fire on the unarmed person, claiming self-defense.  The twisted version of this is you order pizza, amazon, or grubhub to your door.  Delivery shows up, you shoot them claiming they were behaving in an erratic fashion and you felt threatened they were going to break into your home.  All of these scenarios will only add up to a few dozen murders per year, but isn't one enough?  

• 3 weeks later...

Just defending himself and his home.  castle doctrine and all that.  Doesn’t really fit the pattern to shoot yourself in the head afterwards, If you’re just exercising your rights.  But hey, let’s get him a bigger gun next time.  

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

That's certainly some police work there, Lou.

image.png.9221cbb7c6dc0a20395995e66d291861.png

image.png.f3349d1a7f61eeb2654fe4d3dbdbc42c.png

In a related story, the founders of the True Texas Project commented “I don’t condone the actions, but I certainly understand where they came from" and "You're not going to demographically replace a once proud, strong people without getting blow-back."

I mean, they said that about the El Paso Wal-Mart shooter, no reason they wouldn't say it here.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Derka said:

What are you fucking doing running up there in traffic with a gun in your hand...Only two results are going to happen, you are either going to jail maybe prison, because you know people are filming, or you're going to catch some coming back at you, which is what happened.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Doesn’t belong in this thread. That was a good shoot.

a road rage incident where one guy pulls a gun on another motorist only to then get shot to death himself is the definition of senseless gun violence. what a stupid thing to die over.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, Derka said:

Coming up and punching the door with your weapon still in your hand is beyond dumb.  He's lucky he didn't shoot himself in the chest and end it right there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AbeFroman said:

What are you fucking doing running up there in traffic with a gun in your hand...Only two results are going to happen, you are either going to jail maybe prison, because you know people are filming, or you're going to catch some coming back at you, which is what happened.

This type of incident is why I'm opposed to people walking around with guns. They see red for whatever reason, and they grab their gun. Too many people cannot control their emotions and they want to show someone that you can't screw with them.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, SameSame said:

Coming up and punching the door with your weapon still in your hand is beyond dumb.  He's lucky he didn't shoot himself in the chest and end it right there.

He'd been lucky if the other guy missed.

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This type of incident is why I'm opposed to people walking around with guns. They see red for whatever reason, and they grab their gun. Too many people cannot control their emotions and they want to show someone that you can't screw with them.

A whole lot of this.

A fight is just a fight.  But when you show up with a gun, the entire episode is now a gunfight.  And people die in gunfights.  

FFS, the geniuses behind "Friday" told us this decades ago.  But we're too stupid to learn.

B6ZH6oxcvpdbaK0nYPV67vwyWxnujOAhdnOWqkIu

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So, yes people that can't control their own emotions should not be carrying guns... But they do. 

1 minute ago, JMFP said:

So, yes people that can't control their own emotions should not be carrying guns... But they do. 

It's worse than that.  It's an inverse relationship: those least able to control their emotions/keep their cool are generally the most likely to be carrying a gun.

The more balanced you are, and the more you are likely to avoid unnecessary and unproductive conflict, the less likely you are to carry a gun.

TLDR; carrying a gun enables amped up idiocy.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's worse than that.  It's an inverse relationship: those least able to control their emotions/keep their cool are generally the most likely to be carrying a gun.

The more balanced you are, and the more you are likely to avoid unnecessary and unproductive conflict, the less likely you are to carry a gun.

TLDR; carrying a gun enables amped up idiocy.

I don't disagree.

I don't usually carry (on person or in a vehicle) unless I'm traveling with my family. I've said here before that if by myself I feel fairly confident that I can avoid or remove myself from a bad situation if I need to, but not so much when directing the wife and kids too.

My dad always said never let anyone know you have a gun and never pull it unless you need to use it. And use it if you pull it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SameSame said:

Yep and what likely got him shot is he switched the gun to the other hand out of view of the driver, after he hits the door handle with it.....and then raises the right hand (the original gun hand) after switching the gun to the left hand and points his finger.....its at that moment he is forever muted.

15 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Well that looks staged as fuck.

Do people really fish in the bayous at an overpass? Two, never let strangers get that close to you. 

But this situation plus having the perfect camera angle makes me think it's fake too.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Do people really fish in the bayous at an overpass? Two, never let strangers get that close to you. 

But this situation plus having the perfect camera angle makes me think it's fake too.

This dude does apparently. He has other random overpass fishing videos on his channel that pre date this one. I doubt it’s fake. I think he just lives in a rough part of Houston called Houston. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Derka said:

i never ventured into the cloak room until the last few weeks and i am now discovering there is a lengthy thread for this subject already in progress. that makes sense. what doesn’t make sense is how mass shootings and school slayings are a political issue.

It's a political issue, because only government regulation can have any effect on access to guns/assault rifles/etc. and a good part of our 'government' has decided it not only has no interest  in doing so but actively promotes the weapons prevalently used in mass shootings and stonewalls any attempts to reduce mass shootings.  That's pretty much it.