senseless gun violence

Derka

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

Not sure if propaganda, but I read that crimes like these aren’t being reported any longer which of course means rates will obviously go down.

Where'd you "read" this?

9 hours ago, bolverk said:

Homicides aren't being reported. Where the fuck did you read that?

Let's think about this for a moment by using our god-given intelligence and the years of higher education that (hopefully) taught us to think critically. The CDC, which retrieves its data from cause-of-death reports by local coroners, has fallen victim to some cabal-like conspiracy to suppress local homicide rates across the country.

Is that what you're going with? To what end? Was there a massive Zoom call for coroners during which they all agreed they would lie to the federal government?

Or are you going to fall back on being gullible to the bullshit lies spawned by Covid deniers on Xitter that there's a conspiracy by the feds to change the cause of death numbers to suit some nefarious purpose? This is as bad as the embarrassing moment you suffered when posting about googling 3-digit numbers on Covid cases?

Aren't you tired of being played, or do you simply enjoy being lied to so that you can feel validated?

you seem like the type of person who has never entered a random three digit number and covid deaths into the google search bar to see what mysteries abound before, bolverk.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

You think that’s on the gun? That kid was obviously mentally unstable.

a sick kid shooting himself in the head is senseless gun violence. and no it’s not on the gun, it’s on his mom and stepdad who knew about how badly he was struggling and still gave him access to a gun.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

a sick kid shooting himself in the head is senseless gun violence. and no it’s not on the gun, it’s on his mom and stepdad who knew about how badly he was struggling and still gave him access to a gun.

Without getting into an argument with you, that kid could have picked plenty of ways to end it. I know a guy that hung himself, I’m not blaming it on the rope.

29 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Without getting into an argument with you, that kid could have picked plenty of ways to end it. I know a guy that hung himself, I’m not blaming it on the rope.

I don't think anyone would blame the thing he used to kill himself. Just questioning the easy availability to such a thing when a guy has displayed what are clear mental issues. It's not just himself that he could have hurt.

Usually when people are that clearly mentally unstable you do everything you can to not leave weapons or drugs or ropes or anything else around that they could use to hurt themselves. This was a failure and should be learned from.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lot of assumptions of the availability of the gun.  Do we know if the father had a safe?  Everyone here does know of course how insanely easy they are to get into, right?  Kids obviously lives in the cyber world.  My guess is he could crack into your phone in minutes (as mine can), yet he can't figure out a keypad safe (most common) that has 4-6 digits?

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Like I said, lot of assumptions here

Because it's a ridiculous train of thought. I've owned multiple gun safes. The only way someone--without professional tools--was getting into them "insanely easily" is if I was careless/stupid with the combinations. Even when facing a teenager who lives in the "cyber world."

But I'm sure wrongly thinking that gun safes are barely a deterrent helps you to justify keeping your own guns unlocked, so carry on.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Because it's a ridiculous train of thought. I've owned multiple gun safes. The only way someone--without professional tools--was getting into them "insanely easily" is if I was careless/stupid with the combinations. Even when facing a teenager who lives in the "cyber world."

But I'm sure wrongly thinking that gun safes are barely a deterrent helps you to justify keeping your own guns unlocked, so carry on.

What models?

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

What models?

I honestly couldn't tell you. But they're on a police report somewhere. My dad passed down a few of his handguns to me in two safes, one keypad, one combo lock. They were stolen (the entire safes, not just the guns) out of my apartment just before I moved out of Texas.

I really don't want to start another gun control conversation. I just pointed out what I thought was very obvious, uncontroversial common sense: safely store your fucking guns, especially if you have minors living with you. But really always.

You comparing cracking a gun safe to your kid accessing your phone--of which they see you enter your pin a dozen times a day and can be easily booted in recovery mode--is asinine. But I'm happy to admit that I'm wrong if you can find me a few examples of household shootings where someone who didn't have the combination broke into a proper gun safe.

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I honestly couldn't tell you. But they're on a police report somewhere. My dad passed down a few of his handguns to me in two safes, one keypad, one combo lock. They were stolen (the entire safes, not just the guns) out of my apartment just before I moved out of Texas.

I really don't want to start another gun control conversation. I just pointed out what I thought was very obvious, uncontroversial common sense: safely store your fucking guns, especially if you have minors living with you. But really always.

You comparing cracking a gun safe to your kid accessing your phone--of which they see you enter your pin a dozen times a day and can be easily booted in recovery mode--is asinine. But I'm happy to admit that I'm wrong if you can find me a few examples of household shootings where someone who didn't have the combination broke into a proper gun safe.

So you know nothing about gun safes.  Gotcha.  If you did, you would know that most of the "affordable" safes, which are what most of us have, run off keypads.  Keypads require batteries.  Batteries run out.  Batteries can be replaced.  Based upon the model, replacing the battery can reset the key code.  That's if the battery is on the tumbler.  If it's inside, there is usually a jack socket to the inside of the safe and most panels are removable, revealing a reset button.

The obvious point being simply having a safe by no means equates to ensuring restricted access to a minor.  

On 10/8/2024 at 10:22 PM, markstanco said:

Not sure if propaganda, but I read that crimes like these aren’t being reported any longer which of course means rates will obviously go down.

Well, there is some truth in that the FBI changed their reporting software and larger cities have been slow to adapt to it. This was in the 2020-2021 timeframe.

So, FBI had stats based on data in the new system from approximately 60-70% of reporting jurisdictions and then revised to take into account those without the new form of data.

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So you know nothing about gun safes.  Gotcha.  If you did, you would know that most of the "affordable" safes, which are what most of us have, run off keypads.  Keypads require batteries.  Batteries run out.  Batteries can be replaced.  Based upon the model, replacing the battery can reset the key code.  That's if the battery is on the tumbler.  If it's inside, there is usually a jack socket to the inside of the safe and most panels are removable, revealing a reset button.

The obvious point being simply having a safe by no means equates to ensuring restricted access to a minor.  

I got a 12 gun safe on sale a decade ago for $500 that comes with an old school dial combo lock with no batteries. They're out there and not hard to find, if that sort of thing matters to you.

But like, if your kids are getting that gung ho to break into your safe, you're raising some miscreants lol

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Please, please find me the documentation of a legit, affordable gun safe where removing the batteries resets the keycode. Our office's $200 Amazon laptop storage cabinet has somehow figured out that conundrum.

But fine, there's a 1% chance that this 14 year old cracked his dad's gun safe. Thank you for your contribution, and sorry for assuming that the 99% chance that the gun wasn't properly stored is what happened.

25 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I got a 12 gun safe on sale a decade ago for $500 that comes with an old school dial combo lock with no batteries. They're out there and not hard to find, if that sort of thing matters to you.

But like, if your kids are getting that gung ho to break into your safe, you're raising some miscreants lol

I would love to hear BabaYaga's explanation on how all of these modern day safe manufacturers that allow easy access into their safes from people without the owner's or manufacturer's code or backup key are staying in business.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I would love to hear BabaYaga's explanation on how all of these modern day safe manufacturers that allow easy access into their safes from people without the owner's or manufacturer's code or backup key are staying in business.

I never said there was no thought to using owners codes.  Almost every mainstream safe comes with a preloaded initial code upon purchase for access.  If it's a smaller one, you can usually just bump them open.  Most also just come with a key that you can physically insert.  No passcode required.  Pulling the batteries often triggers the option to reset from outside the safe.  Or the beforementioned reset button is often under the panel.  

For example, the factory reset on a Winchester safe is/was 1-2-3-4-5-6.  Others are "0-0-0-0".  You don't think a kid contemplating suicide is above spending a few minutes online to get the factory reset?  You don't think that a kid in such distress would then move on to something else like pills?  Weird how the parents are suing the AI chatbot company and not the gun you seem so fascinated with highlighting