RIP The Logo, Jerry West has died.

It's probably inarguable that he had the greatest basketball career in history, all things considered. Never saw him play and by all rights he was an all time great, but what an absolutely legendary front office man. Put together the Showtime Lakers, the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, the grit and grind Grizzlies, and the Splash Brothers Warriors. 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

west.gif

And after all that, he probably gets remembered as a psycho from a TV show that took way too many artistic liberties.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

DP taking it hard, he was very close with Jerry....if you've ever watched him on DP show you'll agree he was awesome there. I love Dan's show because you get a look into who these guys really are... West was just impeccable. And Dan jokes that he would be so mad at us for talking about him instead of the Finals series.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

Man this one sucks. I am glad his wife was with him as he went onto the great beyond, but him and Walton in such a short time is a tremendous loss for the game of basketball. One of the things that stuck with me about him was that despite everything he accomplished as a player and executive he never could get past all those losses to THOSE GUYS in the Finals. The man was just driven to always win and when he failed time and again against the only nemesis he could not conquer as a player he never let go of it. 

Now you can rest Mr. West. Go hangout with Wilt and Elgin. Thank you for all you did for the game of basketball, especially us Laker fans that you gave so many great moments with the decisions you made.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Uh oh….things come in 3s… Walton, west….MN legend Trevor winter?

Robert Hughes died this morning, retired from FW Dunbar as the winnigest boys basketball coach ever. Legend

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Robert Hughes died this morning, retired from FW Dunbar as the winnigest boys basketball coach ever. Legend

That definitely qualifies as the 3rd one. Even in retirement he still went out and scouted opponents for his son. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Yeah, but it usually takes being an over-driven asshole to be as great a Jerry West. It probably wasn't too far off. 

Objection.  This is irrelevant, immaterial and incompetent.  Introducing facts not based on evidence.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Deej said:

Yeah, but it usually takes being an over-driven asshole to be as great a Jerry West. It probably wasn't too far off. 

I didn't think they depicted West badly at all. Driven to the point where he was borderline crazy. Hated losing possibly more than any player ever. A complete perfectionist who was never satisfied and never thought he did enough. But always with the proper intention.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Everyone knows Jerry West was a prolific scorer, but he was just as adept as a passer.  West could change the flow of a game at will.   A team player who played hard on both sides of the court.  He never flopped, was humble, and refused to even dunk a ball.  A classy guy all the way around.  Godspeed, Jerry.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, msbesq said:

Loved him and Walt Frazier as a kid.

One of my earliest memories as a kid was watching West throw in a half-courter at the buzzer in the NBA Finals against the Knicks.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, msbesq said:

Loved him and Walt Frazier as a kid.

Walt's my favorite NBA player, still enjoy listening to him do Knicks games... dishing and swishing.  Unfortunately he gets paired with that BANG fuckstick Breen too often. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

One of my earliest memories as a kid was watching West throw in a half-courter at the buzzer in the NBA Finals against the Knicks.  

Loved those early 70s Knicks teams so fun to watch, Pops Spurs teams reminded me of those Knicks. 

21 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Caught Marc Stein on the radio this morning and he mentioned another nickname for West was Loco. So the Jason Clarke portrayal may not have been that far off.

I read something about how he never remembered the highs of his career, just the missed chances and what could have been and they never stopped eating at him. Jason Clarke's portrayal wasn't far off.