Texas Men's Tennis '24 - '25

10SNE1

Hi UT Tennis Fan,

I hope you are having a great summer!

Today, the ITA named Eliot Spizzirri National Player of the Year for the 2nd year in a row. Eliot is now only the 4th player in college tennis history to be named National Player of the Year on more than one occasion. Micah Braswell was named the National Senior Player of the Year. Two amazing honors for two great Longhorns! For all the details, please click on this press release. By the way, both Micah and Eliot are playing their first tournaments as full time professionals this week in Wichita. Also competing in Wichita are Cleeve Harper, Sebastian Gorzny, and Jonah Braswell, while Lucas Brown is competing in a UTR Pro Circuit event in South Carolina.

I am sad to announce that Ryan Lipman has decided to retire from college coaching and pursue other career opportunities in his hometown of Nashville. As much as Ryan enjoyed his time in Austin, this was just the right decision for his young family at this time, and we wish him nothing but the best. On the bright side, we were able to do a quick search and get our top choice to take his place. Benjamin Becker will join our coaching staff in July, and I have no doubt that he will make an enormous positive impact, just as Ryan Lipman and Brandon Wagner did. "Benni" was an NCAA singles and team champion at Baylor, and went on to a very successful career in professional tennis, reaching an ATP high ranking of #35. Please click on this press release for the full story.

Have a great weekend, and Hook'em! 

Sincerely,

Bruce Berque

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi UT Tennis Fan,

I am writing to share a very nice interview that was done with Eliot Spizzirri on KickServeRadio.com by Texas Tennis alumni Andy Zodin and Jonny Levine (interview with Eliot). The segment with Eliot starts at the 28:45 (28 minutes, 45 seconds) mark of the most recent interview at the top of the page.

Speaking of Eliot, he has had a great start to his full time pro career, winning the singles title at the Tulsa $25k event last week, and reaching the final the previous week at the Wichita $25k. Fittingly, his only loss was in the Wichita final to teammate Micah Braswell, who is also off to a sizzling start with the Wichita championship and a quarterfinal in Tulsa (losing to Eliot). Cleeve Harper also had two great weeks at these events, reaching both doubles finals (with Eliot in the first week). Many of our guys will be back in action next week, and I will be sure to keep you posted with any significant results. Have a great weekend, and Hook'em! 

Sincerely,

Bruce Berque

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi UT Tennis Fan,

Greetings from cold and wet Wimbledon! I am here recruiting at the junior event, and trying to stay warm and dry! I'm sure many of you saw former Longhorn Lulu Sun's big win today to reach the quarterfinals of the women's draw, all the way from qualifying! Pretty exciting! On the men's side, 2015 NCAA doubles champion and graduate Lloyd Glasspool is on to the 3rd round tomorrow, and I am looking forward to watching in person.

Back in North America, Eliot Spizzirri won another $25k pro event, this time in Canada. That's 2 pro tournament wins in 3 attempts this summer for Eliot. His only loss was in the final of the first tournament to Micah Braswell. Cleeve Harper also reached 3 doubles finals in a row (same 3 tournaments as Eliot). Micah Braswell won his first tournament (over Eliot in the final), lost to Eliot in the quarters in his 2nd tournament, and then dropped a 3 set match to an ATP #233 Yuta Shimizu in his first Challenger event. This coming week Eliot and Cleeve are stepping up to a $75k Challenger in Winnipeg, while Micah, Jonah Braswell, and hopefully Lucas Brown will play qualifying for the $25k event at SMU's Indoor facility starting tomorrow. I will continue to keep you posted as our players have noteworthy results.

Hook'em!

Sincerely,

Bruce Berque

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

HI UT Tennis Fan,

I hope you had a great weekend!  Timo Legout, who redshirted last season, won his 3rd pro singles title last week ($15k in Bastia-Luciana, France).  He then hopped on a train to Rognac, France, and will be competing there in another $15k this week.  Also last week Eliot Spizzirri picked up his first ATP Tour win in Newport, and Evan Burnett picked up another ATP point in Rochester, NY.  This week Micah Braswell will play a Challenger in Chicago, Cleeve Harper will be playing the $25k in Champaign, and Gilles-Arnaud Bailly will be playing a $15k in Germany.  Our new assistant coach, Benjamin ("Benni") Becker has found his way to Austin, and has already been on the court with some of our guys.  Replacing Ryan Lipman was no small task, but I am happy to say that we got ourselves a great coach!  Until next time, Hook'em!

Sincerely,

Bruce Berque

• Hook 'Em 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...