The Melting Pot

I agreed to go to this place today at my daughter's request. Last day of 5th grade, sure. Never been. Not much of a cheese or chocolate guy. But holy fuckballs. This place will give you raw chicken, and let you cook it yourself at your table, with a general guide offered up only if asked that you should probably cook it for at least 3.5 minutes per side. What could possibly go wrong? 

Posted (edited)

Yeah I was not impressed. My son liked his bourbon steak that he barely seared on each side. The chicken, though...I was wishing I brought my Thermapen. I think I cooked it for 22 minutes before I felt ok about serving it to my daughter. I have shook my head in wonderment that U.R. Cooks was able to stay in business without e coli outbreaks back when I lived in Austin. Melting Pot sees your raw beef cross contamination stations, raises to raw chicken and says hold my beer. 

Edited by Baboontyme
salmonella, e coli, whatever it takes
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

38 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I have shook my head in wonderment that U.R. Cooks was able to stay in business without e coli outbreaks back when I lived in Austin. Melting Pot sees your raw beef cross contamination stations, raises to raw chicken and says hold my beer. 

Yes.  I never understood that U.R. Cooks place.  If I'm gonna be getting stinked up grilling steaks, I'm gonna be doing it out on my deck and drinking my own whiskey. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Yes.  I never understood that U.R. Cooks place.  If I'm gonna be getting stinked up grilling steaks, I'm gonna be doing it out on my deck and drinking my own whiskey. 

Agreed. I always thought if you wanted to throw up from eating gross undercooked food you could just go across the street to Trudy's. At least there you could get a Mexican Martini. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’d rather go to a hibachi or Korean bbq type place because the value and food ratio is way better. 

We just went to a Korean hot pot place on Sunday and it sucked. The "grill" was like a low power Barbie-bake-oven. Way too much work and the meat quality was shit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

No, you went because your friend worked there. You paid for a salad bar and got whatever steak you wanted.

• Hook 'Em 1

Only been to Melting Pot once and it was my nephew's choice for his bday. The cheese fondue was bland af and they don't put kirsch in it. I asked the server and she said you can special request it because the owner keeps some there for the occasions when he has a meal there. Haven't been back. I wouldn't order chicken fondue. Yuck. Cheese, chocolate, veggies, that's pretty much all.

The Korean hot pot experience sucked for me too.  Quality and seasoning of the  meat wasn’t great even on the top tier, hot pot wasn’t hot enough, over priced and I’d guarantee most cross contaminate. 

This hits close to home.  The one time my wife, then girlfriend,drug me to the Melting Pot has remained a point of friction in our relationship all these years later.  I refuse to let it die that we were boiling steak.  Boiling freaking steak. Shameful 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

This hits close to home.  The one time my wife, then girlfriend,drug me to the Melting Pot has remained a point of friction in our relationship all these years later.  I refuse to let it die that we were boiling steak.  Boiling freaking steak. Shameful 

They give you a mini cast iron griddle now. Still, I think their corporate overlords would be wise to pull the chicken off of the menu. Chicken sushi should not be a thing.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I refuse to let it die that we were boiling steak.  Boiling freaking steak. Shameful 

My mom used to do steak fondue regularly way back when fondue was all the rage. She’d put oil in the pot where you’d fry bite-sized cubes of meat. Served with bearnaise and sour cream/horseradish sauce. It was a fun family meal

Edited by TonyTexas

On 6/13/2024 at 10:28 PM, Baboontyme said:

Agreed. I always thought if you wanted to throw up from eating gross undercooked food you could just go across the street to Trudy's. At least there you could get a Mexican Martini. 

And then move on to the other two for the Trudy’s challenge. And hope they don’t phone ahead to the other locations to let them know of your shenanigans. 

• Haha 1

Is melting pot gourmet fare? Nope. But it’s a ton of fun for a young folks needing experiential events that get them off their fucking phones. Same with teppanyaki and Korean barbecue.

When we liven in Denver there was a melting pot in an old mine in Louisville. It was a cool joint for basically dull queso and some chocolate dip.

10 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

My mom used to do steak fondue regularly way back when fondue was all the rage. She’d put oil in the pot where you’d fry bite-sized cubes of meat. Served with bearnaise and sour cream/horseradish sauce. It was a fun family meal

\