Spanish-Language Music that frees you from the mundane expectations of this world

RDCanecutter

I'm talkin' Spain, Mexico, Tejas, Central America, Caribbean, South America. We'll include Portuguese and maybe the southern half of Italy. A'ight.

I sang this the other day in a Mexican restaurant in Gardendale Alabama and the waiter from Chiapas kicked in on the chorus:

• Hook 'Em 6

Posted (edited)

I had a sort of reunion recently where my first serious high school girlfriend, who I hadn't seen in 30 years, requested this one and then sat down in front of me and just locked eyes with me.  It was a moment, or it was meant to be a moment.  And then about one verse in our non-spanish speaking friend sitting next us just talked and talked all the way through it.  I kept it cool. But inside...we were laughing.  

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

and used so effectively here

especially given the translation

The Spanish lyrics use the image of a migrating swallow to evoke sentiments of longing for the homeland. It became the signature song of the exiled Mexicans

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

When she showed up in Honduras with Miami Sound Machine my brother says who, what? I convince him to take me. Hell of a show.

Going into a different style. Group was overlooked. Go to 1:26 for the music. But if you watched things like El Show del Medio Dia, this is what you got. Ole W Vargas gave me a shout out. El primer gringo merenguero.

And their dancing is the shit  Bacon could have learned from them. (I kid, but that was the style)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

In newer music, taking the state by storm from the Valley is Grupo Frontero. Anyone that follows Spanish language music will know them by now, but our tickets to see them at AT&T Center in August were >$200 for upper level seats.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

On 6/14/2024 at 5:14 PM, UTCzech III said:

and used so effectively here

especially given the translation

The Spanish lyrics use the image of a migrating swallow to evoke sentiments of longing for the homeland. It became the signature song of the exiled Mexicans

Golondrinas chose my little house in Mexico to build a nest right by the front door. A neighbor brought her tiny daughter around, who was most interested in the plops of dried birdshit underneath. "Son sus popos" the child said. I had been echando popos all my life but that was the day I learned the word.

• Haha 1

I only speak English, but probably 25% of my liked songs on Spotify are non-english. Not surprising that Spotify's automated "DJ" played this as "something I think you'll like".  He was right.

No idea what it's about, and don't really want to know. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I only speak English, but probably 25% of my liked songs on Spotify are non-english. Not surprising that Spotify's automated "DJ" played this as "something I think you'll like".  He was right.

No idea what it's about, and don't really want to know. 

It's a great song

• Drool 1

Thinking more about this thread and my favorite Spanish music might just be a random Norteno band getting out of a van somewhere in Texas right now about to play a quince in front of 300 people with a shit ton of chile rojo and Modelo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, texas08 said:

My Dominican homie introduced me to Johnny. Chachooooo, Que Tigre!

El Rey del Merengue. Damn cool dude. When that video was made he was emerging. Being a 7 year old Gringo backstage was a blast. Was fun to watch how he worked.

• Like 1