Spanish-Language Music that frees you from the mundane expectations of this world

RDCanecutter

Didn’t know anything about William Beckmann until someone posted him above.  Here he is covering a “Los Bukis” song (Marco Antonio Solís). In the previous post he was covering Vicente. 

Side note: this dude sings pretty damn good country. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was wondering who would introduce Banda to the mix. 

Fitting that it’s a Czech!

So Banda has a nasty reputation that it’s “for rancho/poor/uneducated people”. 

I laugh at that perception because it’s usually Mexicans that are trying to be “sophisticated” that talk shit about Banda (or gringos that associate Banda with illegals/construction workers…therefore if you listen to Banda you’re illegal/construction worker since Banda is played at construction sites…well no shit it gets the workers hype and enjoying the work day). 

I have German friends that love Banda because the sounds and melodies are very similar to German music. I’ve danced Banda with an 80 year old German lady because of how much she liked it and reminded her of German bands. 

There are variations of Banda too, some do say stupid ass stuff about killing and nothing but violent shit, that I don’t care about. But the classics, I’ll bump to as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, texas08 said:

I was wondering who would introduce Banda to the mix. 

Fitting that it’s a Czech!

So Banda has a nasty reputation that it’s “for rancho/poor/uneducated people”. 

I laugh at that perception because it’s usually Mexicans that are trying to be “sophisticated” that talk shit about Banda (or gringos that associate Banda with illegals/construction workers…therefore if you listen to Banda you’re illegal/construction worker since Banda is played at construction sites…well no shit it gets the workers hype and enjoying the work day). 

I have German friends that love Banda because the sounds and melodies are very similar to German music. I’ve danced Banda with an 80 year old German lady because of how much she liked it and reminded her of German bands. 

There are variations of Banda too, some do say stupid ass stuff about killing and nothing but violent shit, that I don’t care about. But the classics, I’ll bump to as well. 

Yep.  My polka band is one of the few pure brass bands left in Texas, we've been told many times that we have a very mariachi sound.  Love it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm not sure that the musicians were even playing the same song in that second Banda video.

Now polka - Twin Lakes Polka, Yamahoozie Polka aka Kiss Me Polka, Polka Twist . . .

@UTCzech III does your band ever make it north of Austin?  

Out of state you mean? No.  Just north of Austin, sure, we were in Ennis last month and have a few Oktoberfest dates in Round Rock, Taylor, etc later this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Out of state you mean? No.  Just north of Austin, sure, we were in Ennis last month and have a few Oktoberfest dates in Round Rock, Taylor, etc later this year.

Nice.  If you send me the details for Round Rock and Taylor, I'd love to come Czech y'all out.

UT was always Mexico dominated. I learned a lot from going to ILAS there. BTW, we kicked MAS's ass when we played. So will walk away from the Merengue and go South America. If these songs are not Surly I quit.

Perhaps the worst song...

On 6/17/2024 at 8:25 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

I only speak English, but probably 25% of my liked songs on Spotify are non-english. Not surprising that Spotify's automated "DJ" played this as "something I think you'll like".  He was right.

No idea what it's about, and don't really want to know. 

Natalia is a force of nature. She comes from French (circus?) people who settled in Veracruz, got kicked in the head by a horse as a child, and just keeps knocking them out of the park. Here is the same song with Los Angeles Azules:

Looks like she'll be in Texas in August, according to the notes on above video.

I moved to Mexico around when one of her first songs came out, and she was leaping about like a drunk muppet. My girffriend didn't like her because she was "Chilanga," an inaccurate critique that didn't help our relationship.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is an ancient video from a couple who traveled through Central America, but it speaks to me. Music by Manu Chao and Cuban Barrio.

If you want to jump straight to A Caballo Vamos pa'l Monte, here you go:

Earlier version of same song, aka El Carretero. If you've ever crossed a mountain on horseback, this captures it:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

This is an ancient video from a couple who traveled through Central America, but it speaks to me. Music by Manu Chao and Cuban Barrio.

If you want to jump straight to A Caballo Vamos pa'l Monte, here you go:

Earlier version of same song, aka El Carretero. If you've ever crossed a mountain on horseback, this captures it:

Man, now I am homesick. I want Pupusas and fresh Tamarindo juice.

And Buena Vista was the shit.

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)

Peru. Dude slayed all over Latin America. Wife was an amazing Chef in San Juan. When I moved to Peru his family adopted us. Late nights in down town Lima after curfew eating Pan con Pavo and sharing beers out out of a single cup.

Edited by InkaUtexas

Great thread.

So I was doing a little innerwebz research on "Volver, Volver" which has always struck me as a timeless classic. One of those songs that's just always been around. Turns out I was dead wrong.

It was written in 1972. Hit in 1973. So it's a relatively recent song.

I hope you found that as interesting as I did.

• Drool 1