Maxtor One Touch 4

We have an old external hard drive that won’t connect to Windows 10. Maxtor says it is only compatible with Windows Vista or XP, I don’t have access to any of those older OS. Any ideas on a work around?

5 minutes ago, chikin23 said:

We have an old external hard drive that won’t connect to Windows 10. Maxtor says it is only compatible with Windows Vista or XP, I don’t have access to any of those older OS. Any ideas on a work around?

install Windows XP on a virtual machine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chikin23 said:

What do you mean it doesn't connect? When you plug it in to your W10 box, does it show up in Disk Management?

yeah, been issue for many years apparently... searching it appears no one has found a working solution in 8 years other than finding an old XP pc to use.

depending on value, ask around someone will have one or old pc you can install XP on to get info off

Yeah just pull the drive lmao. 

Maxtor also hasn't existed for a very very long time. That hard drive likely had significant bitrot if you haven't plugged it into power in a long time. Are you local to Austin? I can help you out. 

36 minutes ago, chikin23 said:

Unfortunately I’m not around Austin. I’ll see what I can find as far as taking out the drive. Thanks for the help.

It's pretty easy. Although I'm betting since it's that old it may be an IDE drive. You are going to need one of 2 adapters. Or this 2 in 1

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-External-Reader-Applicable-SA03001/dp/B08BNPXSJ9/ref=asc_df_B08BNPXSJ9/

• Like 1