Can someone explain this France thing to me like I’m 5?

Stringer

Just now, Bateshorn said:

I have a French friend who told me that due to the two rounds of voting, it’s pretty typical for the first round to be “Vote your heart” and the second to be “vote your head”.  Macron was gambling the Left wouldn’t unify and his party would be the beneficiary.  That didn’t happen, but the French turned out in droves to vote against the far right. 

Round 2 is basically

Are You Sure Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

GLad that the far right nazi RN's lost, but Macron's centrist party was the real loser here (to the left's amazing and astonishing win). Centrists lost a third of their seats in a referendum against Macron. He's basically a lame-duck president for 3 years now until his term ends in 2027.

This was interesting too, France’s former president François Hollandewon a seat with the left-leaning coalition group.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's fun

The far-right National Rally party, whose formal leader is Marine Le Pen, known for her pro-Russian views, is outraged that they did not win any key positions in the National Assembly after the election.

Today, July 20, France elected the heads of eight standing committees of the lower house of the French parliament. The bloc of the current president Emmanuel Macron united with a coalition of leftists and even the right-wing Republican party to prevent Le Pen's party from gaining important positions.

Also the left won a bunch of key leadership positions when the centrists left early to go to bed