Terrence Howard Is Legitimately Insane

Derka

8 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I wouldn't say uneducated. You see this kind of personality in engineering a lot, especially if you're in software. Lots of people that will learn just enough to think they're smarter than everyone else but don't have enough self-awareness/sense to recognize what they don't know. Constantly trying to reinvent the wheel, etc.

On top of that, there's almost no way he has anyone in his orbit that he respects enough to listen to when they tell him what he's saying is nonsense. If he's that twisted about Neil D. Tyson's very respectful critique, then there's no shot anyone close to him is getting through to him even a little bit.

I mean, just think about this for a second:

Imagine being fortunate enough to be able to send the most famous astrophysicist in the world a bunch of nonsense and gibberish, and then having him actually take you seriously and give you frank & honest notes like he would do for any of his scientific peers....and your response is to then throw a tantrum and put him on blast while you talk to a tiny little ninja turtle looking chimpanzee man on one of the widest reaching platforms there is. Wild shit.

Curiously, although that fits the stereotype of engineer-types, I did not find that to be the case at all.  In the College of Engineering at UT in the late 80s, early 90s, I found my fellow students to be quite well-rounded and informed, and mentally diverse.  Oh, sure, there were a few idiot-savant types, but where are there not.

This was somewhat in contrast to the School of Law, where the intellectual arrogance factor was high.  And, despite the predominance of liberal arts undergrads there, there was a lot of sort of insular, monomaniacal thinking; ivory-towerness, if you will.  Law schools (previously at least) tended to be early adopters of at least educational diversity in apparent recognition of this.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Curiously, although that fits the stereotype of engineer-types, I did not find that to be the case at all.  In the College of Engineering at UT in the late 80s, early 90s, I found my fellow students to be quite well-rounded and informed, and mentally diverse.  Oh, sure, there were a few idiot-savant types, but where are there not.

This was somewhat in contrast to the School of Law, where the intellectual arrogance factor was high.  And, despite the predominance of liberal arts undergrads there, there was a lot of sort of insular, monomaniacal thinking; ivory-towerness, if you will.  Law schools (previously at least) tended to be early adopters of at least educational diversity in apparent recognition of this.

Yeah I think this is more specific to software engineering, which is a rather dubious label to begin with. I probably made it sound more common than it is, but I've met types like this quite a few times.

• Hook 'Em 1

He's is a talented actor.  Full stop.  That is what he is.  He's got a case of the Hollywood overly-self-important bug that he can't seem to shake and it broke his brain when he realized how replaceable he was.    

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Yeah I think this is more specific to software engineering, which is a rather dubious label to begin with. I probably made it sound more common than it is, but I've met types like this quite a few times.

Maybe so, was barely a thing when I was in school.  I was a bit surprised, particularly comparing engineering students to law students and can't say that my experience is typical, normal, or average.  And, most of my comrades were mechanical, which is a bit less abstract than electrical for example.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 5:50 PM, UpperWestside said:

I agree. A quick reading of his life shows no real higher education outside of the Pratt Institute, which closed down. He was pursuing engineering there apparently. He just has a very limited knowledge of the world around him and how things work. He and Kyrie Irving definitely share that in common. 

Pratt Institute is alive and well in Brooklyn.

Mental Health Disorder is the correct diagnosis, not merely uneducated. Someone that is simply uneducated doesn’t reject new Information when presented with it, even if they disagree with it, they labor to learn more about the subject to understand it or to modify their current understanding. 

Declaring math is not real without offering proof other than gibberish word salads, and attacking anyone that disagrees with you is not merely uneducated, but delusional with a heavy dose of narcissistic personality disorder 

31 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Mental Health Disorder is the correct diagnosis, not merely uneducated. Someone that is simply uneducated doesn’t reject new Information when presented with it, even if they disagree with it, they labor to learn more about the subject to understand it or to modify their current understanding. 

Declaring math is not real without offering proof other than gibberish word salads, and attacking anyone that disagrees with you is not merely uneducated, but delusional with a heavy dose of narcissistic personality disorder 

It's eerily similar to Kanye's weird behavior in the years leading up to his Nazi death spiral

15 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Rogan's show used to be pretty good, but since the Spotify deal he won't really (with a small handful of minor exceptions) have anyone on the pod that challenges his beliefs in any way, when before that he legitimately sought out a wide range of viewpoints, had a ton of interesting scientific folks on, some politicians, etc etc. He's a legitimately good interviewer when he comes prepared and gives a shit. He doesn't really give a shit anymore.

Like many Americans, COVID pretty much destroyed his brain and his guests nowadays are mostly dudes in the MMA orbit and cranks.

Rogan was a moon landing conspiracy nutcase going back many years before COVID, and Rogan is still entertaining notions that the Apollo moon landings were fake as of this spring.  Anybody with his resources and who is still fucking dumb enough to entertain such a ridiculous idea and who brings conspiracy nuts on his show to give them a huge platform, well they are just a fucking moron,

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Rogan was a moon landing conspiracy nutcase going back many years before COVID, and Rogan is still entertaining notions that the Apollo moon landings were fake as of this spring.  Anybody with his resources and who is still fucking dumb enough to entertain such a ridiculous idea and who brings conspiracy nuts on his show to give them a huge platform, well they are just a fucking moron,

Yeah, he's absolutely a complete moron (and always was), but he was a legitimately good interviewer before the Spotify deal/COVID. He still platformed cooks and shitty people like Alex Jones regularly, but for every one of them there was a legitimately great guest like Bernie Sanders or Neil Tyson or Richard Dawkins etc etc.

Back then he used to ask questions and listen, nowadays he is either openly combative with anyone that may not agree with his opinions, or he simply refuses to have them on.

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Someone that is simply uneducated doesn’t reject new Information when presented with it, even if they disagree with it, they labor to learn more about the subject to understand it or to modify their current understanding. 

Holy shit, that means at least 70 million Americans 18+ have a mental health disorder

• Haha 1