Old Man Yells at Cloud (or "Classic" songs that suck)

Gil Bang

3 minutes ago, ajax said:

I don't think I've ever seen BMTH called emo anywhere.

Might be the wrong word.  Anyway, nothing like the 'mats or Pixies.  It doesn't matter, I like all kinds of genres (but not whatever that one is) -- whatever gets someone off is no business of mine.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The vast majority of Springsteen's catalog is overproduced garbage. The Saxophone doesn't belong in rock music. About the only thing of his I like is John Moreland's cover of Thunder Road. 

Mick and Keith disagree

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The vast majority of Springsteen's catalog is overproduced garbage. The Saxophone doesn't belong in rock music. About the only thing of his I like is John Moreland's cover of Thunder Road. 

One of my favorite bands as a Lad...  

a515084156134ea5dbe975bea83d9a6a.jpg

They had a xylophone, 2 synths, 3 guitars, drums, bass, and a whole ass horn section.

Phenomenal in concert.

Spoiler

Also Danny is probably the devil.. just sayin'

a7bd06e89ed9025f37088c4ab7c3cad7.gif

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2024 at 9:46 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Flea and Chad Smith f'n rock.  What a rhythm section.

finally got around to listening to Beato's interview with Michael Beinhorn (GREAT interview, btw) and the story about how Chad got the gig is fantastic.

They needed a drummer, held auditions, and Chad was the last guy to show. Everyone before him had been total junk, and he showed up like a big ol frat boy who totally didn't jive with the band's other personalities, so they were bummed that they'd struck out.

And then... he started to play. And that was it. Nearly 40 years with the band.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 12:56 PM, honolulu horn said:

OTOH, it's interesting to me that music I hated as a teenager I actually often like now, probably for that same nostalgic reason but also that I haven't listened to them 10,000 times already.

It depends, right? As a kid/teen I had zero interest in any kind of ballad or slow song; now, I appreciate how good "Broken Wings" by Mr Mister is. I'd switch stations whenever that came in the radio before.

Same thing with most New Wave. I only discovered Missing Persons recently, and while most of their shit is shit, when they are good they're very good.

On 6/19/2024 at 9:36 AM, ajax said:

I can't remember the last time I chose to listen to my favorite bands growing up (Replacements and the Pixies).

ah, well, it's very easy to understand... you liked the fuckin pixies

I figure if a band can't be buggered to be halfway in tune, I can't be buggered to listen to em

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Jbj does rank fairly high on the “rock bands with the shortest male lead vocalist” list.  So he’s got that going for him. 

ok you got me started

See here's the thing. Every time a big time band made their way to the Amarillo Civic Center, it seemed there were 3-4 big tours where the opening act was Bon Jovi. For years. When they were big enough to headline, that's when you knew it was all over.

You see, they didn't get any better. All the good bands had broken up, got strung out on drugs, usually both.

It is no coincidence that Slippery When Wet and Van Hagar both happened in 1986. hair metal was over after 1985.

Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2024 at 11:17 AM, jimmyjazz said:

It was a little overdone with Springsteen, though.

whatever.  There's not a band in the history of ever that wouldn't have been better with Bobby Keys.  Remember that live version of "Whatever gets you through the night" with Lennon, Elton, and Bobby Keys?

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

It depends, right? As a kid/teen I had zero interest in any kind of ballad or slow song; now, I appreciate how good "Broken Wings" by Mr Mister is. I'd switch stations whenever that came in the radio before.

Same thing with most New Wave. I only discovered Missing Persons recently, and while most of their shit is shit, when they are good they're very good.

Dale Bozzio showed her gash in Penthouse back in the day.  i'm sure the internet remembers.

Edit: I checked...the internet remembers

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

whatever.  There's not a band in the history of ever that wouldn't have been better with Bobby Keys.  Remember that live version of "Whatever gets you through the night" with Lennon, Elton, and Bobby Keys?

You're kind of making my point for me -- the Stones didn't have Bobby play a solo on every song.  Springsteen had Clemons play a solo on damn near every song (and now his son).

I didn't hate it, it just felt repetitive.  Kinda like Roy Bittan using that bell tone on keys all the time.  

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

ah, well, it's very easy to understand... you liked the fuckin pixies

I figure if a band can't be buggered to be halfway in tune, I can't be buggered to listen to em

It just wouldn't be the same if they were in tune. 

And I was wrong about not listening to old music. I do go back and listen to Trompe le Monde occasionally, like couple of years.

• Haha 1