Texas Softball Recruiting and Portal Thread

I'm going to read into this that Canady has not told OU yes yet; otherwise, they probably wouldn't be signing mid pitchers from the portal for depth (I assume they have enough already if Canady is a yes).

We need to get CDC involved in the Canady recruitment if he is not already.  I am not joking. 

Edited by bschoolprof

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

I'm going to read into this that Canady has not told OU yes yet; otherwise, they probably wouldn't be signing mid pitchers from the portal for depth (I assume they have enough already if Canady is a yes).

We need to get CDC involved in the Canady recruitment if he is not already.  I am not joking. 

I’ve seen UF, OU, Kansas (home town team), Texas as the most likely schools. I also don’t think she’s making a decision until she’s back from Japan All Stars

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I’ve seen UF, OU, Kansas (home town team), Texas as the most likely schools. I also don’t think she’s making a decision until she’s back from Japan All Stars

Gasso indirectly indicated that they'd recruited Canady hard when Patty was interviewed after the 2023 OU-Stanford game in the WCWS. Canady obviously chose a school and program with a very different vibe than OU softball.

That vibe is the reason that I think Canady doesn't end up in Norman this time also. As others have indicated, going from Palo Alto to Norman is a big jump. Add to it joining a hyper-religious group like Sooners softball. It isn't for a lot of people.

Canady will probably find a better overall fit than OU (ball, books, bucks). Each school has it's own rules, but I know that there are some comparable colleges that will grant a diploma to students who completed a large percent of their credits at the institution (75%, eg). So maybe she can still get a Stanford degree if she's completed three years academically (adding pre-college and off semester credits). Someone here may have knowledge of Stanford's system.

I wonder why Duke isn't in the picture. It's comparable academically, a better overall softball program (averaged 6.5 runs/game), and have an impressive young Black woman as coach. Maybe no NIL? Texas is probably the best overall fit, but would Mike White be the person you want to play for if you could choose anyone?

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, quigley said:

Texas is probably the best overall fit, but would Mike White be the person you want to play for if you could choose anyone?

Other than Patty, I'm not sure there's a better coach out there right now.  We amazingly only had one player leave this year, including several who would get far more playing time at other places for other coaches. The players seem to really like him.  What's the knock on him, from an outsider's perspective?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Other than Patty, I'm not sure there's a better coach out there right now.  We amazingly only had one player leave this year, including several who would get far more playing time at other places for other coaches. The players seem to really like him.  What's the knock on him, from an outsider's perspective?

Good coach and good dude.  Just wound a bit tight but Canady seems all business so that’s not a knock in this case.  I think she ends up UF or UT.  Academics etc.  If it was OU I think she would have already known and announced…

2 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

The rub is that Patty doesn't care. If the freshman are good enough, they play. If they are not, they move on and she goes shopping in the portal with their scholarship monies. 

She is proving she isn't as good at evaluating high school talent but can hammer the portal.   If the old recruiting rules were still intact the dominance of OU wouldn't exist right now.   All of the commits she got from 8th graders have moved on. 

31 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

She is proving she isn't as good at evaluating high school talent but can hammer the portal.   If the old recruiting rules were still intact the dominance of OU wouldn't exist right now.   All of the commits she got from 8th graders have moved on. 

No one can evaluate kids that are 12-14 years old and know with certainty what they will be when they are 18-20. Travel ball has become watered down with teams, and everyone trophy hunts or plays showcase tournaments exclusively. 10 years ago, the best players played up in age, and the best teams had all the best players. College coaches could show up at a tournament and see those kids playing against talented competition. Now they rely on getting kids on campus for camps and evaluating them in drills and simulated games, and that is just not the same.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

The rub is that Patty doesn't care. If the freshman are good enough, they play. If they are not, they move on and she goes shopping in the portal with their scholarship monies. 

That is how college athletics is managed now, those who refuse better consistently win. It's all about titles and our AD seems to be all-in. No one is allowed to claim depth or experience as a reason for failure. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

And HS recruits don’t punish her for it bc they want a title 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

He rarely tweets much at all, so for him and Sing to both do it means we got someone. Not necessarily Canady though. I doubt it actually. Then again, I thought Schloss was a pipe dream. 

I don’t see her deciding until after Japan but who knows. I also doubt it’s Bennett as she just arrived today. That would be a quick commitment 

If her hitting holds up against P5 pitching, I think she will challenge Goode for 2B

Atwood/Stewie

Stewie/Mitchell/KC

Bennett/Goode

Martinez

Hunter/Scott/Mitchell

Scott/Wallace/Henry/Maloney/KC

KC can play the OF or DH or 1B. Wallace probably has the speed to play OF, but we didn’t see her offense much (2 hits in 4 AB, maybe just a PR) so that’s a bit of an unknown. The big question is how to fit Scott, Hunter and Mitchell all in the lineup

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

Bennett against P5 pitching (small sample at ACU)

Texas Tech - 1-3, K

2023 (at TAMUCC)

aggy - 0-3, 2 K in 2 games
Baylor - 1-2
Maryland - 0-3, K
Nebraska - 0-2, SB
Arizona - 1-4, 2 SB in 2 games
Arkansas - 0-3, 3K

Brister's 2023 stats: .446, 27 RBI, 15 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR