Texas Softball Recruiting and Portal Thread

42 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Is pitcher Rylie White still at Tennessee? I remember that’s where she transferred but I haven’t heard her name mentioned in a few years. 

2024 was her senior year. She done 

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn't see this posted.    Well deserved, Coach Steve.   Even though we Surlyites like to criticize at times.  ☺️   Hope you are studying those SEC  pitcher tapes.

AUSTIN, Texas – Using an implemented strategy that resulted in historic offensive statistics, a Big 12 Conference regular season championship and an appearance in the Women's College World Series Championship, Texas' Steve Singleton has been selected as D1Softball's Assistant Coach of the Year, the publication announced.

Texas, which tied its program's single-season wins total with 55, also led the country in batting average with a .370 clip. The Longhorns were also one of just four teams across the country to score 500-or-more (507) runs. UT also set a new single-season home run record, surpassing a mark that previously stood since 2010, while also totaling over 1,000 total bases (1,051) for the first time in program history. 

https://texaslonghorns.com/news/2024/7/8/softballs-singleton-selected-as-d1softballs-assistant-coach-of-the-year.aspx

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Lulz at $1 million for a softball player at tech.  NIL is completely crazy right now.  

Supposedly its one of the Matador guys who is the husband of a former player.

If Canady goes Stanford -> Tech for a million dollars, I will fucking die of laughter.  A) She isn't going to win shit at Tech, B) enjoy the massive downgrade in terms of degree quality, even compared to OU; and C) OU didn't get her. 

From what I am reading, it's coming down to OU, Tech, Texas or return to Stanford.  They all present different opportunities:

OU: Gasso and Rocha.  End of story.  Also will be very good NIL ($250k+)
Tech: big money
Texas: best chance to win a title with the roster returning, plus will likely have a good enough NIL offer 
Stanford: academics and she dragged them to the WCWS twice already

I think Florida is out due to proximity to home.  If distance to home wasn't a factor, she may as well stay at Stanford, especially with her brother just over in Berkeley. 

Edited by Js1

I just saw another message board rumor that OU is going to top Tech's bid with $1.2 million.

I hope that's a joke.  Also glad not to be Gasso when some other players get pissed that one person is getting $1.2 million and they're getting ~$100k or so. 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I just saw another message board rumor that OU is going to top Tech's bid with $1.2 million.

I hope that's a joke.  Also glad not to be Gasso when some other players get pissed that one person is getting $1.2 million and they're getting ~$100k or so. 

PotY caliber D1 athletes in college are going to start getting paid more than their coach. College sports are just like pro sports now 

I predicted NIL would ruin college sports when that genie got let out of the bottle a few years ago. It needs to be reined in.  Having a completely unrestricted free agent model with no cap is a terrible idea. No pro sports league does that, not even baseball.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I predicted NIL would ruin college sports when that genie got let out of the bottle a few years ago. It needs to be reined in.  Having a completely unrestricted free agent model with no cap is a terrible idea. No pro sports league does that, not even baseball.  

NIL will eventually get reined in… it’s just gonna take some time to see how much players are really worth…

Good article about Ryan Brown committing to Tenn. Didn’t have a bad word to say about Texas except she wanted to play every day and be a starter. She was just behind a lot of talented players who are back next year 

https://mainstreetmediatn.com/articles/county/former-independence-softball-standout-transfers-to-tennessee/?pubid=mainstreetmaury

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

The problem is it just makes the season uninteresting. 

If Canady ends up at OU or Texas, I think the final result is pretty much already determined. I would be surprised if OU or Texas doesn't win it all. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

If Canady ends up at OU or Texas, I think the final result is pretty much already determined. I would be surprised if OU or Texas doesn't win it all. 

Okay but just let her end up at Texas. A bigger legacy would be bringing Texas their first title, not OU their 8th or whatever. Boring 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

NIL will eventually get reined in… it’s just gonna take some time to see how much players are really worth…

I think it's going to be exceptionally difficult without congressional action. And I don't foresee congressional action in the current political climate any time soon. 

There is no transparency, and no real mechanism or governing body that can provide it. Without transparency market forces can't really come to bear efficiently. 

There's also not the same kind of commercial incentives in college sports that exist in professional sports. I understand they're not exactly NOT present. Of course they are. But there are plenty of boosters willing to invest massive amounts of money to make sure their favorite alma mater is able to win championships without a monetary return that does not exist in the same way in commercial sports. 

I think we'll continue to see NIL payments explode, even with the settlement, until either the system collapses in some existential way, or congress steps in to provide a workable framework on some level. I don't think there are any other workable solutions. I think a student athlete union has hair all over it and is unworkable as well. 

That said, I hope Canady comes to Texas, is paid a fortune for it, and Texas continues to excel at collegiate sports because of a robust NIL system until it's finally changed. Don't hate the playa, hate the game. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

This must mean that NiJaree Canady told blow u NO!

Screenshot_20240713_190519_Messages.jpg

Does it? Sounds like Gasso hedging her bets, just in case. That staff without Canady or Landry isn’t good enough to go into the SEC.  Didn’t she take Keeney last year regardless of what Maxwell decided?

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Does it? Sounds like Gasso hedging her bets, just in case. That staff without Canady or Landry isn’t good enough to go into the SEC.  Didn’t she take Keeney last year regardless of what Maxwell decided?

Guess not but word is that they only had 1 scholarship left. But we all know that she would trapdoor someone if she wanted to come. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

Guess not but word is that they only had 1 scholarship left. But we all know that she would trapdoor someone if she wanted to come. 

Well you don’t really need a scholarship if she’s making $250k+ in NIL, you just have to manage your travel roster size, but I read there’s more recent scuttle she’s going to return to Stanford. Probably the best scenario if she doesn’t pick us 

Edited by Js1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well you don’t really need a scholarship if she’s making $250k+ in NIL, you just have to manage your travel roster size, but I read there’s more recent scuttle she’s going to return to Stanford. Probably the best scenario if she doesn’t pick us 

That's true. Has she even visited UT that anyone knows of? If she don't pick UT I hope she returns to Stanford. 

Team USA is in Italy for the World Cup which starts Monday but Canady is not on the roster.

From the OU board.

07-13-2024, 03:46 PM   Post #1335
Last year we added Paytn Monticelli and Keeney before landing Maxwell as the 6th total pitcher on the team. Let’s hope the same thing happening this year as Landry would be our 5th

https://www.dirtburglars.com/forum/sports-forums/athletics/other-sports/1403878-8x-time-national-champion-oklahoma-sooner-softball…-4peat’s-sake/page27#post1414433

https://www.usasoftball.com/team-usa/womens-national-team-program/2024-womens-national-team/

On 7/12/2024 at 8:29 AM, Js1 said:

Supposedly its one of the Matador guys who is the husband of a former player.

If Canady goes Stanford -> Tech for a million dollars, I will fucking die of laughter.  A) She isn't going to win shit at Tech, B) enjoy the massive downgrade in terms of degree quality, even compared to OU; and C) OU didn't get her. 

From what I am reading, it's coming down to OU, Tech, Texas or return to Stanford.  They all present different opportunities:

OU: Gasso and Rocha.  End of story.  Also will be very good NIL ($250k+)
Tech: big money
Texas: best chance to win a title with the roster returning, plus will likely have a good enough NIL offer 
Stanford: academics and she dragged them to the WCWS twice already

I think Florida is out due to proximity to home.  If distance to home wasn't a factor, she may as well stay at Stanford, especially with her brother just over in Berkeley. 

If education is that important and wants to win a title, we’re the easiest choice of those. If you’re making strictly a softball decision then I don’t blame her for picking OU, and the though of tech even for a shit ton of money would signal her degree needs are a joke. 

On 7/12/2024 at 12:13 PM, bschoolprof said:

Having a fuck ton of restrictions and regulations will mean that bag game resurfaces. It’s better to be what is now than what it was. Especially considering how much of a pussy our university is about rules. 

1 hour ago, torre said:

Team USA is in Italy for the World Cup which starts Monday but Canady is not on the roster.

She was on Team USA for Japan All Stars, which is a mix of collegiate and post-college players. Not for WBSC World Cup, which I believe is all/only post-college players.

Last month was the Canada Cup, which had TK on Team USA and Citlaly was on Team Mexico

On 7/12/2024 at 7:36 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

I, for one, would love the final result if were the team she picks. Idc how much it cost. Is splurging and winning a title worth it or will we be the Dallas cowboys of college athletics being “all in.”

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

I, for one, would love the final result if were the team she picks. Idc how much it cost. Is splurging and winning a title worth it or will we be the Dallas cowboys of college athletics being “all in.”

Texas money people have balked and walked away from prices of some of the football/MBB players so I don’t for a minute think we’d ever go up to 7 figures for a softball player. But I don’t see why $250k would be so difficult for us 

• Hook 'Em 1

If someone offered me a million dollars to attend Texas tech for a year, I’d have taken that offer, assuming there were no matching offers to consider.  
I can always better my academic profile with a graduate degree, and I’d have a serious head start in life with that post-tax amount in the bank/investments. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas money people have balked and walked away from prices of some of the football/MBB players so I don’t for a minute think we’d ever go up to 7 figures for a softball player. But I don’t see why $250k would be so difficult for us 

If you wouldn’t spend 250-500k to win a title then lol in general imo

On 7/14/2024 at 12:30 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Having a fuck ton of restrictions and regulations will mean that bag game resurfaces. It’s better to be what is now than what it was. Especially considering how much of a pussy our university is about rules. 

Bag game has and will never go away 

16 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know what the price tag is or what Texas is willing to pay but Canady is worth it. 

2 more years of eligibility gives you a great shot of winning 2 titles. Anything less than 1 would be a huge coaching failure. 

They need a patron to pull this off if the numbers are north of $250k. There's a fund for softball, but it doesn't have millions rattling around in it. OU has patrons. Arkansas has patrons. I don't know if Texas does or not. I hope so, and I guess we'll see here. Not posting this to say it can't happen, just telling it like it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They need a patron to pull this off if the numbers are north of $250k. There's a fund for softball, but it doesn't have millions rattling around in it. OU has patrons. Arkansas has patrons. I don't know if Texas does or not. I hope so, and I guess we'll see here. Not posting this to say it can't happen, just telling it like it is. 

Maybe you and Sidney could split it.

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So we need some old dyke who is rich and loves softball.  Got it. 

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Unfortunate. You’d hope getting what’s needed to deliver a first national championship would be worth it

On 7/14/2024 at 12:33 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Splurging and winning a title in softball? You better know a donor that really fucking loves softball. Otherwise, they would rather that money go elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Canady appears to have visited Bama.  New player has entered the game? 

Bama’s academics are worse than OU’s according to my calculations!  Neither are known for book-learning.  What a culture change from Palo Alto to Tuscaloosa!  I wonder if she dips snuff?

The following are excerpts from a 16 Jul article in the SF Chronicle.    Article also states a full scholarship to Stanford is worth $70K. 

Every day that NiJaree Canady doesn’t commit to another school is a relief for Stanford, which hopes its star softball pitcher returns after entering the transfer portal.

With some experts saying that bidding for Canady could reach as high as $1 million, Stanford finds itself in negotiations that could forever alter non-revenue sports. One source with knowledge of the talks would not disclose specific figures but said Stanford’s NIL collective, Lifetime Cardinal, was “giving their all” to retain the nation’s top returning player.

“It’s very, very important for us,” a source with knowledge of the NIL negotiations said.

“I think there is a good chance she stays,” said Jessica Mendoza, an ESPN announcer and Stanford softball alumni. “I wouldn’t bank on her leaving. She’s in the portal, but I think there’s the chance she stays (at Stanford). What we’re seeing now in the portal is it isn’t a commitment to leaving, but seeing what’s out there.”

Two sources at Stanford told the Chronicle under condition of anonymity because they did not have permission to speak on negotiations between Canady, Lifetime Cardinal and Stanford that the school is “not out of it” as far as bringing Canady back.

According to the source on NIL negotiations, Canady is getting offers near seven figures from well-funded collectives at Oklahoma and other schools. Florida is believed to have made a bid, and Texas, Oklahoma State and Florida State have also reached out to Canady, according to a source in Stanford’s softball program.

Wherever Canady decides to go for the next school year, her entering the portal and what she ultimately commands in NIL money could change how the sport is recruited for years to come.

“NiJa transcends the sport of softball,” Mendoza said. “There are a lot of opportunities for her regardless of where she is.”   “She’s going to skyrocket (the NIL numbers) to a whole new level,” Mendoza said. “But it’s too fluid a situation to attach a number.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/college/article/nijaree-canady-stay-stanford-considers-record-nil-19566500.php

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, torre said:

According to the source on NIL negotiations, Canady is getting offers near seven figures from well-funded collectives at Oklahoma and other schools. Florida is believed to have made a bid, and Texas, Oklahoma State and Florida State have also reached out to Canady, according to a source in Stanford’s softball program.

She's allegedly going to visit UGA and FSU after having just been to Bama.  She's already visited OU.  No idea if she actually did visit UF, Texas or OKST.

I applaud her for doing her due diligence, and the fact she's taking a lot of visits means OU is not a shoo-in.  

I do hope she goes back to Stanford.  Not for reasons of her not pitching against us for a conference opponents (UGA, Bama, OU, UF), but because Stanford being good is good for the sport, keeps the ACC relevant and reinforces the student part of student-athlete - get that degree.

Hell, even if she goes back, finishes her degree and transfers next year - Get that degree, girl.  Pro softball ain't shit. 

• Hook 'Em 6

On 7/14/2024 at 12:39 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

If someone offered me a million dollars to attend Texas tech for a year, I’d have taken that offer, assuming there were no matching offers to consider.  
I can always better my academic profile with a graduate degree, and I’d have a serious head start in life with that post-tax amount in the bank/investments. 

She can always go back and finish her degree at Stanford later.  Also, I think Texas is a no brainer.  They're already looking better on paper and the layperson (most that follow softball) will just assume she took an easy route to a title at OU vs carried Texas over big/bad OU.  And the education piece obviously UT wins easily.  

• Hook 'Em 1

If Canady only cares about education, she returns to Stanford. if she only cares about winning a championship, she goes  to OU. If she wants the best of both worlds, she’ll choose Texas/Florida. If she only cares about the biggest payday, then Tech comes into play. 

2 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

Rumor on other boards is that Canady will visit Texas next. I hope our staff has done their homework and tailors this visit to exceed her expectations. 

My guess is they are going to play it aloof and play hard to get.

Posted (edited)

Yeah that’s an awful idea. You basically sell her on academics, the deepest returning roster in the country and helping Texas win their first title in softball. And that she will have most of her team and fellow pitchers for her final 2 seasons.  Not to mention the runner up for POY who finished behind her will be catching her for 2 years 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5