Texas Softball Recruiting and Portal Thread

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The “We’re Texas” pitch hardly worked pre NIL and it certainly doesn’t work in the NIL era. 

Naw - We only want kids that bleed burnt orange and are good kids from good families.  We will likely act like we forgot she was coming and make her take an Uber from the airport and then have a janitor show her around the facilities.  I'm assuming the coaches will send her generic "Congrats!" text with her name misspelled.

20 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Naw - We only want kids that bleed burnt orange and are good kids from good families.  We will likely act like we forgot she was coming and make her take an Uber from the airport and then have a janitor show her around the facilities.  I'm assuming the coaches will send her generic "Congrats!" text with her name misspelled.

A UT jersey with "Canada" on the back would be a nice touch.  

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah that’s an awful idea. You basically sell her on academics, the deepest returning roster in the country and helping Texas win their first title in softball. And that she will have most of her team and fellow pitchers for her final 2 seasons.  Not to mention the runner up for POY who finished behind her will be catching her for 2 years 

All of this, and then you load her shit in a Lamborghini and say “see you soon.”

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

All of this, and then you load her shit in a Lamborghini and say “see you soon.”

Also having a coach of the same race should be a huge pitch compared to the other teams.   

1 minute ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Also having a coach of the same race should be a huge pitch compared to the other teams.   

Which makes me wonder why Duke hasn't been seriously mentioned as an option for her.  First black coach to take their team to the WCWS.  High academics.  And if distance is "such a factor," she wouldn't be visiting Bama/UGA/FSU. 

On 7/19/2024 at 3:52 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Eventually we're going to get over the hump. It's just a matter of when, not if. Mike has heen recruiting like a mfer and he's been proving he can get there, but needs a little more. 

You know easiest way over that hump? Paying for the players you need to do it and actually do it and stop using words like “eventually”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

You know easiest way over that hump? Paying for the players you need to do it and actually do it and stop using words like “eventually”

Agreed. But god damn if we can't beat ou this year after their exodus of seniors and playing frosh, I don't know what to say. It's not like we're lacking in talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Obvi the Canady thing is still dragging out, but Sooners don't seem so confident anymore, or even at all - they are almost conceding her to FL, Bama or Tech or back to Stanford.  And the only coaches she's following on social media are Bama coaches (outside of Stanford). 

everytime this thread is bumped, I dread the announcement she's going to OU.  

Her going to Bama or Gata makes little sense to me given her supposed objectives.  If you want to win a championship and be closer to home, go to OU or Texas. If you want that plus you really care about academics (I think that's a bit overblown for most of these girls)*, go to Texas.  Going way east in the SEC moves you further from home and actually decreases the chances of a title relative to OU or UT.

* I say that because most of the softball chicks choose majors just like male jocks.  Most of our team majors in shit like "movement science" or something similar. It's not exactly pre-med or computer science.  If that's your major, I'm not sure there's much difference across most of these schools.   

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Obvi the Canady thing is still dragging out, but Sooners don't seem so confident anymore, or even at all - they are almost conceding her to FL, Bama or Tech or back to Stanford.  And the only coaches she's following on social media are Bama coaches (outside of Stanford). 

Well if it’s not us, and I guess it won’t be, I hope she goes back to Stanford. Seeing her go from there to a school with poor academics like Bama would be disappointing 

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

everytime this thread is bumped, I dread the announcement she's going to OU.  

Her going to Bama or Gata makes little sense to me given her supposed objectives.  If you want to win a championship and be closer to home, go to OU or Texas. If you want that plus you really care about academics (I think that's a bit overblown for most of these girls)*, go to Texas.  Going way east in the SEC moves you further from home and actually decreases the chances of a title relative to OU or UT.

* I say that because most of the softball chicks choose majors just like male jocks.  Most of our team majors in shit like "movement science" or something similar. It's not exactly pre-med or computer science.  If that's your major, I'm not sure there's much difference across most of these schools.   

Florida is another title contender with a less crowded pitching room than Texas.

Bama and Tech = $$$$$.  I don’t think she’s going anywhere for academics or distance, that’s just what people say before they take a bag. 

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Florida is another title contender with a less crowded pitching room than Texas.

Bama and Tech = $$$$$.  I don’t think she’s going anywhere for academics or distance, that’s just what people say before they take a bag. 

If our "pitch" to her isn't that we will clear out as much pitching room as she wants, then we don't deserve to get her.  We are in a world of unrestricted free agents in all sports now, and the time for being loyal to "our" guys/gals is (perhaps sadly) gone now.  

• Like 1

Just now, bschoolprof said:

At least she didn't go to OU.

If she is indeed getting 1 mil, that's insane and I'm not sure I totally begrudge her for taking it.  A Stanford Kinesiology degree ain't getting you that.  

I mean, if you're going to a mediocre program that doesn't attract talent, at least get paid for it. 

We don't have to face her.  Tech will be a flashy "preseason top 10" team that I bet doesn't even get to OKC or win the Big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

If our "pitch" to her isn't that we will clear out as much pitching room as she wants, then we don't deserve to get her.  We are in a world of unrestricted free agents in all sports now, and the time for being loyal to "our" guys/gals is (perhaps sadly) gone now.  

Yeah the pitch that won was: 

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I've seen a lot of "Glasco will get the most out of that roster" - Craig Snyder was supposed to also be a phenomenal hitting coach and couldn't squeeze anything out of Tech.  Glasco may be a good coach, but 1 super regional trip in 6 (plus COVID) seasons at Louisiana, which is a program that went to 6 WCWS before he got there. 

Texas state softball is good, but Texas, aggy, TXST, Baylor, OU, OKST, LSU are much better programs and Tech is always going to play 3rd/4th tier in recruiting.  None of these players want to head to Lubbock, especially now that Arizona, ASU, Utah will come calling. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I've seen a lot of "Glasco will get the most out of that roster" - Craig Snyder was supposed to also be a phenomenal hitting coach and couldn't squeeze anything out of Tech.  Glasco may be a good coach, but 1 super regional trip in 6 (plus COVID) seasons at Louisiana, which is a program that went to 6 WCWS before he got there. 

Texas state softball is good, but Texas, aggy, TXST, Baylor, OU, OKST, LSU are much better programs and Tech is always going to play 3rd/4th tier in recruiting.  None of these players want to head to Lubbock, especially now that Arizona, ASU, Utah will come calling. 

They will be a legit threat at the championship.    That offense is 10x better than Stanford with all the transfers.  I bet her numbers go down some though, the ball flys out of that park.

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think they will be a threat to a championship.  

I do think this will def create interest for Tech for 2026.  But it's too late to start grabbing elite portal players to back her up offensively (and in the circle) for 2025.  All those portal players were already gone. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, I've never understood why people thought Glasco was a good coach.

ULL went from being a powerhouse under Lotief to just a good program under Glasco. They regressed under Glasco. 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't think they will be a threat to a championship.  

Me either, Glasco is one of the most overrated coaches in college softball. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, I've never understood why people thought Glasco was a good coach.

ULL went from being a powerhouse under Lotief to just a good program under Glasco. They regressed under Glasco. 

Me either, Glasco is one of the most overrated coaches in college softball. 

Not to mention he’s selling 1 year of Canady to recruits for 2026. What about when she’s gone? It’s like selling recruits on Cat being here in 2006. Then what??

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Good news is, maybe Tech won’t have enough money left to bring in Aaliyah Chavez

They've already outbid us for Canady and Toppin.  We outbid them for Ewers. 

We need to even up that record.

• Hook 'Em 2

Kind of reminds me of SC going all-in last year on Vawter.  

They didn't make it out of a regional. 

Canady is better than Vawter, but one elite pitcher is not always enough in this day and age to win a title. And I've not seen much to show that Glasco is a better coach than Allister.

I've seen rumors that it's:

-2.5 mill over 2 years

-Mahomes as the megadonor, with the Kansas connection.  

Sound like bullshit to me, but who knows. I doubted the Tech stuff from the get go and was wrong about all of it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

At the end of the day, she ain’t at OU or an SEC program we have to face. Call it a win!

Totally this.  Tech is largely irrelevant to us now, unless we meet them in a regional or something.   

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Totally this.  Tech is largely irrelevant to us now, unless we meet them in a regional or something.   

If they don’t host, we will. 400 mile rule. Or they’ll go to Stillwater but we know what the committee will do. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I mean, if you're going to a mediocre program that doesn't attract talent, at least get paid for it. 

We don't have to face her.  Tech will be a flashy "preseason top 10" team that I bet doesn't even get to OKC or win the Big 12. 

Don’t be so sure. Glasco is an elite hitting coach and she made it to Ok City with the Stanford offense. It is only funny because those Tech idiots want to be good at something so bad that they just paid a million dollars for softball 

I didn’t know who they were before today, but I had heard of the company name. John and Tracy Sellers are contributing money. Tracy played softball at Tech. John is the CEO of Double Eagle Energy. That company sold parts of their company for over 9 billion dollars.

Just now, chiu1040 said:

I didn’t know who they were before today, but I had heard of the company name. John and Tracy Sellers are contributing money. Tracy played softball at Tech. John is the CEO of Double Eagle Energy. That company sold parts of their company for over 9 billion dollars.

If I had 9 billion dollars, I would pay Canady 1 million to just throw BP to my travel team.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, chiu1040 said:

That was the original rumor, it was a former Tech player’s husband who was footing part of the offer 

• Like 1

After doing some more research, he made over $500 million on the deals. He had to split the proceeds from the deals with the co-CEO and some private equity partners. Nevertheless, he’s giving back to the school with this and a scholarship endowment.

33 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I figured she was about 90% heading to Baton Rouge. 🤮

I'm pretty sure Texas has some big spenders in WBB. 

'24 recruiting class included Lee (#9 recruit) and Carlton (#12 recruit). The '25 class already added Crump (#4 recruit). Also, Phelia was one of the top transfers this year in WBB and a lot of big programs wanted her.

We are 100% spending money on players in WBB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

IF she couldn’t win it at Stanford, she sure as hell can’t win it at Tech.  The education, the culture, the landscape is totally opposite of what she had at Stanford.  It’s just the $$$, but that’s a good life-start.  Will be interesting.   Those donors are nuts, is all I can say.

1 minute ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Yep here's to hoping they get a top 16 seed,  do want her coming to UT for a regional. 

They’ll just get paired up with us for a super. Even if they have to drop them a few seed lines like they did aggy