The Girl w/ The Dragon Tattoo--Swedish trilogy

Anyone seen it/recommend? I really enjoyed the Finch version w/ Craig & Mara. I'm still shocked that it flopped & they scrapped plans for the other 2.

I'm almost through reading the books after a friend loaned them to me the other week. Mrs GOTJ is going to be out of town this weekend & I'm thinking about binging the Swedish trilogy but before I fork over the money to stream them or do the free trial then drop dance I thought I'd ask the crowd.

The books are so-so, but the Lisabeth Salander character is compelling. I know the Swedish actor who portrays her received a lot of accolades for her performance.

Worth it or nah?

yeah they were good. it's been a million years - the books were really popular in about 2009, that was right around when Netflix started doing "Instant Watch" in addition to DVD by mail, and in addition to every weird documentary ever the swedish Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movies were on there. The actress who plays Lisbet is really great.

I also can't believe they never managed to make the rest of those movies with Mara. I think they got stalled somehow and then made the second one with... the woman from the Crown? and it sucked? Would have loved to see that trilogy completed.

Yeah, Claire Foy played her in The Girl in the Spider's Web which I think was based on the unfinished 4th book by Stieg Larsson. I've never watched it & have heard nothing about it that makes me want to seach for it.

Apparently both Craig & Mara really liked their characters & wanted to make the next 2, but Fincher said he wasn't interested & that was the end of it.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

yeah they were good. it's been a million years - the books were really popular in about 2009, that was right around when Netflix started doing "Instant Watch" in addition to DVD by mail, and in addition to every weird documentary ever the swedish Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movies were on there. The actress who plays Lisbet is really great.

I also can't believe they never managed to make the rest of those movies with Mara. I think they got stalled somehow and then made the second one with... the woman from the Crown? and it sucked? Would have loved to see that trilogy completed.

Noomi Rapace was the actress in the original Swedish series and she was great; it got her noticed in Hollywood and cast in some big budget stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

Books are good.  Worth the read.

Seem to recall somewhere on the internets (so it has to be true) that the Swedish version of the movies stuck to the books but the version with Mara did not.

The original title in Swedish always strikes me as so awesome, and I may have only noticed it the first time when I was watching that movie with subtitles. "Men Who Hate Women". 

the-girl-with-a-dragon-tattoo-swedish-ve

I should go watch these again. I remember feeling like the casting in this movie for both Salandar and Blomkvist felt more real. Or maybe, Rooney Mara got sufficiently weird as Lisbet to pass but Daniel Craig was still a bit too Daniel Craig for the chain smoking beaten down disgraced journalist.

1 hour ago, smwhorn said:

Books are good.  Worth the read.

Seem to recall somewhere on the internets (so it has to be true) that the Swedish version of the movies stuck to the books but the version with Mara did not.

Does this mean every other scene will begin with someone having coffee and sandwiches? 😉 

Or, on the positive side, is Blomkvist having sex with every other woman he encounters and if so, are they hot?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The books were good.

Fincher's movie was good but more as a Fincher movie than as a straight adaptation.

I've never seen the Swedish movies but would like to some day. 

This trilogy is great. It’s too bad the US movie tanked and we never got the other two movies.

I will say I was taken out of one of the originals when a character is driving a Chevy Suburban in Sweden. Even if those are sold over there, it seemed like a weird choice.

26 minutes ago, Stringer said:

I don’t think the Fincher one tanked. I just looked and it had a $90m budget and made $102m in US and $232m worldwide. For a 2.5 hour pitch black movie, that’s really good.

I imagine Fincher wasn’t interested and they couldn’t pull it together like someone said earlier.

Have a friend at Sony pictures. Sony had no desire to put up that sorta cash again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Binged all 3 + watched the Fincher version again this weekend. Although the Swedish version (mostly) followed the source material more closely, they also ignored some aspects completely (like the Blomkvist/Erika relationship & its impact on Lisbeth's actions).

Overall, they were ok. I still preferred Fincher's interpretation.