Willie Mays RIP

Gil Bang

Posted (edited)

I only remember seeing him play for the Mets at the end of his career, but damn, what a loss.

His savant page looks like a fucking massacre happened on it:

image.thumb.png.78efa69bab2cf06296488f8a6277a452.png

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Yeah this sucks...my favorite "old school" player that I never got to see play.

Watch Say Hey! Willie Mays Doc on HBO...worth it.

I pulled this Topps buyback card a few years back that is an original 1961 Topps Mays card.

(A buyback is when the company goes and finds the original cards in good shape and then re-release autographed, or in this case with the 20 Giant seasons stamp. Probably lowered the value but its in great shape.)

cedde3020812c62ef7eb4ec5b1d5d5f5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 3

wow.  The last true hero from the golden age of baseball. End of an era. It has always been tough between him and Ruth but I'd go with Mays.  only man with 3K hits, 600 HR's, and 300 SB's.  and hit for .300.   the OG 5 tool player.

When quite possibly the greatest ever ballplayer dies it is a sad day but a life lived well.

Say Hey Willie and Godspeed.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Damn, I feel terrible, didn’t know he was still kicking. RIP legend. I remember learning why the basket catch was so special, it was 420 feet in that deep ass Polo Grounds centerfield. Most of you probably knew that your whole life, I learned it about 15 years ago and changed my whole perception. Pure badass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

only man with 3K hits, 600 HR's, and 300 SB's.  and hit for .300.

Specifically

3,283 hits

660 home runs

339 stolen bases

0.301 batting average

Holy shit.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Damn, I feel terrible, didn’t know he was still kicking. RIP legend. I remember learning why the basket catch was so special, it was 420 feet in that deep ass Polo Grounds centerfield. Most of you probably knew that your whole life, I learned it about 15 years ago and changed my whole perception. Pure badass.

480 to C.  And something like 450 to the alleys IIRC.   

And people ask why there are so few triples now...

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Specifically

3,283 hits

660 home runs

339 stolen bases

0.301 batting average

Holy shit.

And he hit those numbers despite losing the better part of two seasons to serving in the military in the years immediately after winning ROY.  Imagine what his career numbers would have been if he had played those two seasons in full.

(Similar observations could be made about Ted Williams, Stan Musial, and others.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

480 to C.  And something like 450 to the alleys IIRC.   

And people ask why there are so few triples now...

for another thread but on baseball reference there is one color picture in the top 24 for lifetime triples - Stan Musial(19th), who ALSO has the 3rd most lifetime doubles.  dude was an XBH monster.

• Like 1

I'm just old enough to have seen his last couple of years with the Giants before his swan song with the Mets.  He was still great even as his Mets career was a sad, rapid descent.  I don't know who anyone considers the greatest ever besides him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Giants broadcast tonight discussed how Willie stayed around the Giants, giving pointers to guys as recently as Angel Pagan and Hunter Pence. If not more recently, but those two guys were specifically mentioned (Pence was in the booth tonight)

Dave Flemming (pbp) mentioned seeing Willie's golf cart outside the clubhouse and going into listen and be a fly on the wall. 

The guy fucking loved ball  and he played like it. And that's why everybody loved him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I only remember seeing him play for the Mets at the end of his career, but damn, what a loss.

His savant page looks like a fucking massacre happened on it:

image.thumb.png.78efa69bab2cf06296488f8a6277a452.png

Career: AVG .301, OPS .941, 660 HR, SLG .557, 1909 RBI

Fucking hell. I already had him as probably the best all-round player ever, but Got damn. That's ridiculous. He might have been the best CF ever and the best all-around hitter ever.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Fucking hell. I already had him as probably the best all-round player ever, but Got damn. That's ridiculous. He might have been the best CF ever and the best all-around hitter ever.

not to derail but considering Williams lost 4.5 years in his very much prime I would go with Ted for best hitter.  he had 1839 RBI's 521 HR's and missed 4.5 years. OPS 1.116 and OPS+ 191

It's basically Ruth(pitching and how overall dominant his stats were to his peers) and Mays, IMO. and due to fielding and speed I'd probably take Mays.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Wow. 24-time All Star

Aaron, Willie, and Musial will always be at the top of that leaderboard, because they got the period with 2 AS games per year right in their careers' wheelhouses.   Also, because they were better than anyone else.

• Hook 'Em 3

When my father, as an avid a baseball/Cubs fan as you'd ever know...would put into port in San Francisco on USN shore leave in the early-mid 1960's...him and his crew had two goals. First-score some chicks.  Second-score some Giants tickets to see the great Willie Mays.  I was born too late to ever see him play.  But in my house after the Cubs, Willie Mays was Baseball Royalty.  And now, Willie Mays-you are Baseball Immortality.  May the four winds blow you safely home. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, wood said:

I think he was the best player in history.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s mind bottling that those Giants team of the 60’s and early 70’s, with Mays , McCovey , Marichal and Gaylord Perry, only won the NL once and zero WS

Had to deal with Sandy Koufax, then Bob Gibson, then the peak Pirates and Reds. 

• Like 1

I think the only legitimate arguments are for Ruth and mays, and it depends on 1) how you view the talent of each era, especially with before and after integration, and 2) how much you value Ruth having just ridiculous stats compared to his peers and the stock you put in his time pitching (also era defined) 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think the only legitimate arguments are for Ruth and mays, and it depends on 1) how you view the talent of each era, especially with before and after integration, and 2) how much you value Ruth having just ridiculous stats compared to his peers and the stock you put in his time pitching (also era defined) 

I would say Aaron has a bit of an argument given his overall stats and power(he also hit .305 and had 240 SB's so he wasn't a statue on the bases) but fielding gives Mays the nod.