NBA Offseason Thread 2024 - Fuck you, pay me

Kermit

I don't know where I land on the Monty stuff to be honest. I'm local but not sure I really care about the current iteration of the Pistons. I understand that he was trying to set a culture by playing Hayes over Ivey last year (Hayes could defend, Ivey chooses not to) but if that was a problem that points to same page-ness with the front office. They have been historically unlucky with the lottery, and they have drafted atrociously. I think Cade can still be a centerpiece, and I like Thompson. I think Fontecchio is a solid fit and I think Beef Stew can be a really valuable contributer if he can tick his 3P% up just a bit next year. 

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't know where I land on the Monty stuff to be honest. I'm local but not sure I really care about the current iteration of the Pistons. I understand that he was trying to set a culture by playing Hayes over Ivey last year (Hayes could defend, Ivey chooses not to) but if that was a problem that points to same page-ness with the front office. They have been historically unlucky with the lottery, and they have drafted atrociously. I think Cade can still be a centerpiece, and I like Thompson. I think Fontecchio is a solid fit and I think Beef Stew can be a really valuable contributer if he can tick his 3P% up just a bit next year. 

Agree with most of this except the Beef Stew stuff.  He's barely a rotational player IMO.

Whenever a team hires a new exec they invariably want to bring in their own coach.    With all of the money and years left on the deal not many thought they would pull the cord and dump Monty though.  While I'm not saying Monty did a good job, the org as a whole hasnt been trying to win for a few yrs now.   Making him a fall guy for organizational ineptitude is funny but at least he got 75M for 1 yr of work to go along with the 25M PHX paid him to go away last yr.  They are eating very well at the Williams house.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, d2o said:

Agree with most of this except the Beef Stew stuff.  He's barely a rotational player IMO.

Based on my eye test (and I'm barely paying attention - gotta be smoking something to watch this team), I would agree. However, James Edwards of the Athletic has said repeatedly that the Pistons get calls all of the time about trying to pry him free due to his defensive ability and versatility. He would be coming off of the bench on a decent team for sure. 

Just now, Baboontyme said:

Based on my eye test (and I'm barely paying attention - gotta be smoking something to watch this team), I would agree. However, James Edwards of the Athletic has said repeatedly that the Pistons get calls all of the time about trying to pry him free due to his defensive ability and versatility. He would be coming off of the bench on a decent team for sure. 

Then they should let him go.   Sounds like the same crap they used to say about Rodney Stuckey and Amir Johnson.  They held both way too long and both proved that they were not difference makers

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Whenever a team hires a new exec they invariably want to bring in their own coach.    With all of the money and years left on the deal not many thought they would pull the cord and dump Monty though.  While I'm not saying Monty did a good job, the org as a whole hasnt been trying to win for a few yrs now.   Making him a fall guy for organizational ineptitude is funny but at least he got 75M for 1 yr of work to go along with the 25M PHX paid him to go away last yr.  They are eating very well at the Williams house.

Monty Haul is a terrible coach and a fraud. He had one good stretch in Phoenix where Chris Paul essentially ran the team, but other than that he has been completely inept going back to the New Orleans days. Other than signing ridiculous contracts, the most impressive thing he's ever done in his career is deliver the eulogy at his wife's funeral. 

24 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Monty Haul is a terrible coach and a fraud. He had one good stretch in Phoenix where Chris Paul essentially ran the team, but other than that he has been completely inept going back to the New Orleans days. Other than signing ridiculous contracts, the most impressive thing he's ever done in his career is deliver the eulogy at his wife's funeral. 

yeah, he had one good yr basically and managed to turn that into a fucking fortune.   He's the American dream LOL

41 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

His current wife also has breast cancer.

The problem with the Pistons isn't the coach.  It's the roster.  They draft poorly and get unlucky in the lottery on top of that.  My guess is that Cade leaves or they trade him and blow everything up.

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

His current wife also has breast cancer.

The problem with the Pistons isn't the coach.  It's the roster.  They draft poorly and get unlucky in the lottery on top of that.  My guess is that Cade leaves or they trade him and blow everything up.

Not sure how his wife having breast cancer is relevant, although I'm pretty sure that she was cancer-free before he ever took the Detroit job.

And for sure that's a bad roster, but they weren't "longest losing streak in NBA history" bad. He's a terrible, awful, incompetent coach who is both inept with X's and O's and a bad communicator / people person. Bad coach. Bad dude. Incredible contract signer.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Then they should let him go.   Sounds like the same crap they used to say about Rodney Stuckey and Amir Johnson. 

Don't forget Lindsey Hunter - he was going to be the next Zeke!

• Hook 'Em 1

In other news, Tatum is eligible for a five-year, $315 million extension, which league circles view as inevitable. 

Derrick White is expected to sign an extension with Boston.

OG Anunoby will not sign an extension with the Knicks before free agency starts. 

Paul George says he will be looking to play "the right kind of baseketball."  People are speculating that means he's  leaving LAC. 

Well now Lebron HAS to return to the Lakers, which was probably the plan all along.  

I still don't understand the logic here, JJ has never been a coach. He has no experience being on that side of the clipboard, so to speak. Giving a rookie coach the reigns for a team expecting to compete for a championship seems like bad idea jeans. 

23 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Well now Lebron HAS to return to the Lakers, which was probably the plan all along.  

I still don't understand the logic here, JJ has never been a coach. He has no experience being on that side of the clipboard, so to speak. Giving a rookie coach the reigns for a team expecting to compete for a championship seems like bad idea jeans. 

Correct.  I love it.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Not sure how his wife having breast cancer is relevant, although I'm pretty sure that she was cancer-free before he ever took the Detroit job.

And for sure that's a bad roster, but they weren't "longest losing streak in NBA history" bad. He's a terrible, awful, incompetent coach who is both inept with X's and O's and a bad communicator / people person. Bad coach. Bad dude. Incredible contract signer.

I don't usually pay attention to his teams play because they usually suck, but he always struck me as a good dude. 

I remember when he got fired by the Pelicans after getting them back in the playoffs, he had a pretty classy reaction. Little did I know then, it was all part of his master plan to make getting shit-canned into an artform.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I don't usually pay attention to his teams play because they usually suck, but he always struck me as a good dude. 

I remember when he got fired by the Pelicans after getting them back in the playoffs, he had a pretty classy reaction. Little did I know then, it was all part of his master plan to make getting shit-canned into an artform.

I'm sure I've written this before, but my friend who has worked for the Spurs for forever, only says good things about anybody who has worked/played for them. Except two people: Kawhi Leonard and Monty Williams. And compared to what he says about Monty, he talks about Kawhi Leonard as if he were David Robinson. Pop feels the same way about him (allegedly).  

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Yeah, I'm scratching my head over this one.

Let me unscratch it for you: Lebron and Klutch are running the Lakers.

They're a terribly run organization, and have been since the last few years of the Kobe era.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm sure I've written this before, but my friend who has worked for the Spurs for forever, only says good things about anybody who has worked/played for them. Except two people: Kawhi Leonard and Monty Williams. And compared to what he says about Monty, he talks about Kawhi Leonard as if he were David Robinson. Pop feels the same way about him (allegedly).  

They're a terribly run organization, and have been since the last few years of the Kobe era.

Their "influence" is no big secret. 

Even in that context this is a puzzling and risky move -- that's my point.     

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I feel like that family can't keep up with the Joneses anymore. They probably have the most valuable franchise, but the NBA has become a billionaire boys club.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Straight up swap.  Presti magic strikes again 

If chicagos going to make trades like this Dallas needs to call them about Josh Green for pwill

Good trade for OKC, but makes you wonder why the Bulls would do it.  

Agreed. OKC still has height and body issues, and they were pretty set on perimeter defenders.

A no brainer deal for OKC but I thought Giddey might’ve been their best facilitator not named SGA. Every body else camps on the arc including Caruso

Are they out of the Hartenstein sweepstakes? Cause they’d be nice if yes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Sigh...

Oh boy is this going to be fun. Now he and Bron can podcast about losses and instead of Bron doing his emoji thing or hidden message deal of being unhappy he can just say it right to the coach for everyone to hear. Should end well.

Posted (edited)

Great trade for a team trying to win a championship, but I bet Giddey has a much better career than the NBA twitter hive mind is projecting. OKC is too good to take the ball out of SGA's hands.

Edited by Ricky Butler

14 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Great trade for a team trying to win a championship, but I bet Giddey has a much better career than the NBA twitter hive mind is projecting. OKC is too good to take the ball out of SGA's hands.

Doesn't he still have a pending investigation into having sex with a minor?  That usually brings down the value of a player. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Doesn't he still have a pending investigation into having sex with a minor?  That usually brings down the value of a player. 

Can't comment on any of that, and commenting on such things usually makes one look stupid. But yes, I think charges like that would hurt a player's value. But then again Miles Bridges might get 30million a year.

Edited by Ricky Butler

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Believe that was settled and the nba moved on from it about when the playoffs started

Makes sense. I still see jokes about it but not much reporting. I just thought everyone loved him before OKC got serious about winning, and then this year they saw his issues in a playoff series where margins are so thin. But weird stuff happens with young offensive players. Wasn't Markkanen traded for Larry Nance Jr and a 2nd or something crazy? Maybe the lesson is: The Bulls have no idea how to value players.

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

As long as Lebron is there, no seasoned coach is going near that, nor does Lebron want that. It's his show as long as he is there. We will see if they draft his scrub son so they can play together which has been his goal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

As long as Lebron is there, no seasoned coach is going near that, nor does Lebron want that. It's his show as long as he is there. We will see if they draft his scrub son so they can play together which has been his goal. 

They may burn the 55th pick on him, but not a first rounder.