NBA Offseason Thread 2024 - Fuck you, pay me

Kermit

Bronny will be long gone for the chance of getting lebron to come for the vet minimum
His agent addressed that earlier this week. Said that isn't happening, so Phoenix is out unless they do a sign and trade with LeGM and the Lakers.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Good trade for OKC, but makes you wonder why the Bulls would do it.  

Especially given how much I heard about them over-valuing Caruso.   As far as getting Giddey its an insurance plan in case Zo Ball still is unable to play

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Doesn't he still have a pending investigation into having sex with a minor?  That usually brings down the value of a player. 

Both the league and whatever city it happened in closed their investigation.  The family was unwilling to cooperate.  Translation:  The check cleared

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Giddy is 21 years old. He shot 80% from the line (meaning he can shoot) and 52% from 2. He is 14/7/6 for his career in heavy minutes. It’s a W for both teams.

He did not have the best playoff run, but he’s only going to get better. Chicago’s problem is that their core is atrocious and needs to go. Demar, Lavine, and Vucevic are not it. I do like that Coby White fellow.

You can probably count the number of 21 year olds who have had great playoff performances for a #1 seed on 1 or less fingers.

And he was 9-18 from 3 against the Pels in round 1. My math says that is 50%. He was also 37% from 3 over his last 20 games of the season.

Chicago has got to be one of the most incompetent front offices in the league right now. OKC was absolutely dreading having to pay Giddey and the Bulls bailed them out and made them an even bigger contender. Unbelievable. Can’t wait to see what gymnastics they pull with Zach Lavine next.

Are they finally embracing the tank? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Chicago has got to be one of the most incompetent front offices in the league right now. OKC was absolutely dreading having to pay Giddey and the Bulls bailed them out and made them an even bigger contender. Unbelievable. Can’t wait to see what gymnastics they pull with Zach Lavine next.

Yeah reports are that Lavine talks are with the Sixers and the Jazz right now.   He will gone soon

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think a lot of teams would take a flyer on Giddey. I don’t think he’s a negative asset like some vet with years and 100 million owed.  Great move for OKC because they are actually trying to win now and not just accrue assets. 

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Yeah reports are that Lavine talks are with the Sixers and the Jazz right now.   He will gone soon

Lavine is one of those guys that I’d love to see in a winning culture. He can fill it up, but he also seems happy just filling it up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lavine can’t stay healthy. His contract is toxic, like nearly Ben Simmons toxic.

Re: Giddey. He put up good numbers for a tanking team. Once they started winning, it certainly wasn’t because of him. He may be the greatest inbounds passer I’ve ever seen, but he is impotent from outside and a poor defender who got targeted repeatedly in the playoffs. He didn’t just have a “not great” playoff. He was atrocious. Unplayable. He’s the polar opposite of how Boston just constructed their championship roster.

He’s obviously got upside and is still very young, but they were about to have to commit some big money to him that could come back to bite them when it’s time to re-up their big 3. I don’t blame them from moving on. The fact that they got a massive upgrade and a true two way difference maker in Caruso for him is just aggravating. That they did it and still have all their cap space to make more moves is even more infuriating. 

There has to be some draft capital involved. There just has to be. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

There has to be some picks thrown in for the Bulls. No way they do that without at least a few 2nds. 

6 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Straight up swap.  Presti magic strikes again 

I dont get the bewilderment. What am I missing here? Giddy is 21 and was logging starters minutes on the #1 seed in the west. When Caruso was 21, he was probably fingerblasting sheep behind the Dixie Chicken. 

image.thumb.png.4592ca05c7671ed96c140bbe34471d19.png

Giddey's salary next year is $8.4M vs Caruso at $9.9M. I understand that Caruso is a better defender right now, and he has his offensive moments, but when its all said and done Giddey will have a much better career. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah -- Chicago is under no obligation to pay Giddy a fun max off the rookie deal.  If he has a decent year they could go with something like a 3/60m offer. If he has a great year then that is a good problem to have.  They can always let him try restricted FA and match or not.  They were going to lose Caruso anyway, so even if he walks it's not the end of the world.

The more I think about it, the more I like it for the Bulls.  Now if they can get rid of Vuch and Lavine, they might be on to something.

8 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I dont get the bewilderment. What am I missing here? Giddy is 21 and was logging starters minutes on the #1 seed in the west. When Caruso was 21, he was probably fingerblasting sheep behind the Dixie Chicken. 

Giddey's salary next year is $8.4M vs Caruso at $9.9M. I understand that Caruso is a better defender right now, and he has his offensive moments, but when its all said and done Giddey will have a much better career. 

I was seeing things online about a 20m a year extension for Caruso. Still good value but OKC is entering real payroll territory. Presti’s job gets harder with actual expectations and decisions. 

4 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Giddy is 21 years old. He shot 80% from the line (meaning he can shoot) and 52% from 2. He is 14/7/6 for his career in heavy minutes. It’s a W for both teams.

I feel like Chicago knows Ball will never suit up for them again and Giddey is young and talented. If he develops from deep then he’s going to be hell on wheels. He’s just 21 and only getting better. The Bulls should be trying to unload their vets and just start over. I think Giddey is a good start if they go that direction.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was seeing things online about a 20m a year extension for Caruso. Still good value but OKC is entering real payroll territory. Presti’s job gets harder with actual expectations and decisions. 

Caruso is also an Aggie. And getting rid of them is never a bad move.
  • Haha 1

Wtf are yall talking about? Josh Giddey is nowhere near as good as Caruso. The Bulls turned down better offers for him before the deadline. And now they're letting him go for fucking Josh Giddey? That's an atrocious trade. Just atrocious.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Blotto said:

My issue is the value here, I think the Bulls could have gotten more from a contender for Caruso.  OKC also has a million picks to trade, I don't know how anyone works with them and doesn't get at least a 2nd out of it. Chicago is the one doing a favor here, but they should be in re-build mode, which means then need future picks. Caruso is a cheap 3+D guy who plays defense very well, literally any team could add him to the roster and become better. He's exactly the kind of guy you send out at the trade deadline for some potentially great future picks. 

I don't hate Giddey, but he's very young and only has 1 year left on his deal before he becomes an expensive RFA. The stink of sleeping with a 16 year old seems to have worn off, but I still think it dings his value. He was pretty awful in the playoffs this year. I don't think he's going to show enough next year to be worth 25-30m a year, or whatever he's eligible to get. If I'm the Bulls, I don't know if I want to commit to that at this point, when the team should be tanking for a top pick next year. The Bulls only owe their 2025 pick to the Spurs, but it's protected top 10. I think they should sell everything for future assets, and go all-in for Flagg, Harper or Bailey. 

46 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

My issue is the value here, I think the Bulls could have gotten more from a contender for Caruso.  OKC also has a million picks to trade, I don't know how anyone works with them and doesn't get at least a 2nd out of it. Chicago is the one doing a favor here, but they should be in re-build mode, which means then need future picks. Caruso is a cheap 3+D guy who plays defense very well, literally any team could add him to the roster and become better. He's exactly the kind of guy you send out at the trade deadline for some potentially great future picks. 

I think you're right and value is the complaint here because these teams timelines are completely different. It also sounds like Caruso is getting 4 for 80 this summer, and I could can understand how that doesn't make sense for the Bulls if they are tanking. Teams that don't want to win don't need glue guys. If the Bulls aren't tanking, it makes no sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Yeah, it's a lot harder when your whole team isn't on rookie deals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

I think you're right and value is the complaint here because these teams timelines are completely different. It also sounds like Caruso is getting 4 for 80 this summer, and I could can understand how that doesn't make sense for the Bulls if they are tanking. Teams that don't want to win don't need glue guys. If the Bulls aren't tanking, it makes no sense.

Full MLE this year is around 4 years and 56m this year, which is a bit less than that expectation. I think Caruso is valued by GMs more than an MLE type player. 20m a year for a 4th/5th starter on a team with championship aspirations is fair, that's like Bruce Brown/Aaron Gordon/Josh Hart type money. 

What I wouldn't want to do is see 1 year of Giddey on my team, and then trying to determine if I want to commit to 4 years and 120+ million for him, only to become a play-in East team at best. For me to do that as a GM, you gotta pay some picks. I think that's where Chicago dropped the ball here, because at the trade deadline this year, Caruso is going to fetch a much better return than Giddey.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Full MLE this year is around 4 years and 56m this year, which is a bit less than that expectation. I think Caruso is valued by GMs more than an MLE type player. 20m a year for a 4th/5th starter on a team with championship aspirations is fair, that's like Bruce Brown/Aaron Gordon/Josh Hart type money. 

What I wouldn't want to do is see 1 year of Giddey on my team, and then trying to determine if I want to commit to 4 years and 120+ million for him, only to become a play-in East team at best. For me to do that as a GM, you gotta pay some picks. I think that's where Chicago dropped the ball here, because at the trade deadline this year, Caruso is going to fetch a much better return than Giddey.   

Especially since OKC has so many fucking picks.  Surely they could have pried at least one or two from them.

9 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

This is where he does not excel as a GM. Huge stockpiles of picks that will likely lead to zero titles. That’s okay with me because that team still belongs back in Seattle. 

Yeah, at some point you have to pick a direction and go. SGA, JW, and Chet are a great nucleus but certainly not unbeatable. Building around them as the price of poker goes up is what is difficult. I think the Celtics threaded the needle about as well as you can this year. They had two young stars and then somehow added Jrue and KP. What OKC does have going for them is the ability to be in the hunt for the foreseeable future. All the first rounders will help them work in cost controlled talent to their core.

5 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Yeah, at some point you have to pick a direction and go. SGA, JW, and Chet are a great nucleus but certainly not unbeatable. Building around them as the price of poker goes up is what is difficult. I think the Celtics threaded the needle about as well as you can this year. They had two young stars and then somehow added Jrue and KP. What OKC does have going for them is the ability to be in the hunt for the foreseeable future. All the first rounders will help them work in cost controlled talent to their core.

Trade them picks and a couple of players to LA for AD.

Sources: Cleveland Cavaliers hiring Kenny Atkinson as coach

The Cleveland Cavaliers are hiring Golden State Warriors assistant Kenny Atkinson as the franchise's next coach, sources told ESPN on Monday.

The sides have started work on a contract, and a deal is expected to be reached soon, sources said.

The Cavaliers' process had been pared down to Atkinson and New Orleans Pelicans associate head coach James Borrego, sources said. Borrego, who worked the past season with new Detroit president Trajan Langdon in New Orleans, is now expected to become a prominent candidate in the Pistons' coaching search, sources told ESPN.

Atkinson, the top assistant with the Warriors, takes over a Cavaliers roster that advanced to the Eastern Conference semifinals and won 99 regular-season games in the past two seasons. He joins an organization that includes two key players who blossomed during his tenure as the Brooklyn Nets coach -- Jarrett Allen and Caris LeVert.

Cavaliers president of basketball operations Koby Altman and general manager Mike Gansey are especially eager for Atkinson's reputable player development program to impact young center Evan Mobley, sources said.

Cleveland's offseason priority turns fully to securing All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell on a contract extension. He has one year left before he can exercise an early termination option.

Atkinson was 118-190 in three-plus years with the Nets, inheriting a full rebuild and showing improvement each season until he resigned after an injury-plagued 2019-20 season. He spent the 2020-21 season with the LA Clippers as an assistant before joining Steve Kerr's staff as the top assistant in 2021. Two years ago, Atkinson briefly accepted the Charlotte Hornets' head-coaching job before changing his mind and remaining with the Warriors.

Atkinson spent nine seasons as an NBA assistant -- four with the New York Knicks, three with the Atlanta Hawks before returning to the assistant coaching ranks with the Clippers and Warriors.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40420401/sources-cleveland-cavaliers-hiring-kenny-atkinson-coach

1 hour ago, d2o said:

I know the max is the max and everyone thinks they should get it but giving this to Barnes is tough.   I like him but I dont see him like that.  Will be interesting to see what he grows into as this deal goes along.

I don't know that Toronto had much of a choice. They just hit the reset button on their roster and he's the only real asset they have left. 

Depending on what they do with Quickley, they should have a good amount of cap space moving forward. 

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't know that Toronto had much of a choice. They just hit the reset button on their roster and he's the only real asset they have left. 

Depending on what they do with Quickley, they should have a good amount of cap space moving forward. 

Yeah I get it.   They had to keep the one piece they had but 50m/yr for Barnes is tough

• Hook 'Em 1