NBA Offseason Thread 2024 - Fuck you, pay me

Kermit

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

They still have Chris Paul's 30m deal on the books, which I believe has an option for later this week. Then they still have some other contracts like Kuminga and whatever to make up the difference. Not sure what LAC would want, but there's no way for GS to offer that amount with outright cap space. 

Forgot about CP3's number.   Its not guaranteed if he is cut by Friday.  They could add him to the deal and the Clips could cut him immediately

5 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

trading salaries i understand.  that tweet phrased it as if they could outright sign him as a free agent and they cannot.

They would offer him the contract and then figure out the S&T part 

Looks like the Warriors are also about to roll out new logos/jerseys too.

25 minutes ago, d2o said:

Forgot about CP3's number.   Its not guaranteed if he is cut by Friday.  They could add him to the deal and the Clips could cut him immediately

I think he would be routed to a third team looking to dump some money or a contract (Lavine, Ball, MPJ, KAT, Murray). They would then cut CP, and then he's a free agent, ready to sign wherever he wants.

If I'm the Clippers, I would tell PG to gtfo with that S&T idea, and either pick up your option to stay, or go find some team with 50 million in cap space you want to join (Detroit, Philly, Orlando or Utah).  Ideally for the Clippers, he opts in and plays in a contract year, CP gets cut, and comes to LAC to lead the offense. Other guys come to LA to help fill out the roster, and they only let Kawhi play once a week to keep him fresh for the playoffs. I think the Clippers best path forward is to get PG to opt-in and stay without extending him another 4 years. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

I think his deal becomes guaranteed if they trade him. I’m not sure where I heard that but I reasonably believe that is accurate. 

Since OG opted out that means he can’t be sign and traded right? That leaves only a few teams that could sign him as a FA. Why would any of those teams with cap space want to pay him $35m to be a number 3 or 4 guy?

I could see doing 4 years, $100m. But 4/140? Nah…

40m a year to be the #4 guy (at best). Am I living in bizzaro world?

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

GS seems like they are a ways from contention even if they somehow got George. Kind of seems desperate to me.

What else can they do? Steph, PG, Dray, and some parts aren't enough to compete for a title. Shit, it might still have them fighting to avoid the play-in. Deep down, I'm sure they realize that. The "smart" move would be to blow it up and start the rebuild.

BUT they're not going to do Steph dirty like that. Not with the literal billions that he's brought to that franchise. If he only has a couple of truly elite years left, they're going to do what they can to field the best possible team around him within reasonable means.

@MNLonghornFUKM

The San Antonio Spurs are sending Kentucky guard Rob Dillingham, the No. 8 pick in this year's NBA draft, to the Minnesota Timberwolves, sources told ESPN.

The Spurs added to their future draft pick stash by acquiring a 2031 unprotected first-round pick and a 2030 top-one protected pick swap from the Timberwolves, according to sources.

According to ESPN's Bobby Marks, Minnesota's luxury tax bill climbs from $56 million to $84 million with the addition of Dillingham's salary. 😬

Can they afford that, or will they be dumping someone? 

On 6/26/2024 at 10:41 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Knicks are better than the bucks, they’ll be pretty tough out when randle returns. Randles not some winning player by all means but he’s decent. Losing IH is gonna hurt because Mitch Robinson always has health issues, and nobody after that

I suppose we gotta see what Philly does with their cap space

If I were still going to be living in NYC after the holiday season ends I would be pretty excited to watch the Knicks. They are going to be a fun team that clearly does not care about the tax aprons going forward and have a good chance of actually making it out of the East next season if they can stay healthy. Bridges and Anunoby are players I enjoy watching. It’s just so odd seeing the Knicks being run so competently after more than two decades of being the opposite of this.

Even the draft pick of Kolek is a good one. Now they just apparently have to get him a tutor to teach him how to read. /s

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Fantastic move by Dallas to get off that money and now being able to sign Derrick Jones Junior while staying under the cap. Grimes can eat up some minutes too. Mavs front office has been killing it over the past year. Grant Williams was a mis-step but they rectified that one.

Cubes gets out of the way and good shit happens. Shocking. 

17 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So how did the DM experience end? Lost a first round pick or 2, gained Larry nance and Dyson Daniel’s and didn’t win a playoff game?

Hawks receive:

• Dejounte Murray
• Jock Landale

Spurs receive: 

• Danilo Gallinari
• 2023 first-round pick (via Charlotte from New York, protected)
• 2025 first-round pick
• 2026 pick swap
• 2027 first-round pick

58 minutes ago, d2o said:

That's it?

The Hawks just do stuff man, no cohesive long term plan.

23 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Meanwhile the Knicks paid 4 1st round picks for Mikal Bridges

5 actually. 4 of them were unprotected but there was another 1st round pick that was top 4 protected.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hawks receive:

• Dejounte Murray
• Jock Landale

Spurs receive: 

• Danilo Gallinari
• 2023 first-round pick (via Charlotte from New York, protected)
• 2025 first-round pick
• 2026 pick swap
• 2027 first-round pick

Gained a pick from Nola and some stipulation. Either way what a failure

15 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Gained a pick from Nola and some stipulation. Either way what a failure

Failure? Not for the Spurs it wasn’t. There’s still a decent chance that the rest of the east out tanks them but that’s a play in team ceiling if everything breaks right for them. Jesus what a terrible franchise.