NBA Offseason Thread 2024 - Fuck you, pay me

Kermit

On 7/4/2024 at 10:15 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So what road does one take?

Accumulate picks, shed salary and miss playoffs(nets, jazz)

Fast forward any kind of realistic rebuild timeline by winning an alien lottery, accumulate picks, then use picks to get star(s) then be in cap trouble when it comes to paying star(s) (spurs)

Get the better, younger and cheaper player in deal, and 600 picks, but will have to pay current players on rookie deals in a few years and be in cap trouble(OKC) and still have 550 picks to pay

Acquire talent via trades and go for it, worry about rest later(wolves suns clippers)

Sign 3 organically grown players to max deals, 1 being once in a lifetime talent and not have a bench (denver)

Get lucky with 2 consecutive draft hits, make a few right deals and get lucky with any other star in your conference getting injured (Boston)

I think it's fairly obvious that you can't have more than two max contracts if you want to maintain any sort of depth. And you really can't afford to be giving max contracts to non-max players. MPJ's contract has crushed Denver. I would imagine that there are going to be fewer max contracts thrown around. In that vein, I'm interested to see what happens to Brandon Ingram. Very good but not superstar level, 26 years old, and in the final year of a $36 million/yr contract. He's eligible for a $52 million/yr deal. The Pels aren't willing to pay it. I don't know who will. Before the 2nd apron stuff, I think teams would just bite the bullet and pay him but now? If you aren't good enough to be one of the two best players on a championship team, then you're probably not getting the max. 

Cost controlled contracts on good players are going to be more valuable than ever because it's like opening another roster spot. That's why Mikal Bridges went for so much -- he's on a great contract for two more years. I think this goes for rookie scale deals as well. Minnesota probably overpaid for the 8 pick in a cruddy draft, but they at least know they have that dude under contract for 4 years and know what that number will be. 

I think ideally, you would want a mix of: one superstar, a second star who if you are lucky is on a less than supermax deal, some veteran role players who are on $10-30 million/yr deals, an older ring chasing vet or two on cheap/minimum deals, and a pipeline of young guys with different developmental timelines on cost controlled contracts. 

But of all the scenarios you laid out, OKC is the no brainer. You'd rather have the assets to give yourself flexibility.

• Hook 'Em 3

You have to imagine Orlando is gambling on Wagner getting his 3PT shot back and continuing to develop with Banchero. The max is doubly hard to navigate for teams like Orlando who have a difficult time attracting free agents. They either overpay initially with the chance of it becoming a good deal or trade/lowball them and piss off the cornerstone of your franchise. 

Ignoring the idiotic dollar amount for a minute, I can’t figure out why they did it now. He’s got a full year before hitting restricted free agency where they could match any offer he could get. And now they have that cap hold. It’s not like they couldn’t offer him the same deal in a year. Just stupid on every level. 

Am I missing something here? Like does he have compromising video of the GM and a farm animal?

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Ignoring the idiotic dollar amount for a minute, I can’t figure out why they did it now. He’s got a full year before hitting restricted free agency where they could match any offer he could get. And now they have that cap hold. It’s not like they couldn’t offer him the same deal in a year. Just stupid on every level. 

Am I missing something here? Like does he have compromising video of the GM and a farm animal?

I agree, there isn't a single player out there that should ever get a deal before hitting RFA. Let someone else set the price, and figure out what the player will accept. The cap hold will significantly be less and provide flexibility for signing free agents that off-season, now they are handcuffed and unable to boost spending by the difference between cap hold and 1st year max salary. 

I hope the Cavs do that with Mobley next year, and the Rockets with Sengun. They both have cap holds in the low teens, which can open up some options with exceptions before signing them to deals. Philly waited on Maxeys extension until using their cap space, and I think that's the smart way to do it. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Insecurities..... The Magic have drafted so poorly throughout the years, they're overpaying a year early to a really good young player to show everyone else but really themselves that they don't suck at this thing called the draft.  They even overpaid an broken down J Isaac a few days earlier..... but he is their's!!!

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was in the camp of Denver trading MPJ’s contract in order to keep KCP and gain some flexibility, but that deal probably needed to occur last summer and breaking up a team that just won the title was never going to happen. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Because that contact is going to be average starter contact soon. 

Luka is gonna get 8/500.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, d2o said:

Some additional context on the Isaac deal.   Actually not that bad.   Damn near a NFL deal LOL

this contract will roughly come out to $1M/game played when all is said and done.

8 hours ago, d2o said:

Thats it? The least he could do is give back enough money to pay for the entirety of his shitty kid's contract. Speaking of, saw this writeup this morning

Bronny James made his NBA summer league debut Saturday and was surprised by the warm reception he received in the city where his father played some of his fiercest NBA Finals battles.

"The atmosphere," Bronny said when asked what surprised him the most after the Los Angeles Lakers' 108-94 loss to the Sacramento Kings to open the California Classic. "It was more than I expected. I mean, it's a big game for me, but I didn't know if people from Golden State would come and rep for me. So that was pretty nice to see."

James finished with 4 points on 2-for-9 shooting, 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal in 22 minutes.

what a dildo

Those cheap bastards could have gotten that swap from Sacramento that they sent to the spurs but they didn’t want to go into the tax. They also could have potentially used that swap to get off Zach Lavine and get back under the tax. Bulls definitely in the running for worst front office these days. 

also what’s great about this exercise is that you could let everyone choose five players and still nobody would ever name “the goat” lebron. your list would have to get about 250 deep before you said, “yeah i trust lebron at the line here.”

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Dirk

6 hours ago, Derka said:

larry bird is my choice. other candidates: michael, steph, mark price.

I'd add Kobe.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

for me, any time one of these “you can choose any player ever to make a shot for you” scenarios comes up the answer is always bird. there’s no shortage of great shooters, so you go with the most fearless, ruthless assassin of the bunch, and that’s larry bird. if you want to pick mj fir the very same reason then i have zero argument.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Derka said:

also what’s great about this exercise is that you could let everyone choose five players and still nobody would ever name “the goat” lebron. your list would have to get about 250 deep before you said, “yeah i trust lebron at the line here.”

I would trust Bird shooting the FTs left handed more than I would LeBron.  Under no circumstances is Bird missing those free throws. He is the easy #1 pick.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I remember the Booker shot like 7-10 years ago. Still probably will never see anything like it again, little bit of skill and some luck on that one

We’ve seen it before.

• Hook 'Em 1

Officially official.   Ends are meeting quite nicely

Proposed National TV Schedule
Monday: Peacock
Tuesday: NBC
Wednesday: ESPN
Thursday: Amazon
Friday: ESPN/Amazon
Saturday: ESPN/Amazon
Sunday: NBC/ESPN

This schedule may mean I wont be getting league pass this season.   With the W LP amazon games dont even appear on the schedule and you have to have Prime to watch them despite paying for LP.   If there are 3/4 nights a wk where I have to have another streaming service to see gms then what is the point?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, d2o said:

This schedule may mean I wont be getting league pass this season.   With the W LP amazon games dont even appear on the schedule and you have to have Prime to watch them despite paying for LP.   If there are 3/4 nights a wk where I have to have another streaming service to see gms then what is the point?

Yeah... it's going to be interesting to see how LP shakes out after this but I promise you I'm not buying yet another streaming service in Peacock just so I can watch hoops on Monday nights. Fuck all that. I'm also interested to see what happens to the local games with all the Ballys bankruptcy stuff. I know Amazon bought part of them, so are they going to try to charge me extra for that, too? Fucking ridiculous.

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yeah... it's going to be interesting to see how LP shakes out after this but I promise you I'm not buying yet another streaming service in Peacock just so I can watch hoops on Monday nights. Fuck all that. I'm also interested to see what happens to the local games with all the Ballys bankruptcy stuff. I know Amazon bought part of them, so are they going to try to charge me extra for that, too? Fucking ridiculous.

I already have Prime cause there are other benefits but I refuse to pay for Peacock.   I missed football games last season because of it and I dont give a fuck.   I'm not paying for that shit just to watch a football game and a basketball game a week 4-5 mos out of the yr.   I have no interest in watching anything else on Peacock

Just now, d2o said:

I already have Prime cause there are other benefits but I refuse to pay for Peacock.   I missed football games last season because of it and I dont give a fuck.   I'm not paying for that shit just to watch a football game and a basketball game a week 4-5 mos out of the yr.   I have no interest in watching anything else on Peacock

Same. Also, thread title still checks out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

OldManYellsAtCloudServices.jpeg