NBA Offseason Thread 2024 - Fuck you, pay me

Kermit

Horrible break for Holmes and Denver. He was likely going to be in the rotation.  The nuggets have had a pretty rough summer. 
It's been a rough offseason. Not gonna lie. They have to get another ball handler off the bench and get rid of Nnaji's contract.

36 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Yes, the European city of Tel Aviv. There has to be a better way to phrase that. 

American silliness at its best.    Anything not here is considered Europe. 

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

I guess the Raptors aren't in the NBA

Its not the American NBA.   And even if it was the Raps are in North America.   Israel aint Europe no matter how its spun

I consider myself to be a connoisseur of Summer League. The first one I attended in Vegas was well over 10 years ago. I've made the mistake of falling in love with certain players based on their summer league performance, only to be heartbroken when they get to the real league and can't do shit (see Belineli, Marco going for 37 in his debut). Certain things translate. Certain things don't. 

Things that do NOT necessarily translate: scoring and shooting.
Things that do: basketball IQ vis a vis moving without the ball, being unselfish, making the right pass, and creating shots for your teammates. And on defense making rotations, picking up cutters and helping out. Hustle and defensive effort translates. Having a nose for the ball and coming up with 50/50 balls translates.
Athleticism only translates in its absence, if you are clearly outclassed physically. That is a bad sign, but even if you belong athletically or are a superior athlete, it doesn't necessarily portend anything good. It's just a baseline.

All of this is an extremely longwinded way of saying that I don't give fuck one that Alex Sarr went 0 for 15 nearly as much as I do that he took a massive dump on the basketball gods with this bullshit:

• Haha 7

Coach shouldnt have said a word.   Just tapped the seat next to him.   I dont give a fuck if you were the #2 pick.   You're sitting your ass down for a while after some shit like that

• Like 1

Looking like the Nuggets will sign Westbrook after Utah releases him. Never thought I'd be rooting for that guy, but here we are.  Hope he can eat a lot of regular season minutes to keep Murray fresh for the playoffs.

yeah, i’m not thrilled about this. my favorite team signs one of my least favorite players, a guy who i’ve spent 10+ years railing on for being a selfish, losing player. and now he’s old. ugh. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Looking like the Nuggets will sign Westbrook after Utah releases him. Never thought I'd be rooting for that guy, but here we are.  Hope he can eat a lot of regular season minutes to keep Murray fresh for the playoffs.

That’s the only way this makes any sense. 

• Like 1

Westbrook has actually been okay for the Clippers the last two years. For a minimum-ish contract, you could do worse. I still think the Nuggets roster is a mess and is without many ways to improve, but Russ can eat up 22 minutes a game and lead a second unit. 

I wonder if they were involved in the Gary Trent Jr negotiations. He seems like a better fit with them than Milwaukee. His shooting would have been a godsend and after seeing what Jokic did for Bruce Brown and KCP, you would think that he would have been on board for something like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Derka said:

trent, like many modern athletes, chose the most comfortable option. taking a pay cut to play with your buddy is wild.

I don't know that he had any offers other than the minimum. All of the usual suspects spent their cap space. It was musical chairs and he didn't have a place to sit when the music stopped.

Also CSB time.., I had a buddy who played college ball with Gary Trent Sr. Senior would apparently come back to campus every so often with a trunk full of stolen merch to sell. He would get you a one and one (a TV plus stereo) for something like $100. Clearly his kid doesn't have the same business acumen.

• Haha 2

all the best coaches eel to be the anonymous ones. they don’t make a huge splash when they get hired, they aren’t covered 24/7 by espn and every nba twitter account. you just look up one day and you’re like, “who coaches the thunder?”. if you’re an nba coach and you’re being talked about you’re probably screwed.