NBA Offseason Thread 2024 - Fuck you, pay me

Kermit

The Celtics are simply disregarding taxes at this point.

What’s a $100M with the lucrative tv contracts coming up?

Cooper Flagg hasn’t scored a single point for Duke yet and he’s projected to make $350m in 5 years?

More teams are gonna to this route because they have to lol

10 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The Celtics are simply disregarding taxes at this point.

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What’s a $100M with the lucrative tv contracts coming up?

I mean - they're going to hit the 2nd apron this year which handcuffs a lot of roster building/flexibility. It isn't just about the tax bill anymore.

They might not care - considering they just slept walked to a title and can bring that same core back for 2 more seasons. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean - they're going to hit the 2nd apron this year which handcuffs a lot of roster building/flexibility. It isn't just about the tax bill anymore.

They might not care - considering they just slept walked to a title and can bring that same core back for 2 more seasons. 

Hauser's $11 million a year = $60 million (or something like that) a year in tax increases. 

Also this

Edited by Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I mean - they're going to hit the 2nd apron this year which handcuffs a lot of roster building/flexibility.

Not sure how much flexibility they'll need in the next 4 years, barring catastrophic injury.

Players signed through:

2026 Porzingis
2027 Pritchard
2028 Brown, Holiday, White, Hauser
2029 Tatum
Horford will be a Celtic til he retires, whenever he decides that is.

Horford is 38 and Porzingis is about as injury prone as you can get. I wouldn't feel too secure with that front court if I were a Celtics fan. They have a ton of money committed to their perimeter players, and not much flexibility moving forward.

I also think it's hilarious that they are signing all of these  contracts and going deeper into the tax than anybody else at the same time that their owner is trying to sell the team. Like, Wyc Grousback is saying, "Fuck it, sure... give them whatever they want. It's not like I'm going to be around to pay for it anyway."

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Horford is 38 and Porzingis is about as injury prone as you can get. I wouldn't feel too secure with that front court if I were a Celtics fan. They have a ton of money committed to their perimeter players, and not much flexibility moving forward.

I also think it's hilarious that they are signing all of these  contracts and going deeper into the tax than anybody else at the same time that their owner is trying to sell the team. Like, Wyc Grousback is saying, "Fuck it, sure... give them whatever they want. It's not like I'm going to be around to pay for it anyway."

Grousback may be sticking around as a partial owner.   What is happening is Grousback's dad is 91 and wanting to sell his stake for estate planning purposes (he's the majority owner, Wyc owns a portion and is the public face of ownership).  His dad is still a professor at Stanford, for what that's worth.

The other owner with a sizable portion of the team is Steve Paglicua, who has came out and said that if given the opportunity would like to become the majority owner.  

In other words, things with the ownership structure might not change that much at all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Yeah - I was going to say - you wouldn't want to scare off prospective buyers with a fat fucking tax bill.

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Horford is 38 and Porzingis is about as injury prone as you can get. I wouldn't feel too secure with that front court if I were a Celtics fan.

Exact point I was going to make. Their depth at the stretch 4 and 5 could go downhill in a hurry. 

I honestly have zero worries whatsoever.  Brad is absolutely killing it as GM.  The next wrong move he makes will be his first.  

And what Francisco said about ownership.  I was worried there for about 2 days until they talked a bit more about it.

45 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

TNT says they're matching the offer!

Yep. This is going to end up in court or in some type of settlement. 

I don’t know that much about their matching rights but I am under the impression that the new contracts were written in such a way that it would be impossible for them to truly match them. It’s not just about dollars, it’s about coverage and distribution channels, streaming, etc. 

5 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

WBD is such a poorly run company

2 years ago Laslov couldn't care less about the NBA.  He's only doing this because once the ratings plummet without the NBA the board is going to show him the door.

wtf is this even going to look like? “Welcome to your nba Tuesday night game of the week on Amazon prime featuring the San Antonio spurs and the Indiana pacers!”

“This is the nba on nbc..tonight’s Saturday night basketball in America matchup features the Sacramento kings and the Miami heat”

“This is the nba on tnt, tonight’s Thursday night double header is the New York Knicks vs the Boston Celtics and the Minnesota Timberwolves vs the OKC thunder”

“Tonight’s nba espn primetime Wednesday showdown is between the Denver nuggets and the Philadelphia 76ers”

“Hello everybody this is Mike Breen for the nba on abcs Sunday afternoon colossal showdown between the Orlando magic and the Cleveland cavaliers “

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

wtf is this even going to look like?

Idk, like the NFL? 

• Welcome to Fox's game of the week on Sunday at 3:30
  • Welcome to Sunday Night Football on NBC
  • Welcome to Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime
  • Welcome to Monday Night Football on ESPN/ABC
  • Welcome to your regularly scheduled, but location-dependent, noon game on FOX or noon and 3:30 game on CBS

Oh yeah and you have your:

Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN
Regional broadcasts every other night
Saturday night game on FOX
Plus your games on TBS and FS1

Idk, like the NFL? 
  • Welcome to your regularly scheduled, but location-dependent, noon game on FOX or noon and 3:30 game on CBS

I suppose. I guess it doesn’t seem as overkill with the nfl since it’s only 17 weeks vs whatever how many weeks the nba is and 4X as many games

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Idk, like the NFL? 

The NFL model doesn't bother me the least bit because there are only 17 games a season, then everything in the Playoffs is available on major networks. They also make the game available on your local station if you live in the team's home city area, which is the complete opposite of NBA/MLB blackout rules. 

This new NBA model is going to be a pain in the ass, because having 3+ games a week on 3 different platforms is annoying as fuck. MLB does this, and there was one stretch this year where the Astros had 4 games in 4 nights on 4 different platforms. Some were blacked out locally, because they want you to go sign up for a subscription to some streaming partner. It's a headache and frustrating as a fan/customer, and it's the reason I just cancelled my League Pass subscription.  I don't want to deal with this dumb shit and trying to figure out where it's available every night, I'll pirate it when I feel like it. StreamEast FTW!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

The NFL model doesn't bother me the least bit because there are only 17 games a season, then everything in the Playoffs is available on major networks. They also make the game available on your local station if you live in the team's home city area, which is the complete opposite of NBA/MLB blackout rules. 

This new NBA model is going to be a pain in the ass, because having 3+ games a week on 3 different platforms is annoying as fuck. MLB does this, and there was one stretch this year where the Astros had 4 games in 4 nights on 4 different platforms. Some were blacked out locally, because they want you to go sign up for a subscription to some streaming partner. It's a headache and frustrating as a fan/customer, and it's the reason I just cancelled my League Pass subscription.  I don't want to deal with this dumb shit and trying to figure out where it's available every night, I'll pirate it when I feel like it. StreamEast FTW!

Yeah, this shit is going to push a lot more people to sail the high seas.  Fucking ridiculous.

Edited by Chewbacca

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

If TNT is actually interested in keeping the rights, then this will go to court. But they may have just been posturing the whole time.

That entire company is the definition of fuck around and find out.

Posted (edited)

Yeah....I'm happy for the NBA to return to NBC. Besides having the best theme music, NBC has high quality production for every sport.

Losing inside on TNT will suck, but how much longer was that show going to last, anyway? The NBA is thinking long term here. They probably think it better to just rip that band aid off.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

The truth about Inside the NBA is that it's good almost entirely because of Barkley, and to a lesser extent Ernie playing the straight man. Shaq brings nothing to the table. Kenny brings nothing to the table. And they could find somebody else to do Ernie's job or at least approximate it. But the entire show is great because Charles is great.

The other truth is that it if the other studio shows were even remotely compelling, Inside the NBA wouldn't look so good by comparison. The shit that ESPN puts out is fucking horrible unwatchable. They have never even come close to getting the formula correct. Kendrick Perkins and Stephen A are so, so bad. So I guess now Amazon, NBC and ESPN will all have separate studio shows? Maybe one of them will get it right. The old NBC studio show with Costas and Hannah Storm was good. They were never as entertaining or funny as the TNT group, but they put a good product out there that built up the game they were broadcasting. Maybe it was a little different back then because there were limited avenues to consume the league on TV, but they made the games feel bigger.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The truth about Inside the NBA is that it's good almost entirely because of Barkley, and to a lesser extent Ernie playing the straight man. Shaq brings nothing to the table. Kenny brings nothing to the table. And they could find somebody else to do Ernie's job or at least approximate it. But the entire show is great because Charles is great.

He’s the star obviously, but not everyone plays well off of Barkley. He’s on NBATV during the finals with a different crew and it’s not nearly as good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Shaq brings nothing to the table. Kenny brings nothing to the table.

Fair on Kenny but a bit unkind to Shaq. His booming, falling-out-of-his-chair laughs at Charles' comments make him worth keeping.

Plus, I feel like Charles elevates his bits once Shaq gets to chuckling. The routine wouldn't work as well without Shaq and Chuck feeding off one another.

It's not unlike Martin and Lewis. Sure, Deano had the looks and all the talent, but Jerry still needed to be there to round it out.

Also, we wouldn't have had this without The Big Aristotle.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah....I'm happy for the NBA to return to NBC. Besides having the best theme music, NBC has high quality production for every sport.

Losing inside on TNT will suck, but how much longer was that show going to last, anyway? The NBA is thinking long term here. They probably think it better to just rip that band aid off.

Nope.  This was the best

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The other truth is that it if the other studio shows were even remotely compelling, Inside the NBA wouldn't look so good by comparison. The shit that ESPN puts out is fucking horrible unwatchable. They have never even come close to getting the formula correct. Kendrick Perkins and Stephen A are so, so bad. So I guess now Amazon, NBC and ESPN will all have separate studio shows? Maybe one of them will get it right. The old NBC studio show with Costas and Hannah Storm was good. They were never as entertaining or funny as the TNT group, but they put a good product out there that built up the game they were broadcasting. Maybe it was a little different back then because there were limited avenues to consume the league on TV, but they made the games feel bigger.

Chuck and shaq are comedy relief.   The show has funny moments but its not that great and I was looking forward to other options 

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is the type of rant that makes me unable to quit the NBA.

It really is like the bachelor for straight, athletic dudes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Yes.  Shaq makes Chuck better.

They're basically Statler and Waldorf from the Muppets.   Its funny but it doesnt carry a show.

Honest question, how many actually watched inside the nba on Thursday nights from 11:30-12:30? Unless it’s a wolves playoff game I can’t recall. Usually watch some of the pre show stuff. The theme song is also legendary. Gonna suck to see it go

43 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Shaq fucking sucks. He isn't funny. He isn't insightful. He's a bitter and overly sensitive asshole. 

He lost me when he started going after JaVale McGee. That shit is beneath someone of his status but he just had to belittle the guy and make fun of him and do everything he could to publicly humiliate him. Wtf did JaVale ever do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolero88 said:

Shaq fucking sucks. He isn't funny. He isn't insightful. He's a bitter and overly sensitive asshole. 

Absolutely.   Always been amazing to me that someone who has literally EVERYTHING could be such a bitter sensitive bitch

• Like 1