NBA Offseason Thread 2024 - Fuck you, pay me

Kermit

22 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Honest question, how many actually watched inside the nba on Thursday nights from 11:30-12:30? Unless it’s a wolves playoff game I can’t recall. Usually watch some of the pre show stuff. The theme song is also legendary. Gonna suck to see it go

Primarily during the playoffs or a few key good regular season games.  That's it.

Caught a lot of their funny stuff on YouTube short replay videos several times too.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Can’t stand wright but he’s good. Surprised Colin isn’t the one or maybe he doesn’t want to be 

Cowhurd's a moron and doesn't have the acumen.  Wright has some really stupid opinions but at least he can explain them..... sort of.  Where, o' where is Kellerman?

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Cowhurd's a moron and doesn't have the acumen.  Wright has some really stupid opinions but at least he can explain them..... sort of.  Where, o' where is Kellerman?

Feels like kellerman been spiraling since Stephen a pushed him out

colin is a kingmaker type.  Took Nick under his wing and now has a podcast Chan el worth 9 figs.  

15 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I enjoy FTF even though Wright gets on my nerves a bit. But he makes a good case to at least see where he's coming from a lot of the time. And unlike other talking head shows this one has the feel of dudes sitting around and just saying what they think. It doesn't feel like people take positions on things just to do it, they all believe in what they're saying.

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

He will win them just enough games to perhaps take them out of the best Flagg odds

Utah is in a weird spot. They need a superstar. At this point they may be better off trading some of their draft capital and young players to get one. The treadmill is an awful place to be in the nba. Markkanen waiting to sign his contract so that they can’t trade him before next summer really limits their flexibility. Barring him getting “injured”, they can’t pick a lane for at least another season. 

Utah is in a weird spot. They need a superstar. At this point they may be better off trading some of their draft capital and young players to get one. The treadmill is an awful place to be in the nba. Markkanen waiting to sign his contract so that they can’t trade him before next summer really limits their flexibility. Barring him getting “injured”, they can’t pick a lane for at least another season. 

Delaying the inevitable is the worst place to be in the nba.

And yea winning the lottery on the right year(next year could be one of those years). Then that pick needs to pan out which could take 3 years to know. Suppose they want to bank on a top 4 pick, LM and then unloading draft capital for a 2nd or 3rd star.

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

He will win them just enough games to perhaps take them out of the best Flagg odds

Good. Keeps him off the Warriors and ends Steph and Draymond’s half ass rebuilding plan. 

I think Ainge will game this out. He pulled all the right levers to tank for Duncan and came up just short. I think the Jazz will sit Lauri for any plausible injury. They’re not going to acquire a star in free agency. Signing Lauri, tank for Flagg is one of their very few paths to contention. 

I read a couple pages back. I think I'm general my NBA takes aren't as angry as a lot of what I read here because I don't really have a team, and I don't really dislike many if any players Because I don't really have a team. Except for you Dillon Brooks, you suck.

But I disagree pretty strongly with the anti Inside takes. That show consistently cracks me up and I do try to stay up to watch it every Thursday once the main crew starts hosting. And it isn't just Barkley, it's actually all 4 of them. If you watch enough you can understand how they annoy the shit out of each other because of their intricacies like a bunch of family members. For example Kenny and Shaq and their egos, Chuck repeating the same stories every time a specific subject comes up, Chuck and Shaq getting heated with each other to the point that EJ and Kenny get uncomfortable, Shaq being dumb as a box of rocks. I mean Shaq doing the One Chip challenge like it wasn't going to impact him was legit laughing crying quality stuff, and things like that seem to happen every 3-4 weeks. It legitimately might be my favorite show on tv. And their creative team is also very good (and creative). 

I'm happy they're keeping the show going, at least for a few more years.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m hopping on the thread on page 11; sorry for not reading the prior ten pages. 

I saw where Gordon Hayward retired. I see that Paul is signed with SA and Westbrook is signed with Denver. Are they supposed to stick, or is this just roster manipulation for salary cap room-making?

Yeah I should have tagged the posters. I think [mention=715]Mitch Cumsteen[/mention] said the show wasn't great and it's mostly Chuck and [mention=37]MNLonghornFUKM[/mention] said no one watches it unless their team is playing or something similar. 

I watch inside from like 6-6:30 before the first game and at halftimes. I’m dead ass sleeping at 11:30-12 on a Thursday night unless the wolves are playing or there’s no work the next day I may tune in

I can’t imagine many eastern and central time zoners stay up until midnight- 1AM

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I watch inside from like 6-6:30 before the first game and at halftimes. I’m dead ass sleeping at 11:30-12 on a Thursday night unless the wolves are playing or there’s no work the next day I may tune in

I can’t imagine many eastern and central time zoners stay up until midnight- 1AM

ET here.   Its absolutely not worth staying up for.   I catch clips on twitter.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

crazy to think he could buy the Celtics outright for like  2-3% of his net worth. Dont even need to raise funds really, just buy em. 

Yeah, Simmons tried to make a horrible business case for why Bezos should do it. Amazon kiosks are already in every stadium in the country, and naming rights could be had relatively cheaply. 

Basically, Bezos would have to just want to do it. 

I understand why Simmons is pining for it. The Celtics are in cap hell for next 5 years. A frugal new owner would almost certainly trade pieces away to get out of the apron. They need an owner that DGAF about money. 

Simmons was adamant that the league was setting the Celtics price at $6 billion so they can get that much for expansion franchises in Seattle and Vegas. He also mentioned Mexico City as a possible expansion destination, that would be pretty wild.

Normally, I’d say grain of salt, it’s Simmons, but he nailed TNT losing the NBA months before anyone else. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, Simmons tried to make a horrible business case for why Bezos should do it. Amazon kiosks are already in every stadium in the country, and naming rights could be had relatively cheaply. 

Basically, Bezos would have to just want to do it. 

I understand why Simmons is pining for it. The Celtics are in cap hell for next 5 years. A frugal new owner would almost certainly trade pieces away to get out of the apron. They need an owner that DGAF about money. 

Simmons was adamant that the league was setting the Celtics price at $6 billion so they can get that much for expansion franchises in Seattle and Vegas. He also mentioned Mexico City as a possible expansion destination, that would be pretty wild.

Normally, I’d say grain of salt, it’s Simmons, but he nailed TNT losing the NBA months before anyone else. 

Fuck Simmons but he's not far off here.   I dont know if they will get 6B but they will definitely get 4B each for the new teams.   I dont believe that would be considered BRI so it wouldnt be shared with the players.   The owners would make a statue for Silver getting them 8-10B to put in their pockets

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Remember when the Spurs had a “too many guards” problem with White, Walker and Murray? Now the Celts have 2 of the 3 after they signed Walker IV to a 1 year deal.

Walker isn't even on a real contract. He's on an exhibit 10 deal, which is essentially a training camp invite. I'm not the world's biggest LWIV fan, but it's bizarre that he didn't even get a NBA minimum deal. He's 25, athletic as hell, and shot 38% from three last year on decent volume playing 17 minutes per game. And he's a good dude, allegedly. Granted, he has the basketball IQ of a tree stump, but this is a head scratcher for me. I can't imagine why Brooklyn didn't re-sign him for the minimum. He would be a prototypical tank commander for them this season - some exciting highlights mixed in with overall losing basketball. Odd.

8 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

A lot of unworthy maxes breathing a sigh of relief theyre no longer the worst contract in the league

Don't be a dumb shit. Steph averaging 15 points a game brings more value and $$$ to his franchise than KAT.

Don't be a dumb shit. Steph averaging 15 points a game brings more value and $$$ to his franchise than KAT.

Lmfao. Cope. Enjoy the good times because you had em. A third of the payroll being consumed by a 40 yr old who’ll have knee, ankle, leg injuries is just a waste of every fans time. I thought I read he makes like 187,000,000 up to that 1 yr deal. So it’ll be a fare well circus show for a guy who’ll average 15 points. What a waste of a season

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Lmfao. Cope. Enjoy the good times because you had em. A third of the payroll being consumed by a 40 yr old who’ll have knee, ankle, leg injuries is just a waste of every fans time. I thought I read he makes like 187,000,000 up to that 1 yr deal. So it’ll be a fare well circus show for a guy who’ll average 15 points. What a waste of a season

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

In the offseason that Steph's new contract expires, KAT has a player option (that he'll most certainly exercise) that will pay him $61M for the following season.

What’s your point? If a player makes all nba of course you’re cuffed to pay him, especially for a team located in a market that isn’t considered desirable. He will be 31, and more freaking valuable than 39 yr old Curry at 60 million. But yea, can’t forget how Steph changed the game last the last 14 years so let’s strap our cap to that. Good strategy GS. What’s that, $130,000,000 tied up in curry, green, andrew Wiggins, slow Mo and buddy hield…Lolol. At least you’ll suck enough to tank for your next run, maybe

42 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What’s your point? If a player makes all nba of course you’re cuffed to pay him, especially for a team located in a market that isn’t considered desirable. He will be 31, and more freaking valuable than 39 yr old Curry at 60 million. But yea, can’t forget how Steph changed the game last the last 14 years so let’s strap our cap to that. Good strategy GS. What’s that, $130,000,000 tied up in curry, green, andrew Wiggins, slow Mo and buddy hield…Lolol

My point is: you're not a smart man. There are dozens of contracts considerably worse than Steph's one year extension (reminder: he won them their 4th championship with Andrew Wiggins as their 2nd best player the season immediately after he signed his current deal). KAT being an obvious standout.

KAT has made All-NBA twice in his 9-year career. Two third teams (shit, even Kevin Love made a couple 2nd teams). If was abundantly clear to everyone that he is not capable of being the best player on a playoff team when Minnesota gave him his ridiculous contract...two full fucking seasons before he was set to become a free agent. Beyond idiotic.

Steph has made an All-NBA 10 out of the last 11 seasons, including the past 4. He's a much better and far more valuable player than KAT today, and I'd give it better than a coin flip's chance that he's still better in 3 years. To say absolutely nothing about the literal billions that he's brought to that franchise. Guys like he and LeBron would be making $150M+ a year if there was no salary cap. Are the Warriors going to win a title in those 3 years? Most certainly not...but that doesn't make it a bad contract.

No GM on the planet would take 4 years of KAT at $220M vs. 3 years of a gradually declining Steph at $178M.

The funny thing is: you absolutely know that I'm right. If, tomorrow, Steph and Kat were traded straight up, you'd be giddy with excitement imagining a Steph/Ant backcourt on one of the best defensive teams in the league. Meanwhile, people would assume that Golden State must be tanking for Flagg.

If Minnesota doesn't get over the hump in the next few years, reason #1 will be because they had $100M/year committed to two good--but highly flawed--centers and no draft assets to sweeten up any deal to potentially move one of them.

Edited by aggie08

I’m not a smart man? Why because I don’t agree with you and believe a swan song season for a legend isn’t worth 60,000,000? GS let his lifelong Robin walk for nothing and probably the biggest reason for aiding stephs success.

Never did I once say kats in stephs atmosphere for talent, impact, legacy. I said 31 YR kat will be better than 39 yr old Steph. You called it a greater than coin flip chance steph will be better. If both are making similar money and you have it at a coin flip of who’s gonna be better…wouldn’t that mean you think stephs contract is gonna be shitty?

Yea there’s more to the game than draining 3s. Kats one of the best Jokic defenders in the league. He’s one of the best shooting bigs in the league. He played in the playoffs on one leg because of tear in his knee https://www.si.com/nba/timberwolves/minnesota-timberwolves-news/karl-anthony-towns-reveals-his-knee-was-so-swollen-he-couldn-t-walk-01j5nv6d23kx

Go look at what Dirk, Tim Duncan, DWade, Allen Iverson, Kevin Garnett made their last year vs what they made in their peak year. Stephs deal should be like 15-20M. Those others were making 1-5M

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So if his ankles and knees are shot and he’s able to camp at the 3 pt line but can’t move…that’s worthy of $60,000,000?

I mean, that's probably the 30th percentile outcome, and given all that he's given to the franchise I think it's fine

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m not a smart man? Why because I don’t agree with you and believe a swan song season for a legend isn’t worth 60,000,000? GS let his lifelong Robin walk for nothing and probably the biggest reason for aiding stephs success.

Never did I once say kats in stephs atmosphere for talent, impact, legacy. I said 31 YR kat will be better than 39 yr old Steph. You called it a greater than coin flip chance steph will be better. If both are making similar money and you have it at a coin flip of who’s gonna be better…wouldn’t that mean you think stephs contract is gonna be shitty?

Yea there’s more to the game than chucking 3s. Kats one of the best Jokic defenders in the league. He’s one of the best shooting bigs in the league. He played in the playoffs on one leg because of tear in his knee https://www.si.com/nba/timberwolves/minnesota-timberwolves-news/karl-anthony-towns-reveals-his-knee-was-so-swollen-he-couldn-t-walk-01j5nv6d23kx

Long story short I’m not a fan of swan song years costing so damn much for a team. Go look at what Dirk, Tim Duncan, DWade, Allen Iverson, Kevin Garnett made their last year vs what they made in their peak year. Stephs deal should be like 15-20M. Those others were making 1-5M

Jesus, I can't kept up with the goalpost moving. From new "worst contract in the league" to "well, I, uh, am just not a fan of overpriced swan songs." 

1) All of the guys that you just mentioned were physically toast when they signed their last contracts. At best, clearly diminished. At worst, they were practically bed-ridden like Dirk. And only Timmy was on a team with any realistic title hopes at the end.

If Steph only took a $20M extension, does that realistically put them in position to compete for a title? $40M less to Steph doesn't mean that they have $40M more to go spend on players...that's not how the cap works.

2) All but Dirk and Tim played for other teams. Most of them came back to their original teams strictly for the sentimental value of retiring with them. How important do you wager it is for Golden State that Steph never plays in another jersey?

3) You're assuming that the 26-27 season will be Steph's last. He was All-NBA last season and was the toast of the Olympics two weeks ago, where, by the way, another 40 year old was very clearly the best player on the team. Until he shows clear signs of diminished play, accepting $20M/year is absurd.

Jesus, I can't kept up with the goalpost moving. From new "worst contract in the league" to "well, I, uh, am just not a fan of overpriced swan songs." 
1) All of the guys that you just mentioned were physically toast when they signed their last contracts. At best, clearly diminished. At worst, they were practically bed-ridden like Dirk. And only Timmy was on a team with any realistic title hopes at the end.
If Steph only took a $20M extension, does that realistically put them in position to compete for a title? $40M less to Steph doesn't mean that they have $40M more to go spend on players...that's not how the cap works.
2) All but Dirk and Tim played for other teams. Most of them came back to their original teams strictly for the sentimental value of retiring with them. How important do you wager it is for Golden State that Steph never plays in another jersey?
3) You're assuming that the 26-27 season will be Steph's last. He was All-NBA last season and was the toast of the Olympics two weeks ago, where, by the way, another 40 year old was very clearly the best player on the team. Until he shows clear signs of diminished play, accepting $20M/year is absurd.

You have no clue what kind of shape steph will be in 3 years. He too could be physically toast. This last year was the first time since 16/17 he hit 70 games played. That’s not guaranteed again as he gets on the wrong side of 35, And GS still missed the playoffs.

I’m perfectly fine with GS tying up close to 90mwith a couple of old timers for the foreseeable future. I don’t really give a shit if stephs “worth it” or “earned it”…he’s still making top money for the next 3 yrs, that’s not good enough?I’d be livid if KG spent his entire career here and we maxed him at age 35 for 38YO KG to produce 10 pts and 10 rebounds.

And stop mixing my words. I never once disrespected curry or his accomplishments. I know he’s a legend and the best shooter of all time. But comparing Steph to lebron in terms of physical longevity is stupid.

Lebron 1,777 total games played, 56,597 min played

Steph 1,091 games played, 32,724 min played

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You have no clue what kind of shape steph will be in 3 years. He too could be physically toast. This last year was the first time since 16/17 he hit 70 games played. That’s not guaranteed again as he gets on the wrong side of 35, And GS still missed the playoffs.

I’m perfectly fine with GS tying up close to 90mwith a couple of old timers for the foreseeable future. I don’t really give a shit if stephs “worth it” or “earned it”…he’s still making top money for the next 3 yrs, that’s not good enough?I’d be livid if KG spent his entire career here and we maxed him at age 35 for 38YO KG to produce 10 pts and 10 rebounds.

And stop mixing my words. I never once disrespected curry or his accomplishments. I know he’s a legend and the best shooter of all time. But comparing Steph to lebron in terms of physical longevity is stupid.

Lebron 1,777 total games played, 56,597 min played

Steph 1,091 games played, 32,724 min played

And that's all fine and dandy. Those are actually salient points. But "Golden State may come to regret this extension in two years if Steph isn't capable of 60+ games by 2026" is a far cry from "A lot of unworthy maxes breathing a sigh of relief theyre no longer the worst contract in the league" which is what started this discussion. Nah, KAT still has worst contact in the league status for awhile longer because, and this part always makes me laugh, his contact hasn't even technically started yet. That deal was awful the second pen hit paper.