NBA Offseason Thread 2024 - Fuck you, pay me

Kermit

Lot of ins and outs to this Curry/KAT contract comparison. My unwanted thoughts:

1. Curry was grossly underpaid for a good portion of his career. He signed an extension coming off injury at well below market value, which in no small part allowed them to sign Durant and everyone else for the meat of their run. I'm pretty sure he was getting about half of what Durant was making when KD signed with them. He's owed back pay.

2. The Warriors are not going to be competing for championships in the foreseeable future and are likely to not even make the playoffs. They have the most expensive building in the league and he is the most important person in the history of that franchise. Even with a crap team, they still have seats to fill and people will come out just to see him, even if he's washed and they're losing. We saw it with the Lakers and Kobe. He's worth it to them, just to put butts in the seats. Conversely, they can't have him show up in a Lakers uniform goofing around with Lebron and have a nice tribute video to say "thanks for everything". They just can't let that happen under any circumstances.

3. KAT seems like a nice enough guy and is no doubt talented, but on the basketball court he's a brain dead, mangy, flea-ridden dog. His contract is enough of an albatross, but it's the combination of it with the Gobert contract that makes it untenable for the maintenance of the rest of the roster. The Twolves got so much mileage out of that Denver series, it's not even funny. I still can't explain the game 7 second half Nugget collapse. But if not for that, we're having a completely different conversation. One where they blow a 2-0 lead going home for games 3 and 4, and losing by 45 in their own building to close it out in game 6. I still chalk up that entire series as a fluke. And for them to get pasted in 5 by the very flawed Mavericks just lends more credence to the idea. As great as Edwards is, I still refuse to believe you can win a championship with Gobert and KAT playing major minutes for your team until I see it with my own eyes.

22 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

1. Curry was grossly underpaid for a good portion of his career. He signed an extension coming off injury at well below market value, which in no small part allowed them to sign Durant and everyone else for the meat of their run. I'm pretty sure he was getting about half of what Durant was making when KD signed with them. He's owed back pay.

I will say that I'm a little surprised that he signed an extension--even a short 1-year one--so early, with two years left on his current deal. He'd never admit it, obviously, but it's a subtle admission that he's done realistically competing for titles. There's a world where he could extend his late career championship window by being the 2nd best player on a contending team (Ray Allen on steroids). But I think staying a Warrior matters more to him at this point, and there aren't any mechanisms to get a mega star to Golden State in the next year or so, even if he took a more "team-friendly" deal.

Lot of ins and outs to this Curry/KAT contract comparison. My unwanted thoughts:
2. The Warriors are not going to be competing for championships in the foreseeable future and are likely to not even make the playoffs. They have the most expensive building in the league and he is the most important person in the history of that franchise. Even with a crap team, they still have seats to fill and people will come out just to see him, even if he's washed and they're losing. We saw it with the Lakers and Kobe. He's worth it to them, just to put butts in the seats. Conversely, they can't have him show up in a Lakers uniform goofing around with Lebron and have a nice tribute video to say "thanks for everything". They just can't let that happen under any circumstances.
3. KAT seems like a nice enough guy and is no doubt talented, but on the basketball court he's a brain dead, mangy, flea-ridden dog. His contract is enough of an albatross, but it's the combination of it with the Gobert contract that makes it untenable for the maintenance of the rest of the roster. The Twolves got so much mileage out of that Denver series, it's not even funny. I still can't explain the game 7 second half Nugget collapse. But if not for that, we're having a completely different conversation. One where they blow a 2-0 lead going home for games 3 and 4, and losing by 45 in their own building to close it out in game 6. I still chalk up that entire series as a fluke. And for them to get pasted in 5 by the very flawed Mavericks just lends more credence to the idea. As great as Edwards is, I still refuse to believe you can win a championship with Gobert and KAT playing major minutes for your team until I see it with my own eyes.

If curry can be paid 60 million because the warriors have to, what’s the difference in paying KAT because we have to? I mean he made all nba. I was kinda hoping he wouldn’t so he wouldn’t get a super max but it happens. Teams like MN have to pay a #1 overall pick of the franchise that. We’re not Miami, LA, NYC to attract big free agents.

Look at the list of https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/ and tell me outside of the top 4 how some of those players each deserve their contracts. I don’t think kats a max player. But the nba hands out maxes like candy. That all happened before trading for Rudy. I’m not gonna get into the logistics of the playoffs with Denver and Dallas while saying it was flukey. Don’t act like you didn’t hesitantly pick MN to beat Dallas so to sit here and say it was fluke they even made it to the WCF after the fact is dumb.

If some Bay Area residents are going to pay top dollar to maybe see the shell of Steph curry, then so be it. It’s comforting to know GS is basically punting the rest of curry’s career
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ok, admittedly, in my haste to prod you about KAT I completely forgot that Bradley Beal exists. He is the reigning worst contract king with room to spare. With a no trade clause to boot. Then KAT, then Dame.

And that's all fine and dandy. Those are actually salient points. But "Golden State may come to regret this extension in two years if Steph isn't capable of 60+ games by 2026" is a far cry from "A lot of unworthy maxes breathing a sigh of relief theyre no longer the worst contract in the league" which is what started this discussion. Nah, KAT still has worst contact in the league status for awhile longer because, and this part always makes me laugh, his contact hasn't even technically started yet. That deal was awful the second pen hit paper.

I’d take kat over the following who earn around as much as he will in 2 yrs. Age is a factor in this 2 years from now:

,Paul George, Siakam, Kawhi Leonard, Bradley Beal,Damian Lillard, Trae Young, Zach Lavine, Lauri Markennan, Rudy gobert, Darius Garland, Zion Williamson, OG Anuonby, Michael Porter, Lamelo Ball, Desmond Bane, Jrue Holiday, Isaiah Hartenstein,

Who I would take over kat 2 years from now earning around the same: Jokic, Embiid, Jaylen Brown, Booker, Giannis, Brow, Doncic, Haliburton, Shai etc

Some of those are going to get ridiculous contracts coming up so I’ll quit there.

Topic change. I just went down the Kobe YouTube rabbit hole. No one shot it like him. The net just ripped every time. I think it was the flatter arc and not as much spin, but I have never heard that sound except from him.

On 8/30/2024 at 5:33 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

If curry can be paid 60 million because the warriors have to, what’s the difference in paying KAT because we have to? I mean he made all nba. I was kinda hoping he wouldn’t so he wouldn’t get a super max but it happens. Teams like MN have to pay a #1 overall pick of the franchise that. We’re not Miami, LA, NYC to attract big free agents.

Look at the list of https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/ and tell me outside of the top 4 how some of those players each deserve their contracts. I don’t think kats a max player. But the nba hands out maxes like candy. That all happened before trading for Rudy. I’m not gonna get into the logistics of the playoffs with Denver and Dallas while saying it was flukey. Don’t act like you didn’t hesitantly pick MN to beat Dallas so to sit here and say it was fluke they even made it to the WCF after the fact is dumb.

If some Bay Area residents are going to pay top dollar to maybe see the shell of Steph curry, then so be it. It’s comforting to know GS is basically punting the rest of curry’s career

Yep. The Markkanen “pursuit” was GSW’s last gasp at contention. 

On 9/5/2024 at 8:31 AM, Chewbacca said:

MPJ does not belong this list.  

He most certainly does...

He has the 35th highest salary in the league and is no where close to a top 35 player (or even top 75).

Per = 91
Win Shares = 53
Win Shares/48 = 73
Offensive +/- = 63
Defensive +/- = 152
Box +/- = 101

He is a JAG who is lucky to play with an all-time great or else his stats would be MUCH worse.

9 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

He most certainly does...

He has the 35th highest salary in the league and is no where close to a top 35 player (or even top 75).

Per = 91
Win Shares = 53
Win Shares/48 = 73
Offensive +/- = 63
Defensive +/- = 152
Box +/- = 101

He is a JAG who is lucky to play with an all-time great or else his stats would be MUCH worse.

He has a ring and was an integral part of getting that ring.  His contract's AAV is $35 million.  KAT's is $49 million with no ring. Ben Simmons makes $40 million a year and is no longer a functional basketball player.

Deandre Jordan has a ring too, it doesnt mean he is a good player. MPJ is better than Simmons and a few others on the list, but he does not provide the value of his contract. He is paid as almost an all-star player, when in reality he will never sniff that level.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

He’s going to become the manager of the men’s basketball program at St. Bonaventure

Didn’t have that on my bingo card

Yeah that's pretty wild.   Dont know his family situation but I'm guessing having a job where he can basically be in one place all the time without being on his phone 24 hrs/day is the idea

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Being an insider sounds like a terrible job.

I mean, it probably beats digging a ditch, but overall yeah. Other than being constantly attached to your phone 24/7/365 and having to be the first one to report when a bench player signs a veteran minimum deal with the urgency of a nuclear attack, the sucking up to the agents has to be the worst. The trade off between access / information and your integrity as a "journalist" has got to make your skin crawl.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

OKC's new signing.  I had no idea he could do any of this:

LOL. Russillo has a running bit/rant about big guys getting clips like this posted and everyone getting hyped up and saying shit like "look out for this dude next season". It happens like clockwork every offseason.

There's a difference between playing a bunch of guys not good enough to play in the league and playing in an NBA game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

remember when damarcus croaker had a great open run in orlando with marcin gortat and he was supposed to become some nba superstar because of it?

i learned at a very young age going to UT practices that everyone is awesome in practice, that everyone is really skilled, but that there’s a huge leap up from showing skills in practice to doing it in the game. remember shaquille cleare going all and-1 mixtape tour during the orange/white game? everybody at this level is really really good outside of official games.

• Hook 'Em 1

Windy has that LeBron/Rich Paul hookup though, he could rival Shams if he can get the early info on guys in that network. They need to come up with a clever nickname for his "bomb" tweets though, maybe we can brainstorm some on the board and submit them? 

Brian Blast

Air Burst

Windy Whammy

Blowy Bomb