NBA Offseason Thread 2024 - Fuck you, pay me

Kermit

Fucking OKC, man. I don’t know where those next two Clippers picks are going to end up but got dam. That trade would have been a fleecing if it had just been SGA for PG3. 

I continue to be impressed with Dallas front office moves. Marshall isn’t quite the athletic defender Jones Jr is, but he’s a very solid two way guy who could really blossom with more minutes. The other thing about DJJ is that he’s had health problems that have stunted his career. Those type of guys always seem to work out well when they sign with the Clippers. Fucking OKC, man. 

The one signing I’m really scratching my head about is Washington with Valencunious. What the fuck? They could accidentally end up winning some games with him and Kuzma. I guess Jordan Poole will put a quick end to that, but it still makes no sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The one signing I’m really scratching my head about is Washington with Valencunious. What the fuck? They could accidentally end up winning some games with him and Kuzma. I guess Jordan Poole will put a quick end to that, but it still makes no sense to me. 

It was pretty cheap, maybe they are hoping to rehab his image a bit and flip him at the deadline.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

53M to a 38 YO has a nice ring to it

It's just mind-boggling the amount of money thrown around in the NBA.

Good for the players but, I'm not sure it is good for the game to have the rosters basically paying three guys per team and the rest of the roster gets very little (compared to the stars).

Fucking OKC, man. I don’t know where those next two Clippers picks are going to end up but got dam. That trade would have been a fleecing if it had just been SGA for PG3. 
I continue to be impressed with Dallas front office moves. Marshall isn’t quite the athletic defender Jones Jr is, but he’s a very solid two way guy who could really blossom with more minutes. The other thing about DJJ is that he’s had health problems that have stunted his career. Those type of guys always seem to work out well when they sign with the Clippers. Fucking OKC, man. 

Wizards are the type of franchise that would trade Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps

23 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Fucking damn it

It's a slight overpay by OKC, but who the fuck cares when you have that many guys on rookie deals and the 27th lowest payroll in the league. Great signing. 

That's a filthy team when you add Caruso and Hartenstein to the team with the best record in the west and only lose Giddey who got played off the floor in the playoffs. And I think other than Caruso who is only 30, they are all like 26 and under. And they have the most future draft capital in the league as well. Fuck those guys.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

It's a slight overpay by OKC, but who the fuck cares when you have that many guys on rookie deals and the 27th lowest payroll in the league. Great signing. 
That's a filthy team when you add Caruso and Hartenstein to the team with the best record in the west and only lose Giddey who got played off the floor in the playoffs. And I think other than Caruso who is only 30, they are all like 26 and under. And they have the most future draft capital in the league as well. Fuck those guys.

So move Dort to the bench? Do these guys have too many options? Yea the picks are sexy to have but when it’s time to pay JW and Chet, wtf will they do?

Shai, Caruso, JW, Chet and IH is pretty nice

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

It was pretty cheap, maybe they are hoping to rehab his image a bit and flip him at the deadline.

Yeah I am thinking he was looking to get some money on the books and then ask out by the trade deadline.   And they are looking at him as an asset they can try to trade for a pick later.

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i'd think hartenstein comes off the bench. does caruso?

I'd bet Caruso would be coming off the bench.   Dort has been pretty solid and significantly upgraded his shooting which is what used to keep him off the floor.

Shai-Dort-JW-Chet-IH

Caruso-Wallace-Joe-Wiggins-Jaylin W

Great for a season rotation.  Could be a very interesting package for Lauri there.  Any number of firsts, Wallace and Dort get it done? 

Shai-Caruso-JW-Lauri-Chet

Joe-Wiggins-Jaylin W-IH

This group gets even better with Topic the next season 

Shai-Dort-JW-Chet-IH
Great for a season rotation.  Could be a very interesting package for Lauri there.  Any number of firsts, Wallace and Dort get it done? 

Joe-Wiggins-Jaylin W-IH

Just amazing how OKC got the overall better player in the PG Shai trade + the pick haul.

At least when we traded for Gobert, our scraps are mostly no longer with Utah besides Kessler.

What a fleece
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

The issue with Markkanen is his contract. It's complicated. Not too get too far into the minutiae of the CBA regarding extensions, trades, timing and dates, but it's going to be more difficult for Utah to move him than it appears. I'm pretty sure the Hartenstein signing takes OKC out of the running.

Basically, you can't extend LM until his contract hits year 3, which is Aug 27 and you have to extend him into cap space. You can't trade someone that you extended for 6 months, which would be post trade deadline. You can't extend someone that you trade for, for 6 months. And everybody needs to hit the salary floor in October. The only teams that could hold close to enough cap space for an extension are probably the Spurs and Pistons, and even so it would cost LM some money. If Utah trades him to a team that decides not to extend him until the end of the season, then it's going to cost LM about $15 million. 

All of that is a long way of saying, that there really isn't that much of a market for LM and Danny Ainge isn't going to be able to bend anybody over for him. The most likely scenario is that he stays put in Utah, unless he wants to take a decent sized haircut and/or take a risk of getting injured in a contract year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Shai-Dort-JW-Chet-IH

Joe-Wiggins-Jaylin W-IH

That will be the starting lineup and the bench.  With their rotations, the starters play a lot of overlap minutes with the bench so the lineup is basically whatever.  I love the signing, though.  That's what they needed even if he's not great on offense.  

In closing time, though, they can put a defensive lineup out there of SGA, Dort, Wallace, Caruso, and Chet.  Good luck getting a shot off.

30 minutes ago, HookEm said:

No chance they can throw some picks and assets at Phoenix to bring KD home to bookend his career?

Supposedly, there is interest on this from KD's part but not OKC's.  I'd like to see it happen and the timeline works out before they have to really start paying SGA, JW, and Chet.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The issue with Markkanen is his contract. It's complicated. Not too get too far into the minutiae of the CBA regarding extensions, trades, timing and dates, but it's going to be more difficult for Utah to move him than it appears. I'm pretty sure the Hartenstein signing takes OKC out of the running.

Basically, you can't extend LM until his contract hits year 3, which is Aug 27 and you have to extend him into cap space. You can't trade someone that you extended for 6 months, which would be post trade deadline. You can't extend someone that you trade for, for 6 months. And everybody needs to hit the salary floor in October. The only teams that could hold close to enough cap space for an extension are probably the Spurs and Pistons, and even so it would cost LM some money. If Utah trades him to a team that decides not to extend him until the end of the season, then it's going to cost LM about $15 million. 

All of that is a long way of saying, that there really isn't that much of a market for LM and Danny Ainge isn't going to be able to bend anybody over for him. The most likely scenario is that he stays put in Utah, unless he wants to take a decent sized haircut and/or take a risk of getting injured in a contract year.

Got it.  Thanks for the breakdown.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Just amazing how OKC got the overall better player in the PG Shai trade + the pick haul.

At least when we traded for Gobert, our scraps are mostly no longer with Utah besides Kessler.

What a fleece

To be slightly fair, the trade was really that haul for PG AND Kawhi, because you weren't getting Kawhi without landing PG.

Adding a, at the time, Top 3 player who just won Finals' MVP and a top 12 player and only losing one young contributor (SGA) from a 48 win team seemed like a pretty good deal at the time. 

But, of course, they went and Clippered and Kawhi'd it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Awkward

Gonna be interesting to see if GSW lets the beef keep them from getting something in return for him or not.   Not exactly the best way to let one of your team's all time greats go out.   But its not the first time and it sure as hell wont be the last.

Speaking of interesting 

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Gonna be interesting to see if GSW lets the beef keep them from getting something in return for him or not.   Not exactly the best way to let one of your team's all time greats go out.   But its not the first time and it sure as hell wont be the last.

the beef ??

image.png.6a3ad352c20f6604580f91178a136477.png

• Haha 1

Good for Klay. Go play a role on a team realistically competing for a title. He's washed if you need to depend on him as a consistent second scorer, but he still has years in the tank as a late career Ray Allen spot up shooter. And, I don't care if he's 0 for his last 37, you still have to guard him like he's Klay Fucking Thompson. Plus, he shouldn't hinder Luka and Kyrie's above average perimeter defense too much.

• Like 1

Great for Cleveland that they retain him but with that third year option he’s got them by the short and curlies for the foreseeable future. He’s clearly won the power struggle in that org, and we all know how well it usually works when your best player decides he’s going to play GM in his spare time. Does he have kids that will be draft eligible anytime soon?

He also sets himself up with a second ridiculous extension if he opts out because he will have 10 years service by then. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

21 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Great for Cleveland that they retain him but with that third year option he’s got them by the short and curlies for the foreseeable future. He’s clearly won the power struggle in that org, and we all know how well it usually works when your best player decides he’s going to play GM in his spare time. Does he have kids that will be draft eligible anytime soon?

He also sets himself up with a second ridiculous extension if he opts out because he will have 10 years service by then. 

This isn't a power struggle, it's a 2 year addition to his current contract, so 3 years in total guaranteed with the Cavs (35m, ~46m, ~50m).  At that point, he will be eligible for more money with 10 years of service, which is a 5% increase in the max dollars he gets on his next contract in the 2027-28 season. He will be 31 at that point and looking for 4 more years at max with the Cavs to get the max potential value for himself.  Great deal for the Cavs, they had to do this deal regardless.  This should ensure those those Cavs picks owed to Utah are in the 20s, so Danny Ainge can go suck a fat one. 

Mobley is also eligible for an extension, and I'm not sure what they are going to do with him. He's an RFA next year, and if I'm the Cavs GM, I may just wait and see how he does next year. Not sure he's worth 40m a year or whatever max rookie extension is nowadays.  Maybe another team works a S&T for him next year instead, and that lets them retool around the core. 

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

This isn't a power struggle, it's a 2 year addition to his current contract, so 3 years in total guaranteed with the Cavs (35m, ~46m, ~50m).  At that point, he will be eligible for more money with 10 years of service, which is a 5% increase in the max dollars he gets on his next contract in the 2027-28 season. He will be 31 at that point and looking for 4 more years at max with the Cavs to get the max potential value for himself.  Great deal for the Cavs, they had to do this deal regardless.  This should ensure those those Cavs picks owed to Utah are in the 20s, so Danny Ainge can go suck a fat one. 

Mobley is also eligible for an extension, and I'm not sure what they are going to do with him. He's an RFA next year, and if I'm the Cavs GM, I may just wait and see how he does next year. Not sure he's worth 40m a year or whatever max rookie extension is nowadays.  Maybe another team works a S&T for him next year instead, and that lets them retool around the core. 

Sure, this contract was about maximizing his next contract, but the third year option maintains much of his leverage over the franchise. They have been talking about this extension (and him possibly going to NY) literally from the day that he got traded from Utah. It's been looming the entire time. In the meantime, he got the coach fired. They are probably going to move off Garland. Whatever they do with Mobley and Allen, I imagine he will have to sign off on. 

I guess in this day and age, it doesn't really matter because every star has leverage and can just demand a trade whenever the hell they feel like it regardless of contract status, but this one feels a little more sticky to me for whatever reason. I could be way off, here.

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What’s the point of a CBA & aprons if it’s set up for 1 player who’s not 9in 99% of the leagues top 10 players is set to earn 76,000,000 a season in 4 years?

The point of the CBA is parity. They have legislated out the super teams, and it's going to be so good for the league. 

It very well might suck for franchises that have three guys on max contracts, have a murky ownership situation and have mortgaged all of their future draft capital though.