NBA Offseason Thread 2024 - Fuck you, pay me

Kermit

21 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It very well might suck for franchises that have three guys on max contracts, have a murky ownership situation and have mortgaged all of their future draft capital though. 

But in a month, KAT's contract probably won't be among the worst in the league anymore. I haz a sad.

• Haha 1

The point of the CBA is parity. They have legislated out the super teams, and it's going to be so good for the league. 
It very well might suck for franchises that have three guys on max contracts, have a murky ownership situation and have mortgaged all of their future draft capital though. 

Funny how the narrative has gone from “doing all things necessary to win a championship” to “make sure our future isn’t fucked by max contracts, and no draft picks by rolling the dice on needed talent.

News flash Mitch, draft picks are still overrated. Hence why you traded a 10 pick for an unknown commodity. Your gut says MN won’t be a contender by 2030 and the draft pick will be valuable for future trade to land a star(lol funny how it’s ok for SA to accumulate picks and trade but MN can’t).You don’t know for sure what 2030 looks like. San Antonio literally gave up a chance for a dynamic scoring PG for an unknown and a 39 YO CP3 you need to pretend to cheer for after 20 years of hating.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I like what the Magic are doing, but are they’re going to be blocked by the Celtics for the foreseeable future? Banchero probably needs to become all NBA First Team for them to push through.

Same goes for OKC, but I think Denver bounces back in a big way. 

I think Klay is washed, especially on defense. I understand the Mavs got him cheap and they had to make a move, but I’m not sure this helps. 

Spurs wisely won’t make Wemby go through a year without a guard capable of making an entry pass. Chris Paul is old as shit, but he’ll help Wemby grow. Spurs probably win the 30ish games next year and remain in the lottery. Win-win.

I’m glad my Rockets stood pat. Run it back with a healthy team and see where they are at the trade deadline.

I hate this GSW is retooling while the Lakers are contending bullshit. They’re both looking up at the play-in. I won’t go off on Bron, but the salary cut rumors were lies pumped out by his media machine. If Bron was willing to take a hair cut, the Lakers theoretically could have signed whomever they wanted. No longer a serious player or franchise. 

The new CBA introduced a second tax apron that is so punitive that it scared off Steve Ballmer, the richest owner in the league by far, from re-signing Paul George. The era of the super team is effectively over.

Unfortunately, teams that draft well are going to be punished by this too. If you happen to draft 3 or more max-type players, your window to win with them is now shorter, you’re going to have to dump somebody before those contracts all inflate and cause you to reach that second tax apron.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Well, I'll certainly sleep better knowing that after much deliberation, Lebron decided to stay in LA salvaging the LBJ/Bronny superteam.  

Lakers are about a million dollars in the second apron as is.

Hold onto your hats to see if lebron takes that pay cut or not. He may have to go over some numbers

35 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the need for the Lakers to keep saying Bronny earned this is hilarious...stahp already, you look desperate.

Coulda had Bronny and someone actually worth drafting, but instead being able to say "Bronny was drafted" took precedence. That's just.....so god damn hilarious to me.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Lakers are about a million dollars in the second apron as is.

Hold onto your hats to see if lebron takes that pay cut or not. He may have to go over some numbers

Lakers in the second apron because of LeBron is the most LeBron thing ever.  Gonna hamstring the fuck out of his team for a few million dollars.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lebron has more money than any basketball player not named MJ, is old AF and on his last leg, and conned one of the most historic franchises into drafting his shit son and giving him a 4 year contract. He could afford to take a contract that reflects his current talent and have the team sign one or two other great players and try to make another run or two with his son on the squad. Nah bruh give me those max dollars dawg after I extorted you to draft my shit son and leaked that I’d take less money. As the thread title says, Fuck you pay me! - Lebron

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Funny how the narrative has gone from “doing all things necessary to win a championship” to “make sure our future isn’t fucked by max contracts, and no draft picks by rolling the dice on needed talent.

News flash Mitch, draft picks are still overrated. Hence why you traded a 10 pick for an unknown commodity. Your gut says MN won’t be a contender by 2030 and the draft pick will be valuable for future trade to land a star(lol funny how it’s ok for SA to accumulate picks and trade but MN can’t).You don’t know for sure what 2030 looks like. San Antonio literally gave up a chance for a dynamic scoring PG for an unknown and a 39 YO CP3 you need to pretend to cheer for after 20 years of hating.

I don't think the narrative has changed that much. There's a fine line between doing all things necessary to win a championship and pushing all of your chips into the middle of the table with a losing hand. You know, that whole discretion and valor thing. 

Regarding draft picks being overrated... I guess we'll see. It seems to be working out pretty well for OKC so far. I don't think it's going to end as well for teams like Phoenix, Milwaukee, and the Clippers. And I don't think it's going to work out so great for your Twolves, either, but I guess we will see. 

Also, unrelated but hilarious....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't think the narrative has changed that much. There's a fine line between doing all things necessary to win a championship and pushing all of your chips into the middle of the table with a losing hand. You know, that whole discretion and valor thing. 

Regarding draft picks being overrated... I guess we'll see. It seems to be working out pretty well for OKC so far. I don't think it's going to end as well for teams like Phoenix, Milwaukee, and the Clippers. And I don't think it's going to work out so great for your Twolves, either, but I guess we will see. 

he earned it. 

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Lebron has more money than any basketball player not named MJ, is old AF and on his last leg, and conned one of the most historic franchises into drafting his shit son and giving him a 4 year contract. He could afford to take a contract that reflects his current talent and have the team sign one or two other great players and try to make another run or two with his son on the squad. Nah bruh give me those max dollars dawg after I extorted you to draft my shit son and leaked that I’d take less money. As the thread title says, Fuck you pay me! - Lebron

His current talent is all-NBA level.   That is a max contract player all day, everyday.   If you want to say he can afford to take less, ok.  The Lakers can also afford to pay him.  They've made plenty of money because he is there and their franchise value has grown significantly since he got there.   

3 hours ago, d2o said:

His current talent is all-NBA level.   That is a max contract player all day, everyday.   If you want to say he can afford to take less, ok.  The Lakers can also afford to pay him.  They've made plenty of money because he is there and their franchise value has grown significantly since he got there.   

Yeah, Lebron is absolutely still a max level player. His son is overpaid, but he isn’t.

Its funny, the Lakers are an incredibly poorly run organization and the owners have been let off the hook because Lebron takes all the arrows. Lakers ownership stunk before Lebron got there, the reason they had to cede so much power to him in the first place is because they’ve been such a tire fire since Jerry Buss died.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well you literally picked the wolves to win the series Vs Dallas so I guess we’re on the doorstep. Lukai went nuclear in crunch time and made ridiculous shots they missed Vs Boston.

Y'all can talk about the Fakeshow all you want and yes they are going to suck but you how to bow down to the Clippers incompetence. Trading SGA for PG3 then letting the latter walk for nothing while keeping the NBA's two most broken "stars". I can't wait till Harden pitches a fit and starts crying like a bitch. I hope this time the rest of the NBA tells him to fuck straight off.

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Y'all can talk about the Fakeshow all you want and yes they are going to suck but you how to bow down to the Clippers incompetence. Trading SGA for PG3 then letting the latter walk for nothing while keeping the NBA's two most broken "stars". I can't wait till Harden pitches a fit and starts crying like a bitch. I hope this time the rest of the NBA tells him to fuck straight off.

Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

I try not to watch Lebron in any format, so I’m basing most of my 2024 opinion on Ime Udoka calling him a bitch boy then Lebron crying about it.LeBron James Told to 'Stop B----ing' by Ime Udoka in Leaked Audio ...

A couple posters said he was All NBA talent, does that mean top 5? It looks like he was #13 in ppg, #20 in fg%, #29 in 3pt%, #32 in rpg, #6 in apg, #20 in steals, and #97 in blocks. Looks like only top 5 category is #3 in most turnovers per game. In the insane NBA where every marginal star gets a max contract, he probably deserves one as much others, but he’s not as important to the NBA or society as a whole as he thinks he is. If he wanted to thank the Lakers (and their fans) for drafting his shit son and putting on all these staged press conferences pretending Bronny has earned it on his own, or if he actually cared about winning, he might have taken a contract less than $54m/year. D2O said he earned it for all the money the Lakers have made the past few years…ok but the Lakers still have a salary cap and it’s a team sport where you need more than Brow and old man Bron and 4ppg in college Bronny. 

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Well you literally picked the wolves to win the series Vs Dallas so I guess we’re on the doorstep. Lukai went nuclear in crunch time and made ridiculous shots they missed Vs Boston.

Look the west is deep with very good teams but no great ones. Maybe okc gets there this year but otherwise it’s all about matchups. The wolves were this close to the finals. Also, if Dallas loses one more regular season game and they drop to the six seed, they probably lose in the first round and then the narrative is completely different. 

Minnesota matched up well against Denver, who probably beats Dallas if they played. The Lakers matched up well against OKC but terribly against Denver. Who knows what happens if the seeding goes a little differently. It’s rock, paper, scissors right now. 

Point being, things broke right for Minnesota. They had a great season but I wouldn’t let the results get in the way of critical thinking. They still have the worst cap / future picks combo in the league (other than Phoenix) and a murky ownership situation. Running it back this year with a $50 million tax bill is going to be ok, but things will get dicey with their depth sooner rather than later. 

So what road does one take?

Accumulate picks, shed salary and miss playoffs(nets, jazz)

Fast forward any kind of realistic rebuild timeline by winning an alien lottery, accumulate picks, then use picks to get star(s) then be in cap trouble when it comes to paying star(s) (spurs)

Get the better, younger and cheaper player in deal, and 600 picks, but will have to pay current players on rookie deals in a few years and be in cap trouble(OKC) and still have 550 picks to pay

Acquire talent via trades and go for it, worry about rest later(wolves suns clippers)

Sign 3 organically grown players to max deals, 1 being once in a lifetime talent and not have a bench (denver)

Get lucky with 2 consecutive draft hits, make a few right deals and get lucky with any other star in your conference getting injured (Boston)

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I try not to watch Lebron in any format, so I’m basing most of my 2024 opinion on Ime Udoka calling him a bitch boy then Lebron crying about it.LeBron James Told to 'Stop B----ing' by Ime Udoka in Leaked Audio ...

A couple posters said he was All NBA talent, does that mean top 5? It looks like he was #13 in ppg, #20 in fg%, #29 in 3pt%, #32 in rpg, #6 in apg, #20 in steals, and #97 in blocks. Looks like only top 5 category is #3 in most turnovers per game. In the insane NBA where every marginal star gets a max contract, he probably deserves one as much others, but he’s not as important to the NBA or society as a whole as he thinks he is. If he wanted to thank the Lakers (and their fans) for drafting his shit son and putting on all these staged press conferences pretending Bronny has earned it on his own, or if he actually cared about winning, he might have taken a contract less than $54m/year. D2O said he earned it for all the money the Lakers have made the past few years…ok but the Lakers still have a salary cap and it’s a team sport where you need more than Brow and old man Bron and 4ppg in college Bronny. 

Yeah you're judging him against himself.   Against the rest of the current league he is minimum top 10.  Played in 71 gms and avg'd 26/7/8 last yr on a near career high 54% and an actual career high 41% from 3.   What other player putting up those type of numbers is being questioned whether they should get/take a max contract?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 12:37 PM, conVINCEd said:

You need 50 guys to field a football team with reasonable depth.  You only need 12 to play basketball.

On 7/3/2024 at 12:39 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Football also has tons more revenue and profit.

I believe the reported numbers have the NFL about double the NBA in total revenue.

I have to wonder that as the NFL is somewhat eliminating kickoffs, do you really need 53 active players? The players association wouldn’t be happy to lose players but if the owners left the salary cap the same, I imagine the current players would agree to it. but then again why would owners want individual players earning more. 

So what road does one take?

Accumulate picks, shed salary and miss playoffs(nets, jazz)

Fast forward any kind of realistic rebuild timeline by winning an alien lottery, accumulate picks, then use picks to get star(s) then be in cap trouble when it comes to paying star(s) (spurs)

Get the better, younger and cheaper player in deal, and 600 picks, but will have to pay current players on rookie deals in a few years and be in cap trouble(OKC) and still have 550 picks to pay

Acquire talent via trades and go for it, worry about rest later(wolves suns clippers)

Sign 3 organically grown players to max deals, 1 being once in a lifetime talent and not have a bench (denver)

Get lucky with 2 consecutive draft hits, make a few right deals and get lucky with any other star in your conference getting injured (Boston)
The new cap rules are really fucking tough. I'm not sure what the right answer is. You'll see first hand soon.