ABC season promo....1980

Posted (edited)

what did Burgess Meredith have going on with ABC in 1980?

and i am sure ABC wasn't too happy that the Fonz showed up looking like Serpico.

Edited by yoladu
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I need a version of the video with actor names and TV shows in the subtitles. I lived through that period and I only recognized maybe a 1 in 5 at most.

Ann Jillian was pure smoke. I cried when she got a double mastectomy.

I named every show except 1. WTF was this show?

image.png.6b027658002aebd87ea1aee628f109a0.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Best-looking in that ensemble was the luscious Donna whatsit who later married Fred Garvin, male prostitute.  Ah, yes, those were the days when TV networks had “seasons” and motor-driven vehicle manufacturers had “year models,” and Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles or Ara Parseghian or Bud Wilkinson called the college game of the week.  Watch one of those on YouTube; they were so simple and pure; no running play clock or game clock or score or hazard yellow “line to make,” nothing on the screen but the game and cheerleaders who had some actual jiggle going on.  USC sweater girls - thank you, Jesus!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Best-looking in that ensemble was the luscious Donna whatsit who later married Fred Garvin, male prostitute.  Ah, yes, those were the days when TV networks had “seasons” and motor-driven vehicle manufacturers had “year models,” and Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles or Ara Parseghian or Bud Wilkinson called the college game of the week.  Watch one of those on YouTube; they were so simple and pure; no running play clock or game clock or score or hazard yellow “line to make,” nothing on the screen but the game and cheerleaders who had some actual jiggle going on.  USC sweater girls - thank you, Jesus!

Preach! 

2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Wow. The kids who walk on your lawn this afternoon are definitely gonna get a talking-to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Ah, yes, those were the days when TV networks had “seasons” and motor-driven vehicle manufacturers had “year models,” and Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles or Ara Parseghian or Bud Wilkinson called the college game of the week.  

Sounds like you didn't tune in to a single episode of the Keith Jackson-pitched "Emily's Reasons Why Not."  Loser.

I remember an NBC one when I was about 9 when 'Cheers' was just getting big.  And they had on other big show names.  I remember thinking it was so cool.  Even had some pro athletes because NBC got the broadcast rights to the World Series and the Super Bowl. 

One of the streaming services would do well to throw us middle agers a bone and do one of these, kind of tongue-in-cheek.  Half the actors don't even know this was a thing for network TV for two decades.  Obviously there's no defined season kick-off in September for streaming shows like there was for network TV.  But you could get at least 1 actor from a dozen of your series or more to show up.  Just a 48-hour shoot, learning a dance routine and some schtick/parody each other's shows in sketch format.  Nobody under 35 would understand what the hell they were watching, but everybody above that age would totally get it and it would get so much buzz, more than just their spliced-together-teaser videos that all look the same across platforms.   Or do a 'Battle of Streaming Stars' and have the AppleTV+ actors compete against Hulu actors against Netflix actors against Paramount+ actors with some animated CGI from Disney and shit thrown in.  That would grab the attention of 40+ crowed in a massive way, since we're the demographic paying for the service that our younger family members then use to login for free. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I was pretty young in 1980 so don't know who the hell most of these people are except the Fantasy Island guy.

The only thing that I distinctly remember from TV in 1980 was this and I only remember the title because I remember the emphasis on 1980 during the commercials. I also remember hating it because it wasn't Star Wars.

MV5BMTk1ODI1Mzg0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODkx

5 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Pretty sure it's none other than Michael Richards (yes, Kramer) who was in the variety show Fridays

I don't think it is Michael Richards but I can't place his name or what show he was in.

2 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Pretty sure it's none other than Michael Richards (yes, Kramer) who was in the variety show Fridays

No. That's Exidor from Mork and Mindy.

Which begs the question of how Robin Williams missed that coke-fueled bender. Lauren Tewes was definitely down.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

No. That's Exidor from Mork and Mindy.

Which begs the question of how Robin Williams missed that coke-fueled bender. Lauren Tewes was definitely down.

looked him up. Robert Donner.  He was the preacher in high plains drifter too

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, F250 said:

I was pretty young in 1980 so don't know who the hell most of these people are except the Fantasy Island guy.

"the Fantasy Island guy"?  You show Montalban and his fine Corinthian leather some goddamn respect!  Mr. Roarke is a national treasure!  I have no idea what country that island belonged to, so I'm not so sure to which nation he is a treasure, but you don't just flippantly call him "the Fantasy Island Guy."  Bastard! 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

"the Fantasy Island guy"?  You show Montalban and his fine Corinthian leather some goddamn respect!  Mr. Roarke is a national treasure!  I have no idea what country that island belonged to, so I'm not so sure to which nation he is a treasure, but you don't just flippantly call him "the Fantasy Island Guy."  Bastard! 

this.  I notice no Herve Villachaize.  Damn midget discrimination.

Which reminds me, we need a Battle of the Streaming Stars show with Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV, maybe Max

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

My bad. I didn't remember his character's name but I am familiar with the actor as one of the few Mexican American actors from the old days.

That's right, Khan is a Mexican.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Which reminds me, we need a Battle of the Streaming Stars show with Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV, maybe Max

Pawn Stars, best I can do is MTVs The Challenge.

Posted (edited)

Much respect to Herve.  Miss you!  Also, Montalban is of obvious Mexican heritage.  But Kahn's last name is Singh, from southeast Asia.  

I mentioned in post #26, they should do a Battle of the Streaming Stars.  But I'd be willing to share my royalties with you.  You don't need everybody and shooting schedules overlap, but you could get a decent slate of actors from myriad platforms and they could do some goofy competition shit.  Again, nobody under 35 would understand what the fuck was going on, but it'd be a great homage to a 20yo tradition from a bygone era that folks our age would love.  I know some of the actors would feel it's beneath them, but enough would want to be in on the joke.  Will Ferrell could host.  It could be a fun way to encourage middle age folks to finally embrace streaming and cut the cord.  I dunno.  

My other idea is they should do more "crossover" episodes.  Remember when St. Elsewhere would go into Cheers, or Dallas would go into Knott's Landing?  I know, I know...compromising the artistic integrity of their singular show multi-verse.  But c'mon, somebody from "slow horses" having to go into the "severance" world to get advice on how to control agent's minds or some such shit.  Martin Short wandering into Gilead.  There's hundreds of possibilities.  How the fuck have they not done that yet?  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Much respect to Herve.  Miss you!  Also, Montalban is of obvious Mexican heritage.  But Kahn's last name is Singh, from southeast Asia.  

I mentioned in post #26, they should do a Battle of the Streaming Stars.  But I'd be willing to share my royalties with you.  You don't need everybody and shooting schedules overlap, but you could get a decent slate of actors from myriad platforms and they could do some goofy competition shit.  Again, nobody under 35 would understand what the fuck was going on, but it'd be a great homage to a 20yo tradition from a bygone era that folks our age would love.  I know some of the actors would feel it's beneath them, but enough would want to be in on the joke.  Will Ferrell could host.  It could be a fun way to encourage middle age folks to finally embrace streaming and cut the cord.  I dunno.  

My other idea is they should do more "crossover" episodes.  Remember when St. Elsewhere would go into Cheers, or Dallas would go into Knott's Landing?  I know, I know...compromising the artistic integrity of their singular show multi-verse.  But c'mon, somebody from "slow horses" having to go into the "severance" world to get advice on how to control agent's minds or some such shit.  Martin Short wandering into Gilead.  There's hundreds of possibilities.  How the fuck have they not done that yet?  

ha. missed your post completely.  I miss watching some actor trying to negotiate the blow up "canoe" race and getting completely turned around with about 500 people yelling at him.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I remember an NBC one when I was about 9 when 'Cheers' was just getting big.  And they had on other big show names.  I remember thinking it was so cool.  Even had some pro athletes because NBC got the broadcast rights to the World Series and the Super Bowl. 

One of the streaming services would do well to throw us middle agers a bone and do one of these, kind of tongue-in-cheek.  Half the actors don't even know this was a thing for network TV for two decades.  Obviously there's no defined season kick-off in September for streaming shows like there was for network TV.  But you could get at least 1 actor from a dozen of your series or more to show up.  Just a 48-hour shoot, learning a dance routine and some schtick/parody each other's shows in sketch format.  Nobody under 35 would understand what the hell they were watching, but everybody above that age would totally get it and it would get so much buzz, more than just their spliced-together-teaser videos that all look the same across platforms.   Or do a 'Battle of Streaming Stars' and have the AppleTV+ actors compete against Hulu actors against Netflix actors against Paramount+ actors with some animated CGI from Disney and shit thrown in.  That would grab the attention of 40+ crowed in a massive way, since we're the demographic paying for the service that our younger family members then use to login for free. 

Hire these guys to host.

image.thumb.png.a8b8b29386582d19d21463f7ce583eaf.png

18 minutes ago, Underdog said:

From a CHiPs episode... 

So much to process here, but:

1. Huggy Bear has mad skate game
2. Braless, perky roller skating Cindy Williams is making me rethink my previously held and utterly misguided opinion on her attractiveness.

Along those same lines per the first video, Mrs. C would get it.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Underdog said:

From a CHiPs episode... 

And here’s a little dance compendium of sorts, starting with Buck Rogers and including Victoria Principal at almost her peak hotness.  Some bonus Angie Dickinson and Robin Williams.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

I just went down the wormhole of the Battle of the Network Stars, specifically the dunk tank videos, which are beyond spectacular.

And then I got to this... and while initially being mesmerized by the hotness of Randi Oakes, Larry from Three's Company comes out of fucking nowhere throwing absolute gas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 4