Bonhoeffer: Pastor. Spy. Assassin. (Nov. 2024)

Posted (edited)

When a pacifist is called to a political act that could change the course of history, how will a man of honor respond? This is the true story of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a man who preached love while plotting the assassination of an evil tyrant. With world-shattering stakes, Bonhoeffer: Pastor. Spy. Assassin. begs the question, how far will you go to stand up for what’s right?

Glad to see him getting some recognition.  Amazing dude.

@Brisketexan

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

• atomheartbevo changed the title to Bonhoeffer: Pastor. Spy. Assassin. (Nov. 2024)
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, F250 said:

Angel Studios? Hopefully the movie stays true to the teachings and life of Bonhoeffer.

I hesitated to post it and thought it might be one of those “family values” channels that makes movies for six or seven figures, but fuck it, it might make it into theaters and I’d imagine that crowd would get pissed if they changed too much.

Plus Angel Studios got the distribution rights after it had finished filming.  John Mathieson Is the director of photography and he was the cinematographer on most of Ridley Scott’s films. The director produced Elf and wrote Sully which is not a bad little career. This sounds like a passion project of his.

I don’t like the “assassin” part of the title.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

i hope they don't use too much artistic license to dramatize his involvement in the assassination attempts.  it's debated whether he even knew about the attempts beforehand, much less being a prime planner.

Watching Nazi fucks die never gets old.

ETA

Bonhoeffer was a badass.  Dude was a leading opponent of the Nazi's and Nazified Lutheran church.

Two days after Hitler was installed as Chancellor, Bonhoeffer delivered a radio address in which he attacked Hitler and warned Germany against slipping into an idolatrous cult of the Führer (leader), who could very well turn out to be Verführer (misleader, seducer).

In July 1933, Hitler unconstitutionally imposed new church elections. Bonhoeffer put all his efforts into the election, campaigning for the selection of independent, non-Nazi officials who were dedicated to following Christ.

Bonhoeffer decided to return to Germany instead, where he was the head at an underground seminary in Finkenwalde for training Confessing Church pastors.

Bonhoeffer spent the next two years secretly traveling from one eastern German village to another to conduct a "seminary on the run" supervising the continuing education and work of his students, most of whom were working illegally in small parishes...

...Bonhoeffer left for the United States in June 1939 at the invitation of Union Theological Seminary in New York. After much inner turmoil, he soon regretted his decision and returned after only two weeks[43] despite strong pressures from his friends to stay in the United States. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Bonhoeffer

11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i hope they don't use too much artistic license to dramatize his involvement in the assassination attempts.  it's debated whether he even knew about the attempts beforehand, much less being a prime planner.

Yep. Bonhoeffer was a legit badass and his story should be told. But this movie is definitely not going to do that.

I'm not a Christian, but The Cost of Discipleship is an incredible book. If Christians today did their best to follow Bonhoeffer's example, the world would be a better place.

• Hook 'Em 2