The WAY too early June Presidential Debate thread

Biff Tannen

This shit show happens on Thursday at 8pm central on CNN.  I honestly don't see any upside to it for Biden, unless dotard literally shits on the podium.  Even then, the GQP would just contort themselves into a logic pretzel to find a way to blame it on Biden.  I don't anticipate watching for more than 5-10 minutes.  But figured we might as well have a thread on it because reasons.

I saw a guy interviewed on a late night show last week who was a speechwriter for Obama and who coached Obama for the 2012 debates.  He said it's difficult for an incumbent POTUS to "win" a debate because it's easy to put the incumbent on the defensive about his record in office, etc.  Obviously, Trump will be out of control and trying to push buttons.  I'll watch.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw a guy interviewed on a late night show last week who was a speechwriter for Obama and who coached Obama for the 2012 debates.  He said it's difficult for an incumbent POTUS to "win" a debate because it's easy to put the incumbent on the defensive about his record in office, etc.  Obviously, Trump will be out of control and trying to push buttons.  I'll watch.

In a traditional debate, yes, the incumbent is on the defense. But this is unique because both of them have a 4 year term to defend. And Trump’s was pretty bad for everyone but the richest, whitest and most religious. And it hasn’t been all sunshine and roses for him since November 2020 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Probably one of the guys from PSA because that’s the exactly what they said on a podcast a few weeks ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn. Would love to head to a few local bars to watch but instead I’ll be in phoenix visiting the GF’s Maga family. They’re normal enough where they can chill without talking politics but can’t see any good coming out of remembering the debate will be on that night. I’m still wearing my Fuck Trump pin 24-7 but do partially hide it while in their house. 

thankfully i'll be on vacation in Mexico on Thursday night so i won't be tempted to watch this shitshow.  i'll be with my in-laws, who are Fox News watching, Trump voting Republicans.  they're not full blown MAGA, at least not in front of us.  my wife doesn't allow them to talk politics when we're together, but i don't get the sense they're MAGA nutjobs.  FIL is a doctor so at least he was on board with the vaccines.

so none of us will see this thing live.  but i'm sure i'll hear the in-laws giving the Fox News talking points about the debate the next morning.  they won't say it in front of us, but i'll be able to hear them talking about it.  so i'll know what the right thinks about the debate (assuming it happens, which i still think is a 50/50 proposition).

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

i'll be with my in-laws, who are Fox News watching, Trump voting Republicans.  they're not full blown MAGA, at least not in front of us.  my wife doesn't allow them to talk politics when we're together, but i don't get the sense they're MAGA nutjobs.  FIL is a doctor so at least he was on board with the vaccines.

Brother?

Damn, didn't realize it was this early. I figured don would have backed out by now if its this week. I don't think I can watch, seeing that fat fucking moron ramble knowing that half the fucking country thinks he's great sinks me into a depression spiral. I'll seek out clips after the fact in hopes they are of Biden shutting his shit down. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Brother?

You too?  this will be the first election cycle since we got married.  we were dating in 2020 but with COVID and all, we didn't see her folks that much.  but now with a baby, we see them a lot.  and baby #2 is due in September, so we'll see them a helluva lot this fall around election time.  ugh. 

Spider_Man_meme.jpg

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

In a traditional debate, yes, the incumbent is on the defense. But this is unique because both of them have a 4 year term to defend. And Trump’s was pretty bad for everyone but the richest, whitest and most religious. And it hasn’t been all sunshine and roses for him since November 2020 

I saw Nicole Wallace either Thursday or Friday of last week just rattle off six or seven things that by themselves should resonate with most rational people.  The target audience is probably less than 100,000 people in three states.

Trump has given Biden enough material to work with over the past 8 years so it should be a slam dunk.  

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I saw Nicole Wallace either Thursday or Friday of last week just rattle off six or seven things that by themselves should resonate with most rational people.  The target audience is probably less than 100,000 people in three states.

Trump has given Biden enough material to work with over the past 8 years so it should be a slam dunk.  

That material has been playing nonstop through multiple mediums and half the country still says they're going to vote for him. These people cannot be swayed. They are more than happy to see democracy die in exchange for lib tears. We truly are a country of deplorables.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

You too?  this will be the first election cycle since we got married.  we were dating in 2020 but with COVID and all, we didn't see her folks that much.  but now with a baby, we see them a lot.  and baby #2 is due in September, so we'll see them a helluva lot this fall around election time.  ugh. 

Spider_Man_meme.jpg

This is me, except it's my own parents. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bullneck said:

We saw that too and I was trying to time stamp a YT video of it and post it but my phone wouldn’t allow.  This was the Biden “ownage” where she said Biden should own up to his age but then rattled off things Biden wouldn’t do to embarrass the Oval Office? 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you're Team Biden, and responsible for the prep, what is your goal here? 

I don't think there is really anything he can do to win over the morons who are undecided at this point. Don't look old? Don't fall down? Something like that would be game over, unfortunately, no matter what Trump does.

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't think there is really anything he can do to win over the morons who are undecided at this point. Don't look old? Don't fall down? Something like that would be game over, unfortunately, no matter what Trump does.

attack Trump. Make him look and feel stupid and helpless. Make him lie so badly that the networks have no choice but to say it's a lie. Make him squirm and flail. 

Tump's team has the much harder task. They have to tell him to not say anything fucking insane and he just can't help himself. 

• Hook 'Em 8

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

attack Trump. Make him look and feel stupid and helpless. Make him lie so badly that the networks have no choice but to say it's a lie. Make him squirm and flail. 

Tump's team has the much harder task. They have to tell him to not say anything fucking insane and he just can't help himself. 

Not to go full Brisket, but how would that make a difference? All he does is lie. Since 2015. And all he does is say insane things. The people that don't care, don't care.

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Not to go full Brisket, but how would that make a difference? All he does is lie. Since 2015. And all he does is say insane things. The people that don't care, don't care.

This is correct, but some people have incredibly short memories, voted for Biden in 2020, and somehow identify as undecided.  I wouldn't call them the brightest.  But I'm told they're out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Exceed expectations. Like he always does. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

This will be a laugher. All Biden has to do is remind everyone dotard was found guilty on 34 felonies by a unanimous NY jury and it's all over. End of debate.

He could also remind them how many millions of dollars Trump was fined for defaming the woman he sexually assaulted. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I know. He IS old. He's 81 but looks and acts 90. A trip and a fall and that's probably game over.

It's his biggest weakness.  I truly think his brain is still firing on all cylinders, but his body just looks and sounds so goddamn old all the time.

Meanwhile, Trump has mashed potatoes in his skull but still has the energy of a much younger man... hence the fucked up perception of the candidates.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think he shows up, but there's a 50%+ chance he quits and storms off mid-debate.

I'm in the same camp at this point.  Bully gets punched in the mouth a couple of times and leaves to whine about how unfair it is, then his team spins it to his base about how he was being strong and standing up for himself.  The reality is, he's a giant pussy.  Ever been in a fight with a bully?  That's how it goes all the bravado goes out the window the second they take a shot, and generally they can't cope.  In the interim, he'll roll out his greatest hits of grievance that no one will give a shit about, that's about it.  

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

mitch-mcconnell-freezing.jpg?w=1600&h=16

21 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Well the trial run today is the “if CNN doesn’t apologize to the turnp spokesperson he should cancel the debate”

Looks like they are seeing if the bit that bitch did with Kacie this morning will work in getting him to not debate.

I missed that.  What was it?

Edited by Bullneck