The WAY too early June Presidential Debate thread

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Didn’t watch it. Read some of y’all’s comments. I never had any hope. Now I have even less of something I never had.
Glad my kids live overseas. Need them to find a way to make it permanent although truly, there’s no refuge. We seem intent on setting the whole world on fire again. 1914 and 1939 weren’t enough…this time, it will surely work. I sure know I don’t want my son coming back here; he’s prime fighting age, and this place clearly ain’t worth him dying for.
I really can’t or shouldn’t care anymore. I should just make as much money as I can, buy myself and my family as much of a safe harbor as I can, and let the world do what it is clearly dedicated to doing. Odds are that the flames will still find a way to consume us, but we’ll give it a shot.

No one is willing to die for Ukraine, Israel or Taiwan. The MAGA base will not sacrifice their sons for those wars.

• Fuck You 3

11 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

exactly right. should have let Joe just swing

I’m so fucking tired of one side playing traditional campaign game - the media pretending like this is just an election - and a fucking strong man authoritarian candidate lying and fear mongering and then when the lights aren’t on promising things that are horrible and vindictive. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Well that was utterly depressing. I need a palate cleanse. Time to go watch The Bear. Maybe after I'll watch Sophie's Choice and the ending of Old Yeller over and over. 

Not sure the new season of The Bear is gonna make you feel better. If anything, it seems like an extension of this debate… lots of sound and fury leading to nothing but frustration.

6 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Joe doing the old rope a dope. Not showing his hand and letting Trump get all confident. Obama was horrible in his first debate against Romney and then blew him out of the water the next one. 

This is some grade A cognitive dissonance. You have any to spare? I could use some to get some sleep tonight.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The people who work for the Executive Branch, just like always.

Well the last admin left the exec gutted with vacancies everywhere - it was kinda careening of the cliff to be honest.  Easily a top 5 problem with a Trump admin. 

1 minute ago, Brandywine said:

CNN should have done a better job monitoring and holding Trump accountable with his lies. They’re pathetic as a network. Same thing happened when Kaitlyn Collins let Trump destroy her. 

It doesn't matter.   Even most Trump voters probably concede he lies.  This was all about optics and the optics were fucking terrible for Biden.   American voters aren't going to sit and read all the fucking fact check dissertations that come out tonight and tomorrow.  They are going to watch fucking twitter and tik tok videos of the current president looking like he should be in a nursing home.  The Democrats have completely fucked this up.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They should have thought about that in 2020.

You can be sure they did, but the calculus in 2020 was like 2024’s: whoever can beat Trump. It’s fair to fault the Dems for not developing another viable candidate. I can’t exactly disagree with the calculus though. It’s a triage situation. This country’s well being has perhaps never been more dependent on which old white guy keels over first.

• Hook 'Em 1

I really wanted to watch this and have it recorded. Now that I've read the thread I think I'm just gonna pass on watching. I am actually most concerned about this because of how weak America has become. These two fucking idiots are the best we can come up with? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, Degenerate Gardner said:

You can be sure they did, but the calculus in 2020 was like 2024’s: whoever can beat Trump. It’s fair to fault the Dems for not developing another viable candidate. I can’t exactly disagree with the calculus though. It’s a triage situation. This country’s well being has perhaps never been more dependent on which old white guy keels over first.

There are plenty of Democrats who could have beaten Trump. Unfortunately, they didn't have as many powerful allies in the Democratic Party as Joe Biden.

• Rage+1 1

There’s no way this could happen given the egos involved, but the correct move would be to replace him with someone that Fox hasn’t already spent years bashing. Sorry Kamala, Gavin, Pete, and Gretchen. They need someone comparatively unknown who can come in, deliver a few convincing speeches, dominate a debate, and doesn’t have a huge oppo file in the RNC archives.

Someone like Wes Moore could probably pull it off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You people are pathetic, this election was decided in 2020 when Biden was senile back then as well, nobody is going to go Hmn I am going to let lunatic trump back in office when I voted against him in 2020.

If the system gave RFK jr a chance then yeah worry, but everyone knows a vote for him is a vote for Donald.

That is why losers bow out, they don't get blown out eliminate Roe v Wade and beat the same guy 4 years later.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

CNN wants Trump back so bad they clearly miss that sweet 2016-2021 engagement 

I mean they had people on who absolutely love Biden….  They just couldn’t ignore what they saw and truthfully if he’s replaced anyone else has a better chance of winning vs Trump…

Just now, immamac said:

I really wanted to watch this and have it recorded. Now that I've read the thread I think I'm just gonna pass on watching. I am actually most concerned about this because of how weak America has become. These two fucking idiots are the best we can come up with? 

In a country in which two parties have a stranglehold on politics, yes.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Biden is not an idiot.  He's saved the country once.  Can he do it twice?  Not sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

The insipid liar vs the cognitively impaired. What a day to be alive as an American! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

competency isn’t why people are bypassing Kamala

While that is correct, she was not the person to break through that barrier.

Jackie Robinson was a brilliant choice to break the baseball color barrier because, among other things, he was an all-timer.

Kamala struggled in the early primary debates, and this is coming from someone who thought she might just be the candidate in Dec 2019/Jan 2020.

The first black woman to be a presidential nominee of a major party will have to be a great candidate, not just one good enough to win a nomination were she a white male. Not a Dukakis or a Mondale or a Dole or a Biden or a GWB. Obama won because he was political Jackie Robinson. Kamala wasn't that. I guess she might grow and be that if she tries again, but in 2020, no.

All that said only reinforces your point. Her candidacy was short-lived because she's a black woman.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

My wife walked off, I can’t help but watch. My self preservation requires me to know how bad things are. This was so bad. We need Biden to step aside and Gavin needs to be the nominee. I prefer pete I think Gavin is more likely to win.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

On CBS they commented that Trump made numerous lies and exaggerations and Biden failed to fact check him. Trump lies faster than you can fact check him. That’s the authoritarian strategy. (Putin does it too.) Maybe the moderators should play a role in fact checking.

This debate would have been a lot more interesting if electrical shocks were administered for every lie made on stage.  Missed opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I think its more that politics have gotten so distasteful that the people who are worthy of office want nothing to do with it.  They somewhat rightfully surmise that they would be able to effect more positive change in some other line of work than politician.  The politician roles are handed to the worst of us.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, softlynow said:

While that is correct, she was not the person to break through that barrier.

Jackie Robinson was a brilliant choice to break the baseball color barrier because, among other things, he was an all-timer.

Kamala struggled in the early primary debates, and this is coming from someone who thought she might just be the candidate in Dec 2019/Jan 2020.

The first black woman to be a presidential nominee of a major party will have to be a great candidate, not just one good enough to win a nomination were she a white male. Not a Dukakis or a Mondale or a Dole or a Biden or a GWB. Obama won because he was political Jackie Robinson. Kamala wasn't that. I guess she might grow and be that if she tries again, but in 2020, no.

All that said only reinforces your point. Her candidacy was short-lived because she's a black woman.

And I don’t disagree with any of this.

Just now, troph said:

My wife walked off, I can’t help but watch. My self preservation requires me to know how bad things are. This was so bad. We need Biden to step aside and Gavin needs to be the nominee. I prefer pete I think Gavin is more likely to win.

Again, who is going to convince him to do this? Who has that power over the leader of the free world.