The WAY too early June Presidential Debate thread

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There’s no way this could happen given the egos involved, but the correct move would be to replace him with someone that Fox hasn’t already spent years bashing. Sorry Kamala, Gavin, Pete, and Gretchen. They need someone comparatively unknown who can come in, deliver a few convincing speeches, dominate a debate, and doesn’t have a huge oppo file in the RNC archives.

Someone like Wes Moore could probably pull it off.

The same egos that spent the last several months gaslighting the American public about Biden’s health have to suddenly do a 180 on their strategy. It’s not going to be easy but necessary if they don’t want to see Trump win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cabowabo said:

And the Dems were the ones that set up this debate. Actually, I think it was sabotage. 

This pre-convention debate really seemed odd to me. If this really was the Dems doing, I'm now curious as to whether it was meant to give Joe a chance to stand aside for a new nominee at the convention, should he not be up to the task.

I said on here probably 18 months ago running Biden again was a risk and as a minimum they should have come up with some kind of strategy to pivot from Kamala as VP (as she is just not popular).  If they would have done that, they would have someone to actually pivot to now that the plane has effectively crashed into the mountain.  They have completely fucked this up in every way possible.  Defeating Trump after 1/6 + felony conviction should have been a slam dunk and they have fucked this up so bad Trump will win easily.  Good job good effort morons.   

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

Again, who is going to convince him to do this? Who has that power over the leader of the free world.

The nomination process actually. He has no current guarantee he’s running again.

Gavin is crushing it right now.

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

The same egos that spent the last several months gaslighting the American public about Biden’s health have to suddenly do a 180 on their strategy. It’s not going to be easy but necessary if they don’t want to see Trump win. 

They have nothing on Pete but the gay thing and hammering that will blow up in their faces.

Newsom is a slimy politician. Polished, but also republicans love to hate California 

Just now, Skipper said:

I said on here probably 18 months ago running Biden again was a risk and as a minimum they should have come up with some kind of strategy to pivot from Kamala as VP (as she is just not popular).  If they would have done that, they would have someone to actually pivot to now that the plane has effectively crashed into the mountain.  They have completely fucked this up in every way possible.  Defeating Trump after 1/6 + felony conviction should have been a slam dunk and they have fucked this up so bad Trump will win easily.  Good job good effort morons.   

How would that have happened? Primary the incumbent? Ask him nicely not to run? Beg? How do you convince the President of the United States, the most powerful man on earth, not to run for re-election?

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There’s no way this could happen given the egos involved, but the correct move would be to replace him with someone that Fox hasn’t already spent years bashing. Sorry Kamala, Gavin, Pete, and Gretchen. They need someone comparatively unknown who can come in, deliver a few convincing speeches, dominate a debate, and doesn’t have a huge oppo file in the RNC archives.

Dude, you are brilliant.  But not Wes Moore, the dems can get Kinky Friedman to step in and...

image.gif.18ca022f3041ff32ca6eae00a8c75fdb.gif

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

How would that have happened? Primary the incumbent? Ask him nicely not to run? Beg? How do you convince the President of the United States, the most powerful man on earth, not to run for re-election?

Well, if any of them care about our democracy, they should be trying to figure out how to do that right fucking now.  After tonight it's church unless Trump eats too many big macs and kills over.

Just now, cmontexas said:

They have nothing on Pete but the gay thing and hammering that will blow up in their faces.

Newsom is a slimy politician. Polished, but also republicans love to hate California 

Newsom is a great debater and very polished. His issue is the perception that he ran California into the ground. The polling on that is pretty clear. I agree with whomever said it needs to be someone that doesn’t have a long history on the national stage already. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

The nomination process actually. He has no current guarantee he’s running again.

Gavin is crushing it right now.

Delegates elected to the national convention pledged to a presidential candidate shall in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them.[12]”

—Rule 13(J), 2020 Delegate Selection Rules

I think he would have to say, "I'm out" and release the pledged delegates.

• Like 1

Its dumb there is no clear cut nominee after biden either so it would be a civil war.

At the end of the day the only solution is to just hope Donny thinks he won and Biden challenges him to more debates that never take place, everybody knew Biden he was going to stutter and lose his train of thought, but  how could anyone really change their mind and vote for Donny? haha

Crazy outsiders only work if they are a blank slate everyone knows what a Trump term would look

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

I mean look I’m all in on Pete but the gay thing won’t back fire. Trust me. It’s like the anti Hillary vote with these people. The hate won’t bring out the vote for Pete like it will for Trump. 

5 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

He's slimy?  Other than banging Don, Jr. woman what's slimy about him?

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Newsom is a great debater and very polished. His issue is the perception that he ran California into the ground. The polling on that is pretty clear. I agree with whomever said it needs to be someone that doesn’t have a long history on the national stage already. 

California is in many respects the American dream epitomized. Newsome would do fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Joe doing the old rope a dope. Not showing his hand and letting Trump get all confident. Obama was horrible in his first debate against Romney and then blew him out of the water the next one. 

What next debate? Trump would have to agree to one and why would he?  He can just let Joe twist in the wind now.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Give me Gov Shapiro.

52d2fb771ea7d588ee7cdbc9db73c549.jpg

That was his bookshelf the day after the election on CNN saying that PA was already a foregone conclusion and it was just a matter of adding up the votes.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Democrats have won every election since 2020 (save the VA governor's race) and significantly overperformed over Roe v Wade only something increadibly stupid like a democrat civil war, or economic collapse can lead to a Trump presidency.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Delegates elected to the national convention pledged to a presidential candidate shall in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them.[12]”

—Rule 13(J), 2020 Delegate Selection Rules

I think he would have to say, "I'm out" and release the pledged delegates.

I agree that’s the best way but it would take no more than two lawyers here to find a way around that “rule”.

10 minutes ago, softlynow said:

This pre-convention debate really seemed odd to me. If this really was the Dems doing, I'm now curious as to whether it was meant to give Joe a chance to stand aside for a new nominee at the convention, should he not be up to the task.

Joe would have to emulate LBJ and step down voluntarily. And if he was going to do that, he should have done that last year.

Ah well. I live in Texas, I am used to politics being extremely demoralizing.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

California is in many respects the American dream epitomized. Newsome would do fine. 

That may be but the perception is California is not a well managed state by those outside of the state. I am not going to pretend to be confident knowing what the exact course should be in something that has never happened in my lifetime at least. If Biden has to step aside after the Democrat party chose to run him through the primary process, I cannot imagine people being very high on the Democrats. It’s damage control at best and I don’t know what the right next candidate should look like. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Maybe.

I think that guarantees a loss in November, but I'll vote for the nominee no matter who it is.

I think Gavin riding with a dramatic convention nomination, a few days after Biden addresses the nation LBJ-style, would be great TV/Social Media, would run his candidate ID up to where it needs to be, and would give all the folks bitching about having two old people to select from a real choice.

The right's greatest advantage against a Dem presidential nominee is the slow-drip-drip of turning people against them on their media outlets, in chain emails, and at the watercooler. It's what made Clinton, Bill a great candidate. "Who? Well, I gues I can vote for him." But then made Clinton, Hillary a terrible candidate. "Yeah, Billary. Man is that pants-suit lesbian actually be president. No way!"

Dems with little record of being slurred by right-wing media, and the often complicit mainstream media, fare MUCH better than the old hand.

Biden won because Trump fucked up COVID. Period. We probably could have, in retrospect, nominated a number of other folks and pulled out that win. Of course, who eles could've made it through the Dem nominating process is a totally different discussion.