The WAY too early June Presidential Debate thread

For the record comming in 2016 the only thing I was sure of is Hillary winning the popular vote which she won, I have been silently confident of Trump losing ever since, he has lost so much because everybody knows who he is. Panicking right now is handing him the election if there is a democrat civil war.

6 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Was there anything that would cause sometime to change their vote?

Change?  Probably not.

Biden would most assuredly get more votes.  But we don't have a pure democracy, so this election will come down to probably less that 50k votes total over 3-4 states.

The worry is that casual voters won't show up at the polls, and the Dems have far more casual voters than Trump.

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I don’t think there is a person on this board that thinks this. A lot of think Trump is a felon and a piece of shit but he has always had a decent chance to be elected in November. 

Ehhh…there’s a few guys in here who’ve repeatedly said (dozens to hundreds of times) he has no chance. I’ve been yelling at them to stop being stupid for nearly four years but somehow that hasn’t worked.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, cmontexas said:

People still remember Kennedy destroying Nixon in 1960. This was worse than that

No it wasn’t. Jesus Christ. Have you watched that debate before?

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Most of this board has been way too optimistic about Biden's chances effectively giving Trump no chance. I've thought for a long time it's 50/50.  After tonight, I don't think it's even close.   The American electorate is not going to dive into the fucking issues.  They are going to watch the worst of the worst clips of Biden looking like he should be put in a nursing home (of which there are many).  He is essentially unelectable at this point.  Full stop.  The only thing I'm surprised is that apparently most of the talking heads actually realize this and not shying away.   Tonight was a flat out disaster for Democrats.  No way around it.

The reasons for optimism are based on the outcomes of actual elections. Dems have over performed for like 5 straight years across the entire country. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Mdhorn said:

Inflation is an easy statement--did you think the last president's 9 trillion hit helped inflation?  Biden can point to his jobs and economic growth as what he's done and would continue.  It's not a difficult question.  

The people in this country are too stupid to understand what you said.  They look at inflation simply through the lens of my eggs are more expensive now than they were 4 years ago and it’s all the current presidents fault. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

I get all of that. It’s not me you have to convince. This all comes down to a handful of states and the polling is pretty clear in the Midwest that people think California has been poorly run. 

Forest fires and mudslides hurt what was the 5th best economy in the world.  If there's a solution to those, other than raking the state, then everybody needs to hear it. Because it could very easily happen to their state as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The one good thing about the voting public’s short memory is that this will be forgotten in a couple of weeks. 

This is just wrong.   Biden's age/competence is THE ISSUE in this election. If Biden was 20 years younger he wins this in a landslide.  He's not.  He's old AF.  This reinforced (beyond anything the R's could have ever hoped for) their position that he is unfit for office.  Full stop.  I don't think he can recover from it.  The worst clips from tonight will be played over and over and over again the next 4+ months.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If I’m Newsom and I really think I have a chance one day of being president, I wouldn’t want this time to be my shot at it. Whoever gets the nomination is going to be at a significant disadvantage now. 

That's how a stupid person looks at it.  

A person who cares about saving the country from fascism says, "Hey, Newy25 considers the self-interested aspect but I'm more concerned about 200+ years of democracy."  

Do you understand now?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 4

Just now, DixonHur said:

Change?  Probably not.

Biden would most assuredly get more votes.  But we don't have a pure democracy, so this election will come down to probably less that 50k votes total over 3-4 states.

The worry is that casual voters won't show up at the polls, and the Dems have far more casual voters than Trump.

Getting 30k accross 4 different states is a gargantuan task, then you have so many seniors dead and Gen Z voters, and the silent vote over Roe v Wade.

You people are panicking over nothing, that said it is better if Biden demands debate and does not get it, he can laugh off a slow start, he did not do shit to lose it. Nixon vs Kenedy 1960 is such a hillariously dumb comparison.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

Forest fires and mudslides hurt what was the 5th best economy in the world.  If there's a solution to those, other than raking the state, then everybody needs to hear it. Because it could very easily happen to their state as well.  

When I want to get a reasonable take on California, the Midwest is where I look

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Inflation is an easy statement--did you think the last president's 9 trillion hit helped inflation?  Biden can point to his jobs and economic growth as what he's done and would continue.  It's not a difficult question.  

Americans are stupid.  They are too stupid to understand reasons for it.  They just understand everything costs more and Biden is president.  That's it.  Full stop.   This board that debates issues and world events does not represent the voting public.  They are morons.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Read the orientation material we recieved when crossing the aisle. Dems take that more seriously than they should, while Pubs ...

NFzHwn.gif

There was a fairly vocal push in 2016 to deny Trump the nomination at the convention. I believe it would have required a vote for new bylaws. I would imagine the DNC has similar mechanism by which it could happen

Edited by Sawbonz
*vote

Just now, immamac said:

COULD YOU FUCKING IMAGINE IF BIDEN WOULD HAVE SLAYED HIM TONIGHT. 

the election could have been over. Easily decided. The transcript for trump is fucking mental. 

Do you people even listen to yourselves? If Biden had crushed Trump he might’ve picked up 1-4% in polls. Jesus, it’s like y’all have never seen a presidential election in modern America before.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

No it wasn’t. Jesus Christ. Have you watched that debate before?

Many years ago back in school. My memory is that it was a pretty tame debate Nixon just looked nervous and JFK was super handsome so that's all anyone remembers. The perception was that JFK owned just like the perception tonight 

2 minutes ago, linux said:

Getting 30k accross 4 different states is a gargantuan task, then you have so many seniors dead and Gen Z voters, and the silent vote over Roe v Wade.

You people are panicking over nothing, that said it is better if Biden demands debate and does not get it, he can laugh off a slow start, he did not do shit to lose it. Nixon vs Kenedy 1960 is such a hillariously dumb comparison.

It’s not nothing. He looked bad. And sounded like they botoxed his vocal cords

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

A person who cares about saving the country from fascism says, "Hey, Newy25 considers the self-interested aspect but I'm more concerned about 200+ years of democracy."  

Do you understand now?

Thanks for the Fuck You neg, Incredulity. 

I assume (but you know what they say about that) that you are just retaliating for my drunken neg-fest, and not that you hate our democracy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, linux said:

Have you not been paying attention to how the youth have been voting in Europe?  What makes you so confident the same won't happen here?

49 minutes ago, Covri said:

Time to call up a dark horse candidate for the dems, Brandon O’Brian…

You_Doodle_2024-06-28T03_01_25Z.thumb.jpeg.540c95df72e25c144a044d7fa66675e6.jpeg

Here’s the start of his introductory speech:

All right, stop whatcha doin' 'cause I'm about to ruin. The image and the style that ya used to
I look funny, but, yo, I'm makin' money, see
So, yo, world I hope you're ready for me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This election is going to be decided by North Carolina population change, Phoenix suburbs movement , Atlanta enthusiasm, Wisconsin and Michigan paychecks and Philly turnout.

Nobody will have the courage to repost this.

-Your Aunt

— on Facebook

and Las Vegas wait staff

-pissed of Js1 who I couldn’t tag

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

Thanks for the Fuck You neg, Incredulity. 

I assume (but you know what they say about that) that you are just retaliating for my drunken neg-fest, and not that you hate our democracy. 

You too, Poester.  Enjoy your time here while it lasts.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Do you understand now?

You think enough folks in Pennsylvania Wisconsin Arizona and Nevada are thinking that? Worry about people staying home is valid. I didn’t think that until tonight

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, linux said:

Its worse than that it has a huge tent with the equivalent of 5 or so equivalent international parties.

No it isn't.

The Democratic Party in the fifth party system ('32-'80) was big enough to hold just about every point of view, other than isolationism and communism. Racist and non-racist. Tax and spend and austerity. Open the borders, close 'em tight. Unto the breach . . . War, huh, what is it good for?

There is certainly a centrist/progressive divide on a lot. But in general, those factions are way closer to each other than the extremes in the DNC were in, say, 1972.

Hell, Biden got everyone on board before the Super Tuesday vote last time around.

Just now, DixonHur said:

Have you not been paying attention to how the youth have been voting in Europe?  What makes you so confident the same won't happen here?

Because of exit polls? admitedly I don't follow european exit polls, but now the ones here and the youth vote overwhelmingly pick Biden. If anything that is the leading theory why democrats keep winning since 2020. gen Z is not being found to be polled correctly.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

COULD YOU FUCKING IMAGINE IF BIDEN WOULD HAVE SLAYED HIM TONIGHT. 

the election could have been over. Easily decided. The transcript for trump is fucking mental. 

Trump hasn't needed logic since day one.  Why would he need it now?  Immigrants with calves the size of softballs, streaming over the border brings drugs and crime, blah, blah, while telling Republicans to vote against border deals.  Ethics?  Trump has none but has several pending cases, where he can't represent himself because his constant lying is a liability to his own cause.  Yes, it's insane that Joe is running, but he's running against a felon.

The way I see it--Joe hires the right people to run his cabinet and governmental agencies/programs, and makes a good VP hire--boom, he can keel over.  A dead body is far safer for the country than a vengeful, criming Trump.   

• Like 2

The point Rubio just made is the point the R's should be making to target the independent/undecided vote.  He basically said he takes no happiness from it but it was clear that the President struggled tonight and it concerns him what they might think about that in Beijing and Tehran.   Sadly he's right.  I'll still vote for Biden purely because of the threat to democracy that Trump poses but Biden has absolutely no business being president 4 more years.  If pretty much any R candidate other than Trump was running I would be strongly considering flipping that vote

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Joe Biden has been stuttering and losing his train of thought for years and years and years, he does it again and honchos panic? that said if the demographic was more like Russia Trump could have taken a shit and masturbated in front of the cameras and still won the election.

People have made their minds, do they want Trump or not, that is it and that will never change, Biden could die tomorrow and the ticket would still win the presidency based on a mountain of evidence.

Fun fact it has happened like 4 times nationally and the deceased won every time.

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

There was a fairly vocal push in 2016 to deny Trump the nomination at the convention. I believe it would have required a vote for new bylaws. I would imagine the DNC has similar mechanism by which it could happen

A vocal push because some were scared of an "unconventional" candidate, sure. But that candidate had enormous support, and did not uniformly scare the power brokers in the party that his candidacy was a threat to democracy.

Trump's second term is existential in nature. If the partys were flipped, it was a Dem nominee who was openly campaigning to end the Republic, and a Biden-type was the GOPs guy headed into the convention. I would put money on an event like tonight scuttling that nomination. I can't do that for the Dems.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Jon Stewart, CNN Panelists React to Trump-Biden Debate: “This Cannot Be Real Life”

'The Daily Show' host gives his take on the first Joe Biden vs. Donald Trump presidential debate of 2024, while CNN panelists give a blistering response.

BY JAMES HIBBERD

Plus Icon

•  
  •  
  •  

JUNE 27, 2024 8:49PM
Jon Stewart Daily Show
Jon Stewart at the 'Daily Show' desk MATT WILSON

Jon Stewart and CNN panelists reacted to a very dramatic debate between Joe Biden and Donald Trump on Thursday night.

Stewart roasted the performances of both candidates, and seemed massively frustrated with the electoral choice America has apparently been presented with. Stewart seemed particularly concerned by Biden’s performance, with the president seeming pale, fragile and shaky on stage during CNN’s 90-minute debate.

“The one thing that we did prove tonight is that MAGA conspiracy theory about Biden’s upcoming debate performance was nonsense,” Stewart said, and rolled clips of conservatives claiming Biden would use performance-enhancing drugs to be charged-up during the debate. “Let me just say after watching tonight’s debate, both of these men should be using performance enhancing drugs. As much of it as they can get, as many times a day, as their bodies will allow. Performance enhancing drugs that will improve their lucidity, their ability to solve problems, and in one of the candidate’s case, improve their truthfulness, morality, and malignant narcissism. Whatever magical drugs that can kick their brains into gear, because this ain’t Olympic swimming. Oh, he solves the Middle East, but he was doping, so it doesn’t count? And if those drugs don’t exist, if there aren’t actual performance enhancing drugs for these candidates, I could sure fucking use some recreational ones right now. Because this cannot be real life! It just can’t! Fuck! We’re America!”

But perhaps the most impactful moment wasn’t anything Stewart said. The host played a clip of Biden seemingly blanking out about 10 minutes into the debate, and Stewart’s audience went quiet and gave some pained moans.

“Call the real estate agent in New Zealand,” Stewart quipped. “Sure, it’s not something that repeated throughout the debate causing Democrats across the country to either jump out of windows or vomit silently into the nearest recycling bin. Anybody can fuck up … talking. A lot of people have resting 25th Amendment face.”

Stewart also ripped Trump for saying a great many things that were blatantly false. “Everything that Donald Trump said in that clip is a lie,” Stewart said at one point. “Blatant and full. And we were tight on time putting this thing together. There’s plenty more.”

CNN’s panel after the debate was blistering about Biden’s performance, with CNN anchor John King noting, “This was a game-changing debate. Right now, as we speak, there is a deep, a wide, and a very aggressive panic in the Democratic Party. It involves party strategists, involves elected officials. It involves fundraisers, and they’re having conversations about the President’s performance, which they think was dismal which they think will hurt other people down the party in the ticket and they’re having conversations about what they should do about it.”

A very grave Van Jones added: “I love Joe Biden. I worked for Joe Biden. He didn’t do well. It looked like the old man versus the con man … I just want to speak from my heart. I love that guy. He’s a good man. He loves this country. He’s doing the best he can. But he had a chance to restore confidence of the country and of the base and he failed to do that. And I think there’s a lot of people who are going to want to see him consider taking a different course now. We’re still far from our convention. And there is time for this party to figure out a different way for people to do that.”

Former White House communications director Alyssa Farah Griffin said: “I believe Biden lost in the first three minutes. I think a lot of voters probably tuned out and millions of people are having conversations with their families and with their friends if the President is up to the task, and if he should step aside. I’m someone who believes the former president is a threat to democracy. I think he is a threat to the America and we know he wants to fundamentally change our institutions. He has laid out what his plan is. I am not confident that [Biden is] the man to take him on. He cannot tell me democracy is on the line and then give that performance. That was painful.”