The WAY too early June Presidential Debate thread

Think it was Chris Hayes who said last night, "Being president and running for president are two entirely different jobs. Running for president requires an ability to communicate that Biden just can't do now." 

So many times last night Trump would offer up some softball, that Biden should have hammered back at him with 1/6 or impeachments or fraud or whatever, but... nope. Just absolute layups against the worst candidate in history. 

• Rage+1 2

Just now, Red Five said:

Think it was Chris Hayes who said last night, "Being president and running for president are two entirely different jobs. Running for president requires an ability to communicate that Biden just can't do now." 

So many times last night Trump would offer up some softball, that Biden should have hammered back at him with 1/6 or impeachments or fraud or whatever, but... nope. Just absolute layups against the worst candidate in history. 

Asking people to change their minds at this point is a losing strategy, while I do agree that policy wonks need to be thrown out the window of a first floor, it is irrelevant when Biden can show he is president daily, reassure people that he is handling the day to day, and probably open up more.

While I do admit the basement strategy is a non starter, this is all GOTV, nobody was excited about Biden 4 years ago, his crowds were lame and he was hit with the senile old man bit, but there is no alternative, none. 

Whistling past the graveyard if fifth column like shit.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Then they’d say he focused too much on Jan 6 which doesn’t resonate with voters. There’s no winning, period.

Just now, 'stache said:

Then they’d say he focused too much on Jan 6 which doesn’t resonate with voters. There’s no winning, period.

True, it is a lie that Biden had the bar on the floor, but admitedly going policy wonk is 100% failure never again explain complex shit Hillary lost on the same basis and she was not senile.

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Trump: I'm clearly the better golfer.

Biden: Of course you are. Between 2016 and 2020 you played 50 times more golf than me, and I was a private citizen! You should be able to beat Scottie Scheffler right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

Needs to just hammer this shit 24/7 way better than "I did fine!"

https://nypost.com/2024/06/28/us-news/biden-vows-to-return-for-second-debate-against-trump-after-disastrous-performance/?utm_source=reddit.com

President Biden is still committed to the second debate against Donald Trump despite his abysmal showing on Thursday night.

Biden, 81, will return to the debate stage in September, CNN Senior White House Correspondent Kayla Tausche reported Friday morning, citing an advisor.

Biden is also not considering dropping out of the race – despite concerns from members of his own party.

4 minutes ago, Restless Native said:

Trump: I'm clearly the better golfer.

Biden: Of course you are. Between 2016 and 2020 you played 50 times more golf than me, and I was a private citizen! You should be able to beat Scottie Scheffler right now.

If this is how we’re determining whether democracy should or should not exist it’s over anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

I agree, but the problem is I think there's a ton of apathy this morning.  No one is excited to vote for Biden anymore.  No one.  People will stay home.
"Vote for a senile old man that you feel sorry for because he's not Trump" will not win what was already going to be a close election.

Hopefully, they remember what the alternative is.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Hopefully, they remember what the alternative is.

The alternative was on full display last night too. It’s the presidency not a fucking singing competition on ABC. You know what? Fuck it, let’s just go ahead and abolish elections anyway, who cares.

Edited by 'stache

Biden isn’t even a Boomer, he’s older. Trump barely is. 

We are partly here because of the Baby Boom generation, which has combined complete narcissism with tremendous political power and has left generations behind them underinvested in the United States.  There are generations of voters who are willing to break shit and play roughly with something they don’t feel like they own. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

Gen-X is mostly in their 50's now. Millennials keep rolling into their 40's yet we have two old as fuck Boomers running for president. Make this make sense.

Why do people care if it makes sense? I can explain it with three words "people are stupid"

I have accepted an internalized it, losing is however simply unacceptable, and panicking bitches demanding a losing strategy because they are wobbling, is the real victory for the orange clown.

There is no consensus candidate after Biden even if he calls it quit, I mean aside from Obama and people are too pussy to try that out.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Gen-X is mostly in their 50's now. Millennials keep rolling into their 40's yet we have two old as fuck Boomers running for president. Make this make sense.

Trump was old and fat, but happened to capture lightning in a bottle in 2016 between his ego, the politically sidelined white stupids, Obama leaving office, etc.  

Biden was already old, but was so juiced in by the Clinton/Obama Democratic machine, he was picked to end the madness of Trump.  

The Republicans fell completely in lock-step with Trump from 2021 to 2024.  The Democrats had that same span of time to let Joe surround himself with very capable people to take care of some very serious issues, and they did just that.  They also had that same timespan to groom and introduce a new candidate for 2024 that wouldn't undermine Joe's efforts on important goals.  There is a way to do that, and they fucked it up at every turn.  So this is what we get.  Obviously not as significant as POTUS, but there are very substantial institutions, corporations, lower elected offices, etc. that have someone take the reins while a younger person is prepped for taking over in the intermediate-term timeline.  It's a delicate balance but there are tens of thousands of examples of how it can be done effectively.  But nope, the Democratic party said, "Yeah, we're 50/50 with a convicted felon and rapist...we could plan ahead...or we could just take the coin toss."  

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, linux said:

Asking people to change their minds at this point is a losing strategy, while I do agree that policy wonks need to be thrown out the window of a first floor, it is irrelevant when Biden can show he is president daily, reassure people that he is handling the day to day, and probably open up more.

While I do admit the basement strategy is a non starter, this is all GOTV, nobody was excited about Biden 4 years ago, his crowds were lame and he was hit with the senile old man bit, but there is no alternative, none. 

Whistling past the graveyard if fifth column like shit.

You keep saying this, but it just flat out is not comparable.  He was labeled as an old man and then he would come out and easily clear the hurdle.  Biden 2020 was old in a "wise, old man" kind of way.  Biden 2024 is old in a "will he make it to November?" kind of way.  The reason for the panic last night is this is the first time he didn't clear the "old" hurdle.  The mass "oh shit" reaction was not some coordinated messaging campaign, it's the visceral reaction of millions of people who have never once considered replacing Biden suddenly realizing the red button needs to be pushed.  It's a big, big deal.

Also, "he just needs to keep doing the day to day stuff" is a really weird request for someone with historically low approval ratings.  Biden's key to victory was always to show he was the only candidate fit to be president.  Last night did not do that, period.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, linux said:

Needs to just hammer this shit 24/7 way better than "I did fine!"

https://nypost.com/2024/06/28/us-news/biden-vows-to-return-for-second-debate-against-trump-after-disastrous-performance/?utm_source=reddit.com

President Biden is still committed to the second debate against Donald Trump despite his abysmal showing on Thursday night.

Biden, 81, will return to the debate stage in September, CNN Senior White House Correspondent Kayla Tausche reported Friday morning, citing an advisor.

Biden is also not considering dropping out of the race – despite concerns from members of his own party.

My money is on he'll forget he said this by dinner

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

You keep saying this, but it just flat out is not comparable.  He was labeled as an old man and then he would come out and easily clear the hurdle.  Biden 2020 was old in a "wise, old man" kind of way.  Biden 2024 is old in a "will he make it to November?" kind of way.  The reason for the panic last night is this is the first time he didn't clear the "old" hurdle.  The mass "oh shit" reaction last night was not some coordinated messaging campaign, it's the visceral reaction of millions of people who have never once considered replacing Biden suddenly realizing the red button needs to be pushed.  It's a big, big deal.

Also, "he just needs to keep doing the day to day stuff" is a really weird request for someone with historically low approval ratings.  Biden's key to victory was always to show he was the only candidate fit to be president.  Last night did not do that, period.

I am sorry who the fuck thought Biden cleared the hurdle of being an old man in 2020? name one!

He "lost" because Democrats panicked, that is it. Giving him a bar he never crossed in 2020, look young lol

Yeah, tons of people thought he was too old in 2020.  There's a whole lot of revisionist history going on up in here.

I'd bet good money that more than 90% of the posters freaking out right now thought to an absolute certainty after 1/6 that Trump wouldn't run again and that if he did he wouldn't be the nominee. I bet all of you thought DeSantis would crush him. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Someone mentioned upthread the incomprehensible gap between being a President and running for President.  

I think Biden has done an absolutely amazing job of building an administration around very capable people who can handle tough shit and look good doing it.  He can't run on that, because it makes him seem feeble and not truly in charge.  But he's getting shit done by having great people do great stuff.  Well, cat's outta the bag now DNC.  Joe's done a fine enough job making himself look feeble.  May as well pivot to his team and record, what the fuck else do you have to lose?  

• Hook 'Em 3

Michelle has never run for office or held any position, and she would be undermined at every turn with the obvious that Barack was the power behind the throne.

Why do people do this shit? Honestly I think Trump won, not because he won a dumbass debate but because people are losing their minds, if 10 million democrats do commit suicide like they are sounding in opeds its over.

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So what was actually said doesn’t matter. Cool. Trumps been a buffoon nonstop for a decade. He’s never been asked to go away. For those always crying that “dems don’t have a playbook” remember the rules are completely different. Yeah let’s get all 9 SCOTUS judges to be fascist because the other guy just feels too old. We deserve to lose democracy if that’s how it plays out.

our process and everyone that participates in it (excluding voters) legitimizes Trump. He should be shunned. There should not have been a debate. Biden should have put out a statement after his felony convictions, "We are not debating a convicted felon, the Republican Party should do better, and we are not going to legitimize the candidacy of a rapist, a liar, cheat, twice impeached and convicted felon by sharing the international debate stage with him."

THAT's how you deal with this fuckstain.

Then every god damned stump speech you repeat that refrain.

STOP GIVING A FELONIOUS CLOWN LEGITIMACY!

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, linux said:

Michelle has never run for office or held any position, and she would be undermined at every turn with the obvious that Barack was the power behind the throne.

Why do people do this shit? Honestly I think Trump won, not because he won a dumbass debate but because people are losing their minds, if 10 million democrats do commit suicide like they are sounding in opeds its over.

Also she said she doesn’t want to run for office. Sure, make her endure 5 months of being called a man, tranny, etc. for a job she doesn’t want 

She also coined the “when they go low, we go high” mantra that everyone has bitched about for 8 years 

Edited by Js1

Just now, troph said:

our process and everyone that participates in it (excluding voters) legitimizes Trump. He should be shunned. There should not have been a debate. Biden should have put out a statement after his felony convictions, "We are not debating a convicted felon, the Republican Party should do better, and we are not going to legitimize the candidacy of a rapist, a liar, cheat, twice impeached and convicted felon by sharing the international debate stage with him."

THAT's how you deal with this fuckstain.

Then every god damned stump speech you repeat that refrain.

Yes but I loathe the media, they would carve him for shrinking this is their money, this is their great ratings, honestly Fox was not the death of democracy that was CNN.

The president vs candidate thing is real.   He’s great at the former, fuck the haters.  He’s horrible at the latter at this stage of his life.  And the latter is more important in the long term for our country despite it being a short term process.  

This is a time of love to see a wild card like an Admiral McRaven whisper “I’ll do it”.   It will never happen. Lazard pays pretty well I bet.  But that’s the type of candidate that would just kill it . . . as a candidate.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Also she said she doesn’t want to run for office. Sure, make her endure 5 months of being called a man, tranny, etc. for a job she doesn’t want 

She also coined the “when they go low, we go high” mantra that everyone has bitched about for 8 years 

y'all can call me tranny if I can be president. I be like, "don't care, I'm POTUS."

• Haha 4
  • Drool 2

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, tons of people thought he was too old in 2020.  There's a whole lot of revisionist history going on up in here.

I'd bet good money that more than 90% of the posters freaking out right now thought to an absolute certainty after 1/6 that Trump wouldn't run again and that if he did he wouldn't be the nominee. I bet all of you thought DeSantis would crush him. 

Panicking in the 2nd quarter is funny. Biden didn't do well in debates with Trump in 2020 either. He is old and has to fight a stutter against a bullshitter. It is a bad debate combo, especially if moderators aren't fact checking. CNN wants drama, so this is what we get. Ultimately, I don't think this debate matters come election time. You'll see clips of Biden being old and clips of Trump lying, hating, and deflecting. Neither are going to come across well. But Trump isn't pulling in independents with this performance and Biden isn't losing dem voters. Now, do I think someone like Buttigieg would likely have crushed Trump? Absolutely. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She doesn’t want to run for office and has said that numerous times. 

She’s still in mourning. 

She’s not looking to be the savior even if Fox News keeps pushing this idea based on nothing. 

She didn’t even really want Barack to run for president. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You haven't seen him ramble on unintelligibly like a lost dementia patient in a nursing home and turn an answer from abortion to immigrants killing women? Did you just conveniently miss that one? 

What about the one where no one even knew what he said and trump felt so bad for him he kinda just left it alone and said "I have no idea what he just said and I don't he did either" 

Last night wasn't an old man. Last night was unacceptable for any public appearance for the President of the United States of America. He can't be seen as a completely weak and incompetent leader and old man with dementia to the rest of the world, let alone in his own country for an election. It was very very bad, there is no conspiracy here. He was fucking lost for nearly half the debate and the other half he was seemingly exhausted and confused. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1