The WAY too early June Presidential Debate thread

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

And you might as well be this guy.  He was pretty adamant that all was well and success was assured if people just maintained faith, too.  Bottom line, it’s ridiculous that the only viable opposition to Trump’s bid for an American Apartheid was the D candidate that limped onto the debate stage last night.  I can’t blame anyone for staying home on Election Day.

IMG_6029.jpeg

I just can't comprehend how it's the democrat's fault that Donald Trump is a legitimate candidate. The problem is the people. The fact that half the country will vote for a complete idiot while the other half demands perfection is maddening and is why democracy is about to die in the USA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

….and this paddle game.

Wait, the physical version of the wooden paddle with the ball on the string, or like the early video game console that had the dials so you could play "Pong"? 

And to Neonmoon's point-----can somebody please tell me where this Civil War be taking place?  I want to make sure I have something nice to wear.  I can't remember his name, but at the time, he was the head of the FBI's counter-terrorism unit.  It had gotten a robust amount of resources and funding after the first bombing of the WTC in the 1990's.  Before that, it was all focused on the USSR.  Anyway, he died just a few years ago.  But he gave this interview to Esquire in the mid 2000's, where he recounts picking up bits and pieces here and there of what he felt like could be a potential attack on high value targets in the U.S. in the early 2000's.  He didn't have enough to go on, but he was the first one to take note that it was weird that were these young Middle Eastern men on work visas, renting apartments and taking flying courses in small towns in Florida and Minnesota.   And he said something to the effect of, "We got complacent.  But I knew we were just fucking due."  We are, as a nation, once again, very complacent and accepting of completely insane banalities.  We are due for something bad, something internal.  I am not worried about violence in the streets, the Mason-Dixon line, Confederates and Seditionists, what gives me pause is precisely that there is no demarkation.  they don't know who to fight, who to shoot, where to do it, and for what 'leader', they just want somebody to suffer to validate their woeful ignorance. 

I have battled many foes, smart and powerful.  I have lived many lives and served many masters.  But as history has taught me, the guy I worry about the most is the one in the corner with nothing left to lose.  He beats me more often than not.  Again, our prize mistake-failure of imagination.    

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I do love how people are all about “it’s the OBLIGATION of the DNC to pressure Biden to step aside because he’s old and feeble”….but put ZERO burden on the GQP to “maybe don’t unify behind an avowed, pathologically lying, criminal, rapist, narcissist fascist.”
Breathtaking. The bar for Dems is “be perfect.” The bar for the GQP is…”there is no bar.”

Difference is behind Trump is Trump 2.0... Trump 3.0... they keep coming. 

Dems never needed to be perfect against Trump, all they need is to avoid being a disaster. They are getting awfully close to their "hold my beer" finale.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

Panicking in the 2nd quarter is funny. Biden didn't do well in debates with Trump in 2020 either. He is old and has to fight a stutter against a bullshitter. It is a bad debate combo, especially if moderators aren't fact checking. CNN wants drama, so this is what we get. Ultimately, I don't think this debate matters come election time. You'll see clips of Biden being old and clips of Trump lying, hating, and deflecting. Neither are going to come across well. But Trump isn't pulling in independents with this performance and Biden isn't losing dem voters. Now, do I think someone like Buttigieg would likely have crushed Trump? Absolutely. 
This. Pete crushes the debate then loses...because the gay.
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Difference is behind Trump is Trump 2.0... Trump 3.0... they keep coming. 

Dems never needed to be perfect against Trump, all they need is to avoid being a disaster. They are getting awfully close to their "hold my beer" finale.

Biden's policies work. Trumps proposed policies are disastrous. Only in the USA is a stutter the difference maker in determining whether we should abandon democracy or allow a moron who lies constantly and is a convicted felon to hold power.

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

This. Pete crushes the debate then loses...because the gay.

Same with Newsom because California. I'm always shocked at seemingly normal people who feel the need to constantly go out of their way to make that an issue.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I just can't comprehend how it's the democrat's fault that Donald Trump is a legitimate candidate. The problem is the people. The fact that half the country will vote for a complete idiot while the other half demands perfection is maddening and is why democracy is about to die in the USA.

It is 100% NOT the democrat's fault that Trump is the legitimate candidate or that the GQP are functionally insane. You can only control what you can control and you don't get to decide what the other team wants to do, whether it be eat and flop around in slop or not. 

The problem is that what the democrat's hand to play, was one that was not great. The only one that could beat Trump in 2020 was a 78 year old centrist career politician. He is now the 81 year old (who acts and thinks and speaks in the suboptimal way of 81 year olds) who is the incumbant, and so the DNC felt like given a) he was the only one who could beat Trump in 2020 and b) he's the incumbant and the political playbook says you NEVER go away from the incumbant, you played your hand.

Edited by Vegas64

Wait, the physical version of the wooden paddle with the ball on the string, or like the early video game console that had the dials so you could play "Pong"? 

And to Neonmoon's point-----can somebody please tell me where this Civil War be taking place?  I want to make sure I have something nice to wear.  I can't remember his name, but at the time, he was the head of the FBI's counter-terrorism unit.  It had gotten a robust amount of resources and funding after the first bombing of the WTC in the 1990's.  Before that, it was all focused on the USSR.  Anyway, he died just a few years ago.  But he gave this interview to Esquire in the mid 2000's, where he recounts picking up bits and pieces here and there of what he felt like could be a potential attack on high value targets in the U.S. in the early 2000's.  He didn't have enough to go on, but he was the first one to take note that it was weird that were these young Middle Eastern men on work visas, renting apartments and taking flying courses in small towns in Florida and Minnesota.   And he said something to the effect of, "We got complacent.  But I knew we were just fucking due."  We are, as a nation, once again, very complacent and accepting of completely insane banalities.  We are due for something bad, something internal.  I am not worried about violence in the streets, the Mason-Dixon line, Confederates and Seditionists, what gives me pause is precisely that there is no demarkation.  they don't know who to fight, who to shoot, where to do it, and for what 'leader', they just want somebody to suffer to validate their woeful ignorance. 
I have battled many foes, smart and powerful.  I have lived many lives and served many masters.  But as history has taught me, the guy I worry about the most is the one in the corner with nothing left to lose.  He beats me more often than not.  Again, our prize mistake-failure of imagination.    

It looks like a cross between the El Paso Walmart and Greg Abbott pardoning a murderer.
Emboldened fascist militias and related actors, as well as militarized state forces (watch your DPS turning into an actual military force that answers only to the MAGA governor)…committing whatever acts of violence they want, completely protected by “the law” (state and federal governments that will never prosecute them).
The government won’t have to shoot us brown people. They’ll just protect everyone who does so in the name of “purifying our soil.” Just for starters.
Add violent confrontations/resistance when a DPS stormtrooper tries to arrest a woman driving to New Mexico because maybe she’s pregnant, and we can’t allow that.
Add to that the circumstance of you being a vigilante, killing the man who raped your daughter, because he’s the son of a Senior Party Official, and is thus protected from all consequences.
It all falls apart. That’s what they want. It’s so, so, so stupid and counterproductive, but it’s apparently what we want.

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I just can't comprehend how it's the democrat's fault that Donald Trump is a legitimate candidate.

Sure, but ultimately, who cares?  It WILL be the Dems fault if Donald Trump wins the Presidency again, just like it was the Dems fault that he won it the first time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Vegas64 said:

It is 100% NOT the democrat's fault that Trump is the legitimate candidate or that the GQP are functionally insane. You can only control what you can control and you don't get to decide what the other team wants to do, whether it be eat and flop around in slop or not. 

The problem is that what the democrat's hand to play, was one that was not great. The only one that could be Trump in 2020 was a 78 year old centrist career politician. He is now the 81 year old (who acts and thinks and speaks in the suboptimal way of 81 year olds) who is the incumbant, and so the DNC felt like given a) he was the only one who could beat Trump in 2020 and b) he's the incumbant and the political playbook says you NEVER go away from the incumbant, you played your hand.

Yep... I feel similar this go around. GOP runs Trump because they feel he's the only one who can beat Biden.  If Biden decided not to run (early on), I'm not sure Trump is their candidate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Sure, but ultimately, who cares?  It WILL be the Dems fault if Donald Trump wins the Presidency again, just like it was the Dems fault that he won it the first time.

I was just going to say, get ready for another 4 years of "It's our fault for running Hillary, literally any functioning person could have beaten Trump he's so despised", but replace Hillary with Biden.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

The problem is that what the democrat's hand to play, was one that was not great. The only one that could beat Trump in 2020 was a 78 year old centrist career politician. He is now the 81 year old (who acts and thinks and speaks in the suboptimal way of 81 year olds) who is the incumbant, and so the DNC felt like given a) he was the only one who could beat Trump in 2020 and b) he's the incumbant and the political playbook says you NEVER go away from the incumbant, you played your hand.

I should be more specific, it's not the democrats fault that half this country's voters think he's a good candidate. There isn't anything the democrats can do to make them see reason. It's also not their fault that a bunch of people "in the middle" are more persuaded by his stutter during a dog and pony show than actual policy positions and competence in governance. 

• Like 1

Yep... I feel similar this go around. GOP runs Trump because they feel he's the only one who can beat Biden.  If Biden decided not to run (early on), I'm not sure Trump is their candidate.

This is fucking stupid. The GOP is running Trump again because the GOP is a cult and Trump is the leader of the cult.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

What?  The GOP isn't running Trump; Trump is running the GOP.  They're hitched to his wagon because they have to be.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah, this California thing is kind of a self-perpetuating myth.  Austin is a great example of it.  Five years ago, the RPT/Abbott/Patrick could't shut the fuck up about how all these blue state coastal elites were coming to Texas to save money and dilute our conservative voting base.  Then, all of a sudden, it's conservatively-principled Californians fleeing a Blue State oppressive regime for the liberty and opportunity that only the Texas Miracle can provide.  Well which one is it?  Because I know and work with hundreds of them and they're the same fucking people they were 5 years ago.  

California has some batshit lunatic, far-left elected officials.  But it also gave this country Nixon and Reagan, two hardnose conservatives.  Governor Arnold wasn't that long ago.  Nor was Pete Wilson.  

Yes, the Bay Area and signifiant portions of the L.A. MSA are too extreme for much of America.  And the whole state has to play by the rules of a solidly-left Sacramento.  But much of that state is quite moderate.  It had more Trump voters than Texas did in 2020.  You go below IH-80 and east of IH-5, and then the NE region.........those massive tracks of land and millions of people make East Texas look downright liberally enlightened.  

2 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

How so? How do you convince people who are either completely brainwashed or too stupid to think through actual public policy that positions and competence are more important than bluster and how well you respond to a fat buffoon rambling on stage about his golf game?

28 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Trump egging Putin to start WWIII. That’s fucking rich. We’re closer to war with Russia now than we’ve ever been since 1962. Your President has been the one itching for a war. Not a single American life is worth dying for Ukraine.

you're such a dumbfuck.

GWB - I can see his soul, he's a good man

Clinton - dupdeedoo - couldn't handle him, Chechnya and Georgia on his watch?

Obama - Crimea

Trump - refusing to support Ukraine unless quid pro quo (the man was impeached for that).

Biden - inherits a weakened Ukraine, invasion - born out of four presidents before him that Putin man-handled.

What happened since then, under Biden's watch? Ukraine has skull fucked the Russian military, NATO is as strong as it has ever been (and expanded). Europe is united against Putin and nearly every, if not every NATO country is supporting Ukraine now.

Every fucking US President EXCEPT Biden let Putin do what Putin wanted to do. The USA trained Putin to take. we are only just now saying "not on my watch".

You're obtuse or disingenuous or both.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, 'stache said:

I should be more specific, it's not the democrats fault that half this country's voters think he's a good candidate. There isn't anything the democrats can do to make them see reason. It's also not their fault that a bunch of people "in the middle" are more persuaded by his stutter during a dog and pony show than actual policy positions and competence in governance. 

But it IS their fault that they don't recognize the reality of it, whether it's rational or not. You play the game that's in front of you, not the one that is ideal or as it should be. You fight your opponent in real time, not in theory. 

If you know the "middle" are persuaded by stuttering, dog and pony shows, optics, soundbytes, appearances versus actual policy positions and governing wonkiness, then you need to strategize for THAT reality.

If you don't know and are caught unawares, then you don't have the right strategists to win in the first place.

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, this California thing is kind of a self-perpetuating myth.  Austin is a great example of it.  Five years ago, the RPT/Abbott/Patrick could't shut the fuck up about how all these blue state coastal elites were coming to Texas to save money and dilute our conservative voting base.  Then, all of a sudden, it's conservatively-principled Californians fleeing a Blue State oppressive regime for the liberty and opportunity that only the Texas Miracle can provide.  Well which one is it?  Because I know and work with hundreds of them and they're the same fucking people they were 5 years ago.  

California has some batshit lunatic, far-left elected officials.  But it also gave this country Nixon and Reagan, two hardnose conservatives.  Governor Arnold wasn't that long ago.  Nor was Pete Wilson.  

Yes, the Bay Area and signifiant portions of the L.A. MSA are too extreme for much of America.  And the whole state has to play by the rules of a solidly-left Sacramento.  But much of that state is quite moderate.  It had more Trump voters than Texas did in 2020.  You go below IH-80 and east of IH-5, and then the NE region.........those massive tracks of land and millions of people make East Texas look downright liberally enlightened.  

it's more than that, California is the American Dream and the engine of US innovation. When Presidents talk about the greatness of America, California is singularly at the top of the reasons why. And when you talk about the problems we all face, housing affordability, wealth inequality, climate crisis, and I could go on, California is at the top of the list.

California IS America.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

How so? How do you convince people who are either completely brainwashed or too stupid to think through actual public policy that positions and competence are more important than bluster and how well you respond to a fat buffoon rambling on stage about his golf game?

Serious question about how? It's easy. You run someone who has vim and vinegar. Someone who makes Trump look like the feeble old 80 year old against your quick wit, smart and sharp points, and cogent abilities. Bonus points for someone who is actually fit and can actually play golf and make Trump look like a fat old man.

2 minutes ago, Poester said:

Naw, my Venezuelan buddy texted me this morning and begged me to put up a Trump flag. My Mexican neighbor already has one. I’m debating it. 

plenty of people jump on the bandwagon against their self-interest. that's a known consequence of fascist propaganda. Surely Trump doesn't mean me when he says we shouldn't let trans folk have rights, certainly he doesn't mean me a law abiding brown person, surely he means those others.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

Serious question about how? It's easy. You run someone who has vim and vinegar. Someone who makes Trump look like the feeble old 80 year old against your quick wit, smart and sharp points, and cogent abilities. Bonus points for someone who is actually fit and can actually play golf and make Trump look like a fat old man.

I disagree that it makes any difference. The average American's brain is mush. A good looking energetic younger democrat will still be hammered because of the gay or dead babies or Mexican immigrants all being MS13. But who knows, I just don't think anything matters anymore. The other old guy who talks like a true idiot has been deemed the winner of a debate. He lost by every metric that matters. The other guy is old and stuttered too much is not a legitimate issue, at least not under current circumstances. 

Edited by 'stache

17 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I know Jill is trying to help but it is just giving fuel to the other side when she’s praising him for answering questions.

I watch that live and it was super cringe.. Biden was ambling around like a confused zombie.

Then he broke into the story about John Wayne rounding up Apaches to get them back on the reservation.

Listen, I wish I had a pair of @linux's rose colored glasses, but I feel like I did in 2016, when I though Hillary was the only person who could lose to Trump. 

As mentioned, ad nauseum up thread, Biden should never have been the nominee in 2020, but he won (barely) in large part because of Trump's handling of the worst pandemic since the Spanish Flu, and a tanking economy.

And while Biden was still old in 2020, he was relatively lucid, engaging, and willing to attack.  Biden 2.0 needs to be put out to pasture.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

you're such a dumbfuck.

GWB - I can see his soul, he's a good man

Clinton - dupdeedoo - couldn't handle him, Chechnya and Georgia on his watch?

Obama - Crimea

Trump - refusing to support Ukraine unless quid pro quo (the man was impeached for that).

Biden - inherits a weakened Ukraine, invasion - born out of four presidents before him that Putin man-handled.

What happened since then, under Biden's watch? Ukraine has skull fucked the Russian military, NATO is as strong as it has ever been (and expanded). Europe is united against Putin and nearly every, if not every NATO country is supporting Ukraine now.

Every fucking US President EXCEPT Biden let Putin do what Putin wanted to do. The USA trained Putin to take. we are only just now saying "not on my watch".

You're obtuse or disingenuous or both.

Biden’s posture is confrontational, he spurned the peace talks before the invasion. He has led NATO to keep pushing this conflict without offering a way out. The MAGA base does not want another cent to go to Ukraine and we certainly don’t want a single American life to die for that cause. Putin has threatened to use tactical nukes and this Administration has blithely ignored that risk like it was nothing. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 6

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

I watch that live and it was super cringe.. Biden was ambling around like a confused zombie.

Then he broke into the story about John Wayne rounding up Apaches to get them back on the reservation.

Listen, I wish I had a pair of @linux's rose colored glasses, but I feel like I did in 2016, when I though Hillary was the only person who could lose to Trump. 

As mentioned, ad nauseum up thread, Biden should never have been the nominee in 2020, but he won (barely) in large part because of Trump's handling of the worst pandemic since the Spanish Flu, and a tanking economy.

And while Biden was still old in 2020, he was relatively lucid, engaging, and willing to attack.  Biden 2.0 needs to be put out to pasture.  

Biden won by a larger margin in 2020 than Trump did in 2016. He also got 20 million more votes than trump got in 2016. 

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Biden’s posture is confrontational, he spurned the peace talks before the invasion. He has led NATO to keep pushing this conflict without offering a way out. The MAGA base does not want another cent to go to Ukraine and we certainly don’t want a single American life to die for that cause. Putin has threatened to use tactical nukes and this Administration has blithely ignored that risk like it was nothing. 

a way out? a way out from what? he's confrontational? with Putin? spurned peace talks with a man who wants no peace? a man who has taken territory by force? have you paid attention to what Putin has done the last 20+ years? jesus man.

Biden hasn't ignored the tactical nuke threat, if anything, Biden has been too restrained because of it, prolonging a war and making Ukraine vulnerable.

you repeat talking points that have no basis in reality man.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I disagree that it makes any difference. The average American's brain is mush. A good looking energetic younger democrat will still be hammered because of the gay or dead babies or Mexican immigrants all being MS13. But who knows, I just don't think anything matters anymore. The other old guy who talks like a true idiot has been deemed the winner of a debate. He lost by every metric that matters. The other guy is old and stuttered too much is not a legitimate issue, at least not under current circumstances. 

To minimize Biden's performance as "old and just stuttered too much" is part of the problem. It's very clear there wasn't just a standard Biden stutter he's had his whole adult life. What America witnessed was a very real and stark decline in the cognitive ability to take thoughts from the mind to communicate with words in a quick and able fashion. As the poster above mentioned, it reminds America of their grandpa right before you take the grandpa's keys away.

It's a hard thing to square. And it's not (all of the) American people's fault that is what they saw last night. That was a choice.

5 minutes ago, troph said:

it's more than that, California is the American Dream and the engine of US innovation. When Presidents talk about the greatness of America, California is singularly at the top of the reasons why. And when you talk about the problems we all face, housing affordability, wealth inequality, climate crisis, and I could go on, California is at the top of the list.

California IS America.

The American Dream is dead in California. The middle class is under constant assault in that state. Highest home prices, gas prices, taxes and homeless camps as for as the eye can see. Who do you think is moving to Austin by the boatloads. It’s Californians. If Gavin ran, all Trump would have to do is run a constant loop of California gas prices, boarded up retail stores in San Francisco closed because of rampant shoplifting and the homeless camps. Running on California’s record is a bold strategy. I don’t think it will turn out well for your side.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

missed the debate. read the first part of this thread, but have seen no less than 3 opinions/editorials from major newspapers calling for him to step aside. at this point, I'm in a 'we survived the 1st time and will likely survive again" and think the larger, intractable issue is the Court, but this has all the makings of a disaster many could see coming from a mile off and did nothing to prevent. for a country that rails against a monarchy, both parties seem to treat the process of leadership akin to that of having a king. I'm not sure why there was a steadfast belief that the party didn't have other options 

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

And that was the good part of last night. 

"He answered all the questions!". I think it was supposed to be a contrast to Trump not answering questions, but it still came across as a proud parent of a five year old.

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

The American Dream is dead in California. The middle class is under constant assault in that state. Highest home prices, gas prices, taxes and homeless camps as for as the eye can see. Who do you think is moving to Austin by the boatloads. It’s Californians. If Gavin ran, all Trump would have to do is run a constant loop of California gas prices, boarded up retail stores in San Francisco closed because of rampant shoplifting and the homeless camps. Running on California’s record is a bold strategy. I don’t think it will turn out well for your side.

Lmao 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

What would you have them do?  No, better yet, what do you think Trump would do?

The one thing he’s not lying about is that he would resolve both wars. He’d let Russia have Ukraine and would help Israel wipe out all residents of Gaza. Easy peasy.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Macklemore said:

none of that is unique to California. The positives and negatives of California are America. I acknowledge negatives but those are negatives of America, not isolated to California.

again, your simple talking points are regurgitated nonsense.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

And?  

Let me introduce you to the Electoral College.

306 to 232

But go ahead throw that all away for people that have never won a primary or an election (Newsome did win Cali don't bother me with small details)

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Jesus Christ maybe try watching first before suggesting a fucking pro wrestler for president. Some of yall seriously saying moronic shit today.

Good lord, you thought that post was a serious political analysis? Who’s the moron?

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

And that was the good part of last night. 

"He answered all the questions!". I think it was supposed to be a contrast to Trump not answering questions, but it still came across as a proud parent of a five year old.

His "answer" to the abortion question was...an abortion.

They threw the softest of soft balls his way and he transitioned into talking about the 12 yo girl that got raped and killed by two illegals.  

oof-damn.gif

11 minutes ago, troph said:

plenty of people jump on the bandwagon against their self-interest. that's a known consequence of fascist propaganda. Surely Trump doesn't mean me when he says we shouldn't let trans folk have rights, certainly he doesn't mean me a law abiding brown person, surely he means those others.

It’s a bigger tent than you realize. There are dozens of us. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 4

I mean, we can also just run loops of meth houses, shanty towns, towns with no clean water, no grocery stores, homeless folks, and boarded up downtowns from the states of Mississippi, West Virginia, Alabama, Louisiana, and Kentucky all radical republican red states. 

He knows that, right?

Just now, linux said:

306 to 232

But go ahead throw that all away for people that have never won a primary or an election (Newsome did win Cali don't bother me with small details)

It's amazing. No matter how many times they see some seemingly-amazing political candidate step out onto the national stage and immediately fall flat on their face, people just refuse to learn how the real world actually works.