Texas Baseball 2025 - Show Me A Schloss

petscii

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't consider the 2nd part to be a complete non sequitir?

We've been together 16 years and I've never met her parents.   We were gonna go covid year, I had tickets even.

7 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Is it a baseball thing that coaches want visits shrouded in secrecy? 995ers otherwise seem hellbent on providing as little information as possible when they could easily widen the market for it

Baseball recruiting just doesn’t get the coverage basketball and football for a number of reasons, namely how early  recruiting starts (you can take official visits the fall of your junior year) and the fact that some guys who commit will never actually play for your school. And baseball is 3rd in the pecking order for coverage for these 9.95 sites.

https://texaslonghorns.com/sports/baseball/roster

Fall roster.   Check, I count 48.    Sanders is not on the roster which would be 49.  Unique situation.  

A month or so ago Schloss stated Fall Ball will start o/a 17 Sep.   That was the plan at that time.

There will be a 40-man limit on roster size for Division I programs during the 2025 baseball season.

Up to 32 student-athletes will be allowed to receive a baseball scholarship – an increase from the normal limit of 27 in Division I.

The additional “counters” (scholarship athletes counting against the team scholarship limit) must be included in the maximum team limit of 11.7 scholarships and must be provided the minimum scholarship value of 25%.

https://informedathlete.com/ncaa-di-baseball-roster-scholarship-limits-for-2025-school-year/

16 hours ago, torre said:

https://texaslonghorns.com/sports/baseball/roster

Fall roster.   Check, I count 48.    Sanders is not on the roster which would be 49.  Unique situation.  

A month or so ago Schloss stated Fall Ball will start o/a 17 Sep.   That was the plan at that time.

https://informedathlete.com/ncaa-di-baseball-roster-scholarship-limits-for-2025-school-year/

I would be surprised if Sanders is playing baseball this spring. I guess we also have to factor in Jonah Williams for the numbers because the plan seems to be for him to enroll in January and play baseball while doing spring football. The majority of the roster cuts will surely come on the pitching side. We are carrying 25 right now. That number should be closer to 20 by the time the season rolls around.

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but seniors using COVID years previously didn't count towards the 40-man roster limit. If that is still in place, we should be able to carry 42 with Mercer and Duplantier being covid redshirt seniors. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Texas baseball started fall workouts but new head coach Jim Schlossnagle said he won’t schedule any outside games because “I don’t know if we have enough pitching to get through an eight to 10 to 12 to 14-inning game.” Pitcher Ace Whitehead will rest after surgery to relieve pressure on the nerves and arteries between the neck and armpit. Schloss’s goal this fall? “To find out who can play the game. We haven’t even created a lineup yet. It’s not all puppies and ice cream, but it’s close.  It’s a completely blank slate for some players, but I have trouble thinking Jalin Flores would not be our shortstop.” … Catcher-DH Kimble Schuessler, who hit .343 with 10 homers last season, said the team has welcomed its new boss and said, “He’s won everywhere he’s been, and he welcomed us with open arms.” Any newcomer to look out for? Try Adrian Rodriguez, a switch-hitting freshman third baseman. 

Texas football: Steve Sarkisian has resurrected Longhorns' program (houstonchronicle.com)    Kirk Bohls

Nice story on Omar who was inducted into the Texas Hall of Honor tonight.  (excerpts)

What are your memories of that 2002 title team?

All those memories will last forever. It was truly a special year of great teammates, my brothers; it was my family away from home. That run that we had, just coming together like a family, and of course being led by the coaches that we had — Tommy Harmon, Frank Anderson and the late Augie Garrido — that was something special that I'll never forget.

What was your relationship with Ivan Melendez?

It was truly special. I started working with Ivan right after high school, and he put up some really good numbers in junior college. Such a great kid. I wanted him to go somewhere special where he could do something special for the university, and what better than the University of Texas? So I wanted him to come here. Knowing that (Troy Tulowitzki) was here, I was hoping that I could pull some strings and help him get here because I knew he could do something special for the university, and at the same time, the university could do something special for him in setting up his future.

Texas baseball's Omar Quintanilla to be inducted into Hall of Honor (statesman.com)

Texas third baseman Omar Quintanilla, left, kisses the 2002 College World Series championship trophy after the Longhorns defeated South Carolina at Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha, Neb. on June 22, 2002.

• Hook 'Em 2

From Gerry H on the OTF board regarding Jonah Williams:

Per a family member, Williams still plans to graduate in December. And he plans to go through Texas football spring practice, while also be part of the Horns baseball team. Both coaching staffs are on board with the plan per the family member. Williams hasn't looked back on the decision to forgo the MLB draft or had second thoughts, to this point. 

Now mid-way through the high school football season, Ball is 5-0 with some big games coming up in the district race, he will begin to get some swings in on the diamond starting next week when time permits. Just to stay somewhat sharp before heading to Texas in January. Texas baseball has talked to him about pitching as well. 

5 hours ago, GJ Winne said:

Apparently TXST has a commitment from a SS previously committed to Texas.  Anyone have a name?

Saw this at another forum-  Victor Coronado of Lutheran South Academy.  I did not recall that he was a commit.  Perhaps the new UT staff had something to do with his new commitment.  His PG score is 9.5 and he appears to have converted to 3B and also pitches.  Big kid with good power.  I checked and could not find that he had committed to Texas State.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, .45s said:

Saw this at another forum-  Victor Coronado of Lutheran South Academy.  I did not recall that he was a commit.  Perhaps the new UT staff had something to do with his new commitment.  His PG score is 9.5 and he appears to have converted to 3B and also pitches.  Big kid with good power.  I checked and could not find that he had committed to Texas State.

Thanks for the name. Big week for the Bobcats on the recruiting trail - already got 3 former aTm commits as well.  Pierce hire is paying off.

Blake

Baseball:

- As I reported on Saturday morning, Coach Schlossnagle and his staff brought in multiple recruits as we've seen them do at every home game this season up to this point.

- This weekend's group was considered to be very "high profile" type players in the eyes of the coaching staff. All six players are some of the best at their position(s).

- The last few times this was done we saw multiple commitments as the result, but nothing happened over the weekend (commitment wise). That doesn't mean it wasn't successful, however.  Texas feels great about where they stand with the majority of this group and should reel in some of these big fish soon.

- I'm waiting on another commitment to happen from someone who visited previously, but said recruit is going to visit one other school before doing so. 

- They still aren't done with the seven prospects who visited for Louisiana-Monroe either. The staff feels REALLY good about where things stand with that group as well.

• Hook 'Em 5

Oregon State (independent in baseball) Is only playing 20 games at home.  5 more games in Oregon @ Oregon for a series and two in Portland on Tuesday against Washington/Portland.

It's not a shabby schedule and it is interesting to me how they put it together working around all the conferences bye weeks.    Obviously they had to travel.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, petscii said:

Oregon State (independent in baseball) Is only playing 20 games at home.  5 more games in Oregon @ Oregon for a series and two in Portland on Tuesday against Washington/Portland.

It's not a shabby schedule and it is interesting to me how they put it together working around all the conferences bye weeks.    Obviously they had to travel.  

Depth is going to be tested. There are some crazy stretches on that schedule where they play a ton of games in close sequence.

17 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Sucked not having any fall ball games this year. Hope that doesn't become the norm under Schloss.

4 months til Alumni game...🤘

I was watching the Phillies-Mets game yesterday and just thinking "damn I cannot wait until College Baseball"

I am also really used to Pierce's teams' ebb and flow with the slow starts and having it all come together at the end of the season. Looking forward to seeing how it works out with Schloss.

Also: two early season tournaments. With Pierce that would be 0-6. Hope it goes differently with Schloss 

• Hook 'Em 1

God damn our unis are perfect. Better than everyone else's. They're beautiful. 

On 9/4/2024 at 3:00 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So, how will the season go once we start off 0-3?

Bro, we aren't going 0-3. Do you think Pierce is still coaching here?

On 9/4/2024 at 3:26 PM, petscii said:

Only one SEC team, we'll go 1-2.  Arizona is ducking us.  

We're going 3-0. Chill. 

On 9/6/2024 at 9:49 AM, Fletch said:

They forgot one. 

image.thumb.jpeg.63b9f5f1194c71ccbcc20b22795e7842.jpeg

Taking the ags to the promised land. All they need are elite recruits, but we keep stealing them. 

On 9/11/2024 at 10:12 PM, tx 3 putt said:

@LTtxfan Name of the song and artist?

On 9/12/2024 at 4:44 PM, petscii said:

So Columbia or Lexington for road series?  I've never been to either campus/city/state..

Lexington is much nicer than Columbia. Plus you'll have a great time there. 

On 10/7/2024 at 11:16 AM, Valmy77 said:

Also: two early season tournaments. With Pierce that would be 0-6. Hope it goes differently with Schloss 

What was Pierce's record in the tournaments? 4-12 or something to that effect so yeah he would have averaged out to 1.5 wins ;-)  Now stop triggering my PTSD (that's Pierce Traumatic Stress Disorder not post or taking anything away from people who have actual real PTSD)

On 10/10/2024 at 5:16 PM, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Lexington is much nicer than Columbia. Plus you'll have a great time there. 

Este...

Castle & Key, Buffalo Trace, & Woodford Reserve are all < ~40 minutes from Kentucky Proud

Roosters Wings is fucking phenomenal and there are 2 locations ~10 mintues from Kentucky Proud

Chevy Chase Inn is probably my favorite dive bar and Bourbon on Rye is my favorite whiskey bar in town