Texas Baseball 2025 - Show Me A Schloss

petscii

That is aggy in a nutshell.  Constantly moving the goalposts to support their narrative.  The series is even since A&M became coed.  Okay, well then you have 0 Heismans and National Titles.  Fucking morons.  I'd love to infiltrate their fish camp and document for the world to see.  Fucking weirdos man!

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Christ

This whole idea that the most immediately recent results are the determinant of how program quality is hilarious to me.

If it is that fast and easy to “surpass” Texas as a program, then it will be just as fast and easy to get surpassed, right?  So what are we even talking about? 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I forget the year, but Gus’ team was the only team since double elimination was implemented to lose the CWS with only one loss. It was a one year deal where there was a single championship game instead of the current best of three. 

Wichita State? 89 maybe?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Fatboy, journalists WRITE. They REPORT. They do not do the bidding of the athletic department. People who do so are boosters.

Stop illegally contacting recruits, booster. You're admitting to have cheated for years.

It's also a bit funny the "favors" he lists are reporting on the team and telling fans what time the game starts.  Uh, the fact you sees that as a favor and not some basic shit your supposed "fan site" should already be doing is part of your problem.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

It was the 2009 game.  As soon as they went up 7-0 in the first quarter, some drunk roided out frat doofus behind me punched me in the back of the head and started trash talking how we sucked and were gonna get blown out and were overrated. 

My aggy friends I went with didn't tolerate it and got on his ass. He did apologize by the 4th quarter when we went up 10 points and then they missed the FG that ended it. I assumed he had sobered up. 

That game was entirely too close for comfort for us being #3 in the country.  And it also hurt, I had a good bump back there for a while.  I'm pretty sure he got me with the aggy ring hand.

I've seen that kind of shitty behavior in crowds. Sorry it happened to you. Thanks for recounting.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Are the Aggies going to load up a cannon on a train and travel down to Austin to take him back? Damn those psychopaths are really out there. Starting to just want to give him back and just go get Vit instead. Less drama and the only ones we would have to deal with are Morgan and drunk uncle “OMAHA”

I'm sure through different graduates and back-channeling they can stop at least 40% of all brisket shipments into the Austin area. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

In cases like this, I always wonder how they come up with their lies that they then repeat until it becomes their truth?

Is there, like, a special committee in charge of it?  Do they hold weekly meetings to determine which events will aggrieve them to the point that they need to make up a lie?  Is there some metric, like a Richter scale of Ag Anger, that helps them determine the magnitude of the insult and the resulting lie that must be told to "correct" it?

Or is lying just so innate for aggies that it comes about organically?  Could be JoeAg82 this time, and OlSarge 63 the next?  It just bubbles through the cesspool of their moronic common clay consciousness, percolates for a while in the sewers of their imagination, and then suddenly springs forth unto their keyboards, like Athena bursting full-grown from Zeus' head after Hephaestus took to him with an axe? 

Inquiring minds want to know.

The 2nd one

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

It's also a bit funny the "favors" he lists are reporting on the team and telling fans what time the game starts.  Uh, the fact you sees that as a favor and not some basic shit your supposed "fan site" should already be doing is part of your problem.

“The things he had me do for him were so out of the ordinary for a sports reporter. It was gross, he had me writing stories about the program and players….he even had me…and I can’t believe I did this…I reported game times and encouraged people to come to the ballpark early.”

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

“The things he had me do for him were so out of the ordinary for a sports reporter. It was gross, he had me writing stories about the program and players….he even had me…and I can’t believe I did this…I reported game times and encouraged people to come to the ballpark early.”

Right. You were his secretary.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Another A&M guy Schloss is trying to bring over. Has a lot of southeast connections and was one of the reasons A&M got their foot in the door with Montgomery.

https://12thman.com/sports/baseball/roster/staff/chuck-box/668

Box and Weiner?

I'm starting to understand all these swinger rumors now.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's a rumor out there that a big aggie-backed select organization out of Katy has informed all levels of players and their parents that are no longer allowed to visit UT or consider them in their recruiting process. I laughed out loud. If you are a parent and you take that threat seriously, or continue to play for that org, you are a fucking imbecile. 

https://www.texastwelve.com/

I know Ryan Brauninger is involved in this org.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's a rumor out there that a big aggie-backed select organization out of Katy has informed all levels of players and their parents that are no longer allowed to visit UT or consider them in their recruiting process. I laughed out loud. If you are a parent and you take that threat seriously, or continue to play for that org, you are a fucking imbecile. 

Katy tracks. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Balcones said:

I thought we could only carry 35 for the season and 27 for post-season. 

40 is an NCAA change for the '25 baseball season.

32 scholarships (still divided) but that has increased from the the previous 27 player limit.

Those scholarships (11.7 divided up at 25%) will be increasing also for TEXAS Baseball as the University will be adding women's sports (Title IX) for gymnastics and most likely women's lacrosse ( at least that's what was reported yesterday on Texas Sports Unfiltered).

• Hook 'Em 2

Spoilered because it's very long, but some good info in here; especially under points 4 and 5. Then, Jeff drops some info regarding coaching searches and grass at the Disch.

The Insider: What you need to know about Jim Schlossnagle taking over at Texas

In this week's edition of "The Insider," Horns247 goes behind the scenes to tell you what you need to know about baseball coach Jim Schlossnagle taking over at Texas.

(Fuck) Chip Brown:

Spoiler

Here are five things I've learned over the last 24 hours about what's going on with the Texas baseball program under Jim Schlossnagle:

1. I was told shortly after I reported on Tuesday that Schlossnagle had accepted the Texas job, "He's bringing his best players with him."

On Wednesday, an exodus of Texas A&M players hit the transfer portal, including sophomore outfielder Jace LaViolette, freshman third baseman Gavin Grahovac, junior shortstop Ali Camarillo, senior designated hitter Hayden Schott, freshman outfielder Caden Sorrell and sophomore infielder Kaeden Kent.

LaViolette is seen as a potential top pick in the 2025 MLB Draft. As a freshman in 2023, he hit 21 home runs (an A&M freshman record) while batting .287 with 63 runs batted in and 18 stolen bases. As a sophomore this season, LaViolette hit a team-leading 29 home runs while batting .305 with 78 runs batted in and providing perfect (1.000) defense in right field.

Grahovac earned SEC Freshman of the Year honors this season after breaking LaViolette's freshman home run record with 23 dingers while batting .298 with 66 RBI. Grahovac started all but one game at third base but also played left field in the College World Series.

Camarillo batted .288 with seven home runs and 36 RBI.

Schott, a graduate student eligible for one more season, batted a team-leading .335 with eight home runs and 63 RBI.

Sorrell started 48 of 62 games while batting .275 with 11 home runs and 43 RBI.

Kent, a Lake Travis product and the son of 2000 National League MVP Jeff Kent, batted .327 with four home runs and 28 RBI.

Again, when I asked a key source which players specifically would Texas be getting from A&M, I was told, "Their best ones."

The transfer portal for baseball closes on July 2.

2. Texas director of player development Troy Tulowitzki, who along with assistant coach Caleb Longley, was credited with helping develop the Longhorns' hitters, who belted 112 home runs last season, will not be retained as part of Schlossnagle's staff.

Jim Schlossnagle wasn't coming to Texas unless he could bring his assistant coaches from Texas A&M. (L-R) Michael Earley, Nolan Cain and Max Weiner joined Schlossnagle (middle) in Austin for his introductory press conference on Wednesday. (Photo: Jay Janner/American-Statesman, USA TODAY Sports)

Schlossnagle said Wednesday the only way he was making the move from A&M to Texas was if he brought his entire staff with him.

"I have plenty of energy, but I did not want to go through that process [of building a new staff], and we don't have time to go through that process," he said. "We need players."

Again, the transfer portal for baseball closes on July 2. So, Schlossnagle is in a hurry to go find players.

"Lastly to Longhorn fans, we need you," Schlossnagle said. "Please know that this is not a job for me. This is a lifestyle. I don't play golf. I don't hunt. I fish every now and then. But I don't have many hobbies. My hobbies are to be around our players and to help them get better. And our job is to fill Disch-Falk. We need to become one of the elite atmospheres in the SEC — not just on the SEC weekends, but every single day."

3. Is there a better coaching hire than one that elevates your program while debilitating the program of a hated in-state rival? 

Has that ever happened before?

Oh, yeah. Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte hired Texas Tech basketball coach Chris Beard in April 2021 — two years after Beard took the Red Raiders to the national championship game.

Near anarchy broke out when Beard returned to Lubbock in early 2022 for his first meeting with Tech as the Longhorns' coach.

When asked Wednesday what kind of reaction he expects when he returns to A&M's Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park, Schlossnagle said, "Yeah, it'll be an experience for sure."

He then broke some news that the first series between the Longhorns and Aggies as SEC mates will be at Disch-Falk Field in 2025 with the return to College Station in 2026.

"I didn't do this to spite anybody," Schlossnagle said.

Jim Schlossnagle isn't expecting a warm reception when he makes his return to College Station to face Texas A&M as Texas' head coach. Schlossnagle's deal with the Longhorns was finalized less than 24 hours after he coached the Aggies in the national championship game. (Photo: Maria Lysaker, USA TODAY Sports)

He noted, "There's a lot of decisions in life that you don't get to choose the timing."

Still, he said he expects A&M fans will have "a lot of really interesting things planned."

"When you go into an SEC environment, it's already crazy," Schlossnagle said. "I'm sure that will be as crazy or more. It'll just be further evidence that we'll have to be prepared, not physically, but mentally, to be able to handle that. My job as the coach is to help our players handle that. And all that does is prepare us for the national championship in Omaha."

4. According to sources close to the situation, there were a few developments in the last year at Texas A&M that bothered Schlossnagle.

Schlossnagle was on A&M's search committee for a new athletic director when Ross Bjork, the man who hired Schlossnagle, left to take the same job at Ohio State earlier this year.

Schlossnagle preferred Army athletic director Mike Buddie, who has a baseball background (he was a pitcher for the New York Yankees and Milwaukee Brewers and also was the one who prepared Kevin Costner for his role in Sam Raimi's movie "For Love of the Game," which featured former Texas baseball coach Augie Garrido).

But A&M hired Trev Alberts as athletic director. In April, Alberts dismissed a dozen athletic department staffers in a cost-cutting maneuver,  including a couple of deputy ADs Schlossnagle had a close relationship with.

So, Schlossnagle's comments Wednesday about the importance of alignment in university leadership and the trust he has in Del Conte, who served as his athletic director for eight years at TCU (2009-17), spoke loudly.

"College athletics right now is in the most uncertain time that it's ever been in," Schlossnagle said. "No one knows what the future is. Never, never in the history of college athletics is alignment more important between athletic director,  president and chairman of the Board of Regents. And I yearn for a great leader. I need a great leader, and I study leadership. And Chris [Del Conte] is the best leader that I've ever known."

Jim Schlossnagle got to know Augie Garrido toward the end of the former Texas coach's time on the job. The two talked about the Texas job, among other things. (Photo: Michael Bruntz, 247Sports)

"I'm not telling you that we didn't have that at Texas A&M," Schlossnagle added. "I just felt very, very good about the short, straight and direct lines between the president [Jay Hartzell], the [regents] chairman [Kevin Eltife] and Chris. That is comforting to a coach, especially at such a big place like the University of Texas."

5. Schlossnagle said Wednesday that Garrido "in the last five or six years of his career, treated me at TCU as if I was one of his former players or coaches. He was a great mentor to me."

During a rain delay in Texas' series at TCU in 2015, Schlossnagle said Garrido told him, "I want you to come see me this summer."

So, while recruiting in California that summer, Schlossnagle made a point to go to Newport Beach, where Garrido spent his offseason. Garrido picked up Schlossnagle from the airport, and they went to dinner at Mastro's Ocean Club, a favorite restaurant of Garrido's.

Schlossnagle told me Wednesday that Garrido asked him, "Do you want the Texas job?" And Schlossnagle replied, "I don't know. Do I?"

"He told me not to take it," Schlossnagle said.

At that time, Steve Patterson was Texas' athletic director, and Garrido couldn't stand Patterson.

Flash forward to the summer of 2016, when Garrido stepped down after a 25-32 season, and Texas was suddenly looking for a new baseball coach.

To keep Schlossnagle from getting any ideas, Del Conte, then TCU's athletic director, moved swiftly to get Schlossnagle a contract extension and raise and tweeted out a picture of himself with Schlossnagle as if to say to Texas, don't come sniffing around TCU for a new baseball coach. 

"It wasn't the right time for Schloss to go to Texas," Del Conte said with a smile on Wednesday. "Now it is."

Even before they worked together at TCU, Chris Del Conte and Jim Schlossnagle first met during a rain delay in the 2007 NCAA Tournament when Schlossnagle's Horned Frogs played at Reckling Park in a regional hosted by Rice, where Del Conte was the athletic director. (Photo: Jay Janner/American-Statesman, USA TODAY Sports)

Schlossnagle recalled his first-ever meeting with Del Conte — in a rain-filled dugout during an NCAA Regional between TCU and Rice at Reckling Park in 2007, when Del Conte was the athletic director at Rice.

"We had a really good team at TCU that year," Schlossnagle said. "We had a couple of major league pitchers on that team — a guy that won the Cy Young Award by the name of Jake Arrieta and a relief pitcher by the name of Sam Demel. And we had to use them both in the first game to beat Baylor, and Rice had a great team. And the next day, it rained and rained and rained and rained. There's water standing four feet in our dugout, three feet in the outfield. I'm like, 'We're not playing this game. There's no way we're playing this game.' I also didn't want to play the game because Sam Demel had thrown two-plus innings in the first game, and I needed him to have the day to rest. 

"So we're standing in the outfield with our athletic director at TCU — Danny Morrison — and the NCAA rep and here comes this guy in flip-flops and a Tommy Bahama shirt, wading his way through the water. And he's like, 'Oh, we're playing this game.' I was like, 'Who is this guy?'

"The NCAA rep tried to make a decision, but [Rice] Coach [Wayne] Graham had his thumb on Mr. Del Conte, and we played the game that night. It was a close game, and we lost. But that was my first interaction. 

"And then the very next time we got an interaction, I was the coach representative on the search committee for the athletic director job at TCU [in 2009]. And when he walked in the room, he said, 'I sure hope you won't hold that rain delay game against me.'"

— Schlossnagle used the letters T-E-X-A-S to define what he said would be the culture of his program.

"Our culture at the University of Texas in the baseball program will simply be this: Number one, `T' is toughness. The toughness to embrace success, and see failure as an opportunity."

E — Energy and elite effort

X — Excellence

"Excellence means the best version of yourself," Schlossnagle said. "My job is to help everybody within the program become the best version of themselves, especially the players."

A — Accountability

"I want to be held accountable. We're going to be about accountability. I'm going to challenge our players to do what they say they're going to do, do what they say they're committed to do."

S — Selfless

"The last thing is to be selfless. I think the greatest quality somebody can have is humility because you can learn what you think you already know. That's the only way you can be coached.

"That'll be our culture. That will be our core values. Those aren't words on a wall. That's not stuff we're going to put on a T-shirt and talk about in the first meeting. That is how we will live. That is how I will be held accountable. And that's how I will hold everybody else accountable."

Chris Del Conte offers insight on how he handles coaching searches

Chris Del Conte waited as long as felt he could to make David Pierce's firing official. It just so happened that when Texas released the news on Monday, it was hours before Jim Schlossnagle's Texas A&M played Tennessee in Omaha with the national championship on the line. (Photo: Ricardo B. Brazziell/American-Statesman, USA TODAY Sports)

Whether Jim Schlossnagle accepted Chris Del Conte's offer to become the new Texas baseball coach or not, the search for David Pierce's replacement was guaranteed to be a better process than the one that led to Pierce's hiring in 2016.

Then-interim athletic director Mike Perrin interviewed or showed interest in several candidates before hiring Pierce. Pierce's eight seasons on the Forty Acres resulted in three conference championships and three trips to the College World Series, but Del Conte wasn't interested in repeating a search that resulted in upwards of 10 college baseball coaches across the country leveraging the Texas opening for salary increases and/or contract extensions at their respective jobs.

That's why Pierce's ouster, which was expected to happen after the Longhorns were eliminated from the NCAA Tournament in the College Station Regional on June 2, wasn't publicly acknowledged by Texas until Monday. Even though the news came hours before Schlossnagle's Texas A&M team took the field to face Tennessee in Omaha with the national championship on the line, that's the day Del Conte felt the information wouldn't stay behind closed doors much longer.

"We were trying to hold everything until after the games were done," Del Conte said on Wednesday. "The reality was Coach Pierce [needed to talk] to his players. We knew it weighed heavily on him. He wanted to be able to get some resolution. We had a mutually agreed upon move. There was nothing nefarious about Monday. Information was getting out.

"It just happened to be a happenstance. It was never, 'Hey, we're doing this on this day.' That was not a nefarious time," he added, addressing the notion that Texas intentionally released the news of Pierce being fired when it did to take the shine off of the Aggies playing for their first baseball national championship. "It was just the way information flows, we felt like, 'OK let's move this as we can.' They're playing [on] Saturday and Sunday. Monday never came into the mix on that, and I feel bad for Coach Schlossnagle because, at the end of the day, that was a distraction for him too."

With the news out, Del Conte moved quickly and met with Schlossnagle on Tuesday with the Texas athletic director hiding out at Snook Cemetery before meeting at Schlossnagle's house at 2:45 p.m. After their meeting, Schlossnagle rode with Del Conte back to Austin and signed his contract with the Longhorns at around 7:45 p.m., according to Del Conte.

Schlossnagle was the top target for Del Conte and Texas. Similar to when former men's basketball head coach Chris Beard was hired, Del Conte was prepared to quickly shift his attention to the next group of candidates on his list had Schlossnagle turned him down, but everything fell into place.

Del Conte wasn't going to let what happened in 2016 happen on his watch.

"At the University of Texas, one of the things I do on coaching searches is — we get played a lot. We get played historically. 'Oh, Texas is calling me! Give the guy a raise!" Del Conte said. "You have to have no air in that room. You've got to take the air out and make a decision quickly because what happens is, if you make a coaching change and you have two, three, four weeks, everyone is going to use that to their advantage. To me, I try to minimize that as quickly as possible. If you look at our coaching searches, there's not much air between when making a decision and who we hire.

"I study who's out there. You go for the best and you target and then move forward," he added. "If you're not, you're on to the next as quickly as possible. With Jim, all eggs were in one basket. I was banking on my relationship with him that at least we could come to a deal." — JEFF HOWE

UFCU Disch-Falk Field has had an artificial playing surface since the stadium opened in 1975. Texas is looking into installing a natural grass surface, but Chris Del Conte said on Wednesday that it's not a simple process. (Photo: Aaron E. Martinez/American-Statesman, USA TODAY Sports)

I spoke briefly with Chris Del Conte on Wednesday about a plan to install a grass playing surface at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. In short, Texas is looking into it, but Del Conte is being thorough with the process.

The athletic department is currently doing studies to find the right type of grass to put down at a stadium that's never had grass. When the stadium was built and debuted in 1975, Cliff Gustafson needed artificial turf to hold camps and while David Pierce pushed for a grass surface when he was hired in 2016, it hasn't happened.

Del Conte said the idea has been kicked around to install grass at Disch-Falk in 2026, which is when the artificial turf at Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium will be replaced with natural grass. There's no firm timeline for putting down a grass playing surface for the Longhorn baseball team and Del Conte said the biggest problem is the clamshell design of the stadium, which casts long shadows over most of the infield and can make it incredibly cold in the shade during the winter months.

Again, Del Conte didn't give a firm 'yes' on Disch-Falk getting a grass surface, but if it's going to be done, it's going to be done the right way. — JEFF HOWE

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Select ball and AAU are so fucking dumb now days

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

IMG_1716.png

I get a kick out of running into these types of guys in real life, and it's happened on several occasions. 

Anytime they start ranting about the devious University of Texas spying around and controlling everything with their secret connections and backroom deals, I just agree and let them keep going.   I'll agree and tell them ' Yep Texas controls everything, law enforcement, political heads, they're controlling what we see and what we buy.  Hell, they got control of all these traffic lights.'

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

And, believe it or not, this type shit happens all the time, just maybe not to this extreme. Had a travel coach tell my daughter that she would have to play for someone else if she wanted to go to LSU, because he didn’t like Beth Torina and would not send his players there.

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Whoever is saying this is the case, ask for the email. I need that email to send to some other organizations. HOLY SHIT IF TRUE.

• Hook 'Em 1

4. According to sources close to the situation, there were a few developments in the last year at Texas A&M that bothered Schlossnagle.

Schlossnagle was on A&M's search committee for a new athletic director when Ross Bjork, the man who hired Schlossnagle, left to take the same job at Ohio State earlier this year.

Schlossnagle preferred Army athletic director Mike Buddie, who has a baseball background (he was a pitcher for the New York Yankees and Milwaukee Brewers and also was the one who prepared Kevin Costner for his role in Sam Raimi's movie "For Love of the Game," which featured former Texas baseball coach Augie Garrido).

Hmmm.  My cousin worked for Buddie a short while at West Point.  (He was Army's Deputy Athletic Director.)  I'm gonna see if he's heard of any of this.