Texas Baseball 2025 - Show Me A Schloss

petscii

On 6/27/2024 at 10:12 AM, Jive Turkey said:

IMG_1716.png

Yep. Even a coach who doesn't want to be an aggy would rather not have a championship on his mantle and just throw a series. Championships are just rings that clash with his new suit. Screw it all, just throw the series and forget about a championship winning season. 

How do these retards keep procreating?

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yep. Even a coach who doesn't want to be an aggy would rather not have a championship on his mantle and just throw a series. Championships are just rings that clash with his new suit. Screw it all, just throw the series and forget about a championship winning season. 

How do these retards keep procreating?

slsj8M.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I grew up with Skip, and he was always kind of country, so I could see him interviewing well there.  Probably not on the level of Schloss, but he will get sick of some of their shit, too.  

When I got out of college, I worked on a deal that put me in contact with some mid-level flunky who was from Denton. That dude absolutely sucked, and he would not shut the fuck up about how his best friend since childhood was the new pitching coach at Texas. Since then, I’ve always viewed Skip with disdain due to that dumbass incessantly name-dropping him. I know you weren’t that guy, but reading your post gave me pause for half a second, and I feel the need to apologize for that, or for the fact that you may have grown up with that guy, too.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m glad we are moving on from an era where we spent days arguing about Dee Kennedy or Jack O’Dowd playing second base.

Kent had 1 HR (against Prairie View) in 83 ABs as a frosh.  Only 4 this past year in 24 fewer ABs than Kennedy who also had 4.

PG had one as the #500 recruit, one as the 188th recruit.  I’m guessing the #500 guy was not short of opportunities or instruction.

Just so I’m clear, you are ok giving up on a dude after 1 year?  A year in which most believe we had coaching shortcomings.  Even with the improvement that Flores showed year over year.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Kent had 1 HR (against Prairie View) in 83 ABs as a frosh.  Only 4 this past year in 24 fewer ABs than Kennedy who also had 4.

PG had one as the #500 recruit, one as the 188th recruit.  I’m guessing the #500 guy was not short of opportunities or instruction.

Just so I’m clear, you are ok giving up on a dude after 1 year?  A year in which most believe we had coaching shortcomings.  Even with the improvement that Flores showed year over year.

It’s not that complicated. This is the type of attrition you expect with a coaching change.The dude hit .209 last year. I’m sure he was in line to improve as a sophomore but he also probably isn’t trying to engage in a battle for his spot after starting 40 games last year.

This is no longer David Pierce managing this roster man. The harsh reality is there are 20 Dee Kennedy’s in the portal. We like to get attached to our own players because we want them to succeed but the old saying of “they will bite as a pup” still applies to about 90% of guys.

For every Jalin Flores breakout sophomore campaign, there are 50 other guys who dont break out. Flores also had much more pedigree and tools to work with.

Edited by Hookem2147

On 6/27/2024 at 5:37 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Adding men's volleyball before men's soccer would be lunacy.

We would absolutely clean up in men's soccer. The amount of talent this state produces yearly is absurd. Then hit up Cali, PA, MD, and Florida and we would dominate. Of course we would have to move our team to the B1G or elsewhere since the SECx3 doesn't have it. 

But adding a women's gymnastics team has been a long time coming. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/27/2024 at 6:18 PM, Goodman said:

Hockey or die

We do have club Hockey. Would be delighted to see it moved up to take on the Minnesota, NDSU, Denver, Boston College, Boston, Michigan, Cornell, and Quinnipac. We'd get our asses beat for a decade,but then I think we could get competitive. NIL would be dope, and The Stars haveA.  huge following, so it's not like Hockey is foreign here. 

How has this not been posted here already? 

Exclusive: Jim Schlossnagle explains his move from Texas A&M to Texas

When Jim Schlossnagle left TCU after 18 seasons three years ago, he told me he expected to retire there. He was 50 then and had no desire to coach into old age. He wanted a new challenge, something on a grand scale, and few places in college baseball offered such a place as Texas A&M.

But three years and two College World Series appearances later, including one win shy of the CWS National Championship on Monday night in Omaha, Schlossnagle, now 53, shocked the college baseball world and beyond when he left the Aggies for the rival University of Texas Longhorns.

The move came a day after Schlossnagle had led A&M to within a run of the College World Series national championship. It was the greatest moment in the history of Aggies baseball, and 12 hours later, he left College Station for Austin.

Schlossnagle knew the move would send shockwaves between the rivals, but he didn’t anticipate irate Aggies posting his cell phone number, Venmo account and home address on social media.

During an interview with the Star-Telegram, Schlossnagle explained what transpired to set up the move, including his deep friendship with Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte, his mounting concerns about A&M athletics’s financial instability and his relationship with the Aggies’ new athletic director, Trev Alberts.

Q: How has this past week been for you?

Schlossnagle: Well, it’s been a whirlwind of work and emotion. Our staff is working 18-hour days trying to get to know the [Texas] players, the incoming class and diving into the transfer portal.

Q: Have you been surprised by the reaction to the move? Been on social media much?

Schlossnagle: I knew this would be a controversial move, leaving Texas A&M for Texas. But I didn’t anticipate the venom that my family, our staff, and their families have received … death threats, endless text messages, and other things. I do believe that most Aggies are really good people, and I have heard many positive things from many of them, but the vocal minority certainly has been aggressive, to say the least.

Q: When you left TCU for A&M, you said you expected to retire there.

Schlossnagle: I loved my time at TCU and truly wanted to try something new at a big SEC school. I met with [then A&M AD] Ross Bjork and his team, and we agreed on a vision to grow the program on a grand scale, including a ballpark, aggressive on the NIL front, and we went to work.

Q: What changed at A&M? What led to this decision?

Schlossnagle: I would say that with everything that was going on within the department financially, the agreement we made to begin construction on the ballpark in June of 2024 began to slow down, and that was disappointing since I had recruited a coaching staff and recruits thinking we would be in a new ballpark by 2025 or 2026. Then we had the football coaching change [with Jimbo Fisher’s firing and subsequent near $80 million buyout]. That eventually led to a new athletic director, which always makes any coach wonder what direction things are going. In late April, they laid off my sport administrator Chris Park, during the season when we were ranked No. 1 in the country. That created a vacuum of leadership for our program just on a daily basis. The sport administrator for a program plays a big role in our daily operation.

Q: How was your relationship with [Texas A&M athletics director] Trev Alberts?

Schlossnagle: Trev was very nice and supportive. I think he will do really good things at A&M. He came to visit with me a few days after being hired and said that baseball was important at Texas A&M, and he knew the stadium was a priority for me and the program and that he wanted to keep that moving forward. He told me that we’d have to build it without taking on any more debt. I understood that, but also knew that raising $85 million would be challenging given all the things that happened in the past year financially. I have no doubt that A&M is committed to baseball and will eventually do something great, though.

Q: Was the Texas job on your radar? How far back was it something you were considering?

Schlossnagle: Ever since Chris Del Conte left TCU, we’ve had to deal with it both at TCU and Texas A&M. Because of my close relationship with him, people always naturally thought that we would work together again. But I took the job at Texas A&M thinking it would be my last job, and I signed a contract with a massive buyout if I left for any other school in Texas. I signed that willingly with no intention of leaving.

Q: So what changed?

Schlossnagle: Trev came to me the day before the regional to have a conversation. He asked me if I was frustrated. I told him that I had some frustration with how slow the ballpark process was going and that it was tough to operate without a sport administrator, but I was committed to working through it. He then made a comment to me — kind of comparing his situation of leaving his alma mater, Nebraska. He said to me, ‘You know, Jim, if you ever don’t feel like this is the place for you, that’s OK, and it’s OK to move on.’ I was a little taken aback by that, and that was the moment that I began to think that maybe this wasn’t going to work out. No one ever contacted me or my agent about a new contract for our staff, so I just decided to focus on getting our team to Omaha and winning.

Q: When was the deal finalized with Texas?

Schlossnagle: Chris and I have always talked pretty regularly over the years as friends. We never talked seriously about me going to Texas until the very end. We landed back in College Station after Omaha, I met with the few players I could face to face to let them know this could happen and that, due to the NCAA rules, I wouldn’t be able to talk to them again. Chris met me at my house that day. We spoke for about two hours, and then I made the decision and went to Austin.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We do have club Hockey. Would be delighted to see it moved up to take on the Minnesota, NDSU, Denver, Boston College, Boston, Michigan, Cornell, and Quinnipac. We'd get our asses beat for a decade,but then I think we could get competitive. NIL would be dope, and The Stars haveA.  huge following, so it's not like Hockey is foreign here. 

NDSU doesn’t play hockey, but UND is vey good at it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SamMan said:

When I got out of college, I worked on a deal that put me in contact with some mid-level flunky who was from Denton. That dude absolutely sucked, and he would not shut the fuck up about how his best friend since childhood was the new pitching coach at Texas. Since then, I’ve always viewed Skip with disdain due to that dumbass incessantly name-dropping him. I know you weren’t that guy, but reading your post gave me pause for half a second, and I feel the need to apologize for that, or for the fact that you may have grown up with that guy, too.

Pretty sure Skip's best friend since childhood was Tadlock.

Baseball fanatics, I’ve gotten removed a bit from the team over the last two years because I was really frustrated with Pierce, to the point where I stopped watching all of last year. As a result, I don’t even know which players are good that we want to keep and those which would be fine losing. 

I saw the Kennedy and JC notices. Does anyone have a list of “keep” vs “not” that’s been covered in the baseball thread? That would be incredible to reference  

Also, how good are these two A&M pitcher decommit commits? Can they move into the starters soon?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

NDSU doesn’t play hockey, but UND is vey good at it. 

Yeah that's what I meant, my apologies. And yeah, they're very good. Watched them in the frozen four a few times. I'd love to see us move from club and get our asses beat for awhile until we recruit with NIL in our pockets. 

35 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Baseball fanatics, I’ve gotten removed a bit from the team over the last two years because I was really frustrated with Pierce, to the point where I stopped watching all of last year. As a result, I don’t even know which players are good that we want to keep and those which would be fine losing. 

I saw the Kennedy and JC notices. Does anyone have a list of “keep” vs “not” that’s been covered in the baseball thread? That would be incredible to reference  

Also, how good are these two A&M pitcher decommit commits? Can they move into the starters soon?

There’s no talent here.  Let ‘em all go.

9 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

There’s no talent here.  Let ‘em all go.

Pierce not being able to recruit or put together a roster has certainly been criticism from this board.

Recently, the narrative is:

Belyeu, Gasparino, Galvan, Schuessler can all play. Flores if he will come back.

Grubbs is a potential starter. Maybe Whitehead can play some. 

57 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

-We have not lost anyone of significance left. Galvan, Whitehead, Grubbs, Belyeu, Schuessler and Gasparino are probably the only guys I would lose sleep over if they left.

-The two A&M decommits are class of 2025, so won’t be on campus until the 2026 season.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Keep:

Rylan Galvan (C)

Max Belyeu (OF)

Will Gasparino (OF)

Casey Borba (1B/3B)

Max Grubbs (SP)

Ace Whitehead (SP)

Kimble Schuessler (C)

Cade O’Hara (P)

Easton Tumis (P)

Oliver Santos (P)

Oliver Service (C)

David Shaw (P, had an awful year, battled back from injury, but has tools to be elite if this staff can get him to figure it out)

Draft Risks With Eligibility:

Jared Thomas (keep but more than likely going pro)

Jalin Flores (keep but likely going pro)

Lebarron Johnson Jr. (would lean keep with the new staff having an opportunity to work with him but I think he moves on and starts his pro career)

Tanner Witt (needs to move on, wish him the best)

Gage Boehm (would love to keep, @Hookem2147 would have a better answer on his draft risk)

Andre Duplantier (would love to keep but COVID super senior, depends on whether they keep his brother Jayden and how bad he wants to play with him)

Indifferent/Potential Natural Attrition:

Tommy Farmer (OF)

Blake Peterson (OF, Longhorn to the core)

Nik Sanders (C)

Hudson Hamilton (P)

Jayden Duplantier (INF)

Cut/Hit the portal:

Luke Harrison (P)

George Zaharias (P)

Brandon Bertsch (P)

Cole Selvig (P)

Casey Cummings (OF)

Chase Lummus (P)

Cody Howard (P)

This is mostly for reference, feel free to add or edit anything I missed. Some of this is just my opinion on what I think will happen.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

🙄

You know I’d keep em all right?  From a talent perspective I saw nothing that says run a dude off.  The new staff will prioritize skills and construction to suit their preferences so yeah turnover will happen.

The Weiner took Cortez from a mid 7 ERA, 2 + WHIP, a K/BB of less than 1 guy to what we saw this year.  He also took Stewart from a near 7 ERA and 2 WHIP to valued CWS bullpen guy.  Those were multi year guys so it’s not like we’re talking true frosh numbers.  I’ve previously highlighted Kent versus Kennedy.  There’s also some lucky shit.  Imagine if Prager, coming off an injury season, misses this year.  And that Witt, coming off an injury, has a big year.

I don’t trash Pierce like others, but I think you need to view our returning guys in the context of better plate discipline and a well qualified pitching coach.

You bet your ass I’d be happy keeping these guys:  Borba, Kennedy, Galvan, Belyeu, J. Duplantier, Gasparino, Schuessler.  Then you have guys that you don’t know much about that you can’t say cut them loose:  Farmer, Cummings, Service, Sanders.

On the pitching side, I’d for sure be fine with Ace, Grubbs, Tumis, O’Hara, Lummus, Shaw and Harrison.  Not sure on Hamilton and Servig.  Based on profiles, I’d take Santos and Mercer too.

With a roster of 35-40 guys, some of them will be role players that includes dudes that never play or play limited roles in blowouts.  You are talking about 20 guys or so that produce the lions share of the work.

Obviously, I can’t see work ethic, attitude, player goals, etc.

There is plenty of talent and production to choose from here.  Assess what you have with incoming freshmen.  

• Hook 'Em 2