Texas Baseball 2025 - Show Me A Schloss

petscii

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Pierce not being able to recruit or put together a roster has certainly been criticism from this board.

It’s typically at CWS time that I begin to look to at other teams rosters and their production.   The standard thought seems to be elevate other rosters and downplay ours.  You’ll have people downplay the competition in an effort to justify it too but really the schedules balance out.  CWS caliber rosters generally have a weak hitter or two.  I’m not sure anyone has 3 reliable starters.  Even in this year’s CWS game 2, we had a .200 hitter with a key homer against a dude that pitched 11 innings all season and his ERA damn near equaled his innings pitched.  Why are either in the game if those rosters are so stacked?  People overvalued Lamkin cause he handled Florida, who again outside of Jac had an approximate .250 average. He’s got 26 career starts with a mid 5 ERA.

What Texas generally lacks is that top 15 draft pick talent.  But we kinda always have lacked that.  The Melendez/Madden duo was close.  I’m not sure either them are sure-fire MLBers.  We need that big arm but even that’s not a guarantee.  I’m not talking a guy that brings it 99.  I’m talking the total package that says he’s a top 15 pick.  Course Arkansas and Wake hot exactly nowhere with their guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/25/2024 at 9:37 PM, The Valtay Corporation said:

You may have taken our coach, but that doesn't mean shit until you beat us.  Y'all lost like bitches in College Station and we finished the season playing for all the marbles.  It's not like the NIL pool and salary kitty at A&M are coming in light, we'll take this one on the chin and be fine.  Enjoy your mercenary coach.  I'm still looking forward to beating your asses again the years to come.

I sure hope this guy didn't go away.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Had Enough said:

It’s typically at CWS time that I begin to look to at other teams rosters and their production.   The standard thought seems to be elevate other rosters and downplay ours.  You’ll have people downplay the competition in an effort to justify it too but really the schedules balance out.  CWS caliber rosters generally have a weak hitter or two.  I’m not sure anyone has 3 reliable starters.  Even in this year’s CWS game 2, we had a .200 hitter with a key homer against a dude that pitched 11 innings all season and his ERA damn near equaled his innings pitched.  Why are either in the game if those rosters are so stacked?  People overvalued Lamkin cause he handled Florida, who again outside of Jac had an approximate .250 average. He’s got 26 career starts with a mid 5 ERA.

What Texas generally lacks is that top 15 draft pick talent.  But we kinda always have lacked that.  The Melendez/Madden duo was close.  I’m not sure either them are sure-fire MLBers.  We need that big arm but even that’s not a guarantee.  I’m not talking a guy that brings it 99.  I’m talking the total package that says he’s a top 15 pick.  Course Arkansas and Wake hot exactly nowhere with their guys.

The last few years our best players were good but they should be the supporting cast for 2-3 all stars, there’s no reason Texas should not have 1 if not 2 pitchers receiving AA team (any team not just first team) honors.  Same on offense. We need 3-4 players on the team that are undisputed top of the game. Haven’t had that much lately, and our players who are good have played well and carried the Texas brand well even excelling in the post season. But it’s not been enough. I think we are headed there fast. This is going to be a lot of fun the next 5-6 years.

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, troph said:

The last few years our best players were good but they should be the supporting cast for 2-3 all stars, there’s no reason Texas should not have 1 if not 2 pitchers receiving AA team (any team not just first team) honors.  Same on offense. We need 3-4 players on the team that are undisputed top of the game. Haven’t had that much lately, and our players who are good have played well and carried the Texas brand well even excelling in the post season. But it’s not been enough. I think we are headed there fast. This is going to be a lot of fun the next 5-6 years.

Our hitters are plenty good and worthy of all accolades. I wouldn’t say they are second tier. But you are very right about pitching. Can we haz pitchers again please. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

It's begun

!!!

I met this dude's dad in a hospital in north Georgia in February.  He was staying in the room next to my brother, saw me in the hall wearing a Washington Baseball hoodie, and called me in his room, and we talked about college baseball for an hour.  

Pretty sure I told him that his kid should have gone to UT, so I'll take credit for this one.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, troph said:

I believe we’re well positioned for the future.

Texas from 1993 thru 1999 had 8 All Americans, 3 of which were honorable mention.   No 1st teamers.  In 2000, we had a 1st teamer and a 2nd teamer.  Nothing in 2001.  Then 4 in 2002.  Other examples - 1982 and 1983 had 1 each.

Lucas Gordon received some 1st team all American recognition last year.  LBJ too for 2nd team.  Also Dylan Campbell 3rd team.  Madden in 2021.  Ivan and Stehly in 2022.  Flores 3rd team this year.  Gage and Thomas were worthy.  That doesn’t include your Big 12 player of the year, who won it over 3 players rated in the top 31 draft prospects.

The Golden Spikes award has been around since 1978.  Only one Horn has ever won it.  Ivan.  3 seasons ago.

Thomas is rated #60 as an MLB draft prospect.  His season and a 2nd round grade are historically top shelf at Texas.  Flores is top 120 and maybe the top offensive performance at SS in Texas history.

We’re not that far off.

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I believe we’re well positioned for the future.

Texas from 1993 thru 1999 had 8 All Americans, 3 of which were honorable mention.   No 1st teamers.  In 2000, we had a 1st teamer and a 2nd teamer.  Nothing in 2001.  Then 4 in 2002.  Other examples - 1982 and 1983 had 1 each.

Lucas Gordon received some 1st team all American recognition last year.  LBJ too for 2nd team.  Also Dylan Campbell 3rd team.  Madden in 2021.  Ivan and Stehly in 2022.  Flores 3rd team this year.  Gage and Thomas were worthy.  That doesn’t include your Big 12 player of the year, who won it over 3 players rated in the top 31 draft prospects.

The Golden Spikes award has been around since 1978.  Only one Horn has ever won it.  Ivan.  3 seasons ago.

Thomas is rated #60 as an MLB draft prospect.  His season and a 2nd round grade are historically top shelf at Texas.  Flores is top 120 and maybe the top offensive performance at SS in Texas history.

We’re not that far off.

I didn’t say we were far off. But Tennessee and A&M had better pitching and better offense. Saying we lack 3-4 key pieces - pitching and hitting - is not untrue. For most of the championship series the Aggies were trotting out 2 point something ERAs, Tenn not far behind, true neither had a weekend full of stellar pitching but it was much better than ours. I was less focused on hitting but there’s no doubt Texas loses to both of those teams easily in a best of 3. And those players we had I acknowledged that at times the elevated their play. But reality is even with flashes, at their peak they accomplished a 3 seed and bounced before a regional final. So yeah, we need a handful of ballers and a new coach. Thankfully we should have all of that for next year. Fucking A let’s go.

Edited by troph