Texas Baseball 2025 - Show Me A Schloss

petscii

3 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Are there any plans for upgrades to the Disch and/or having grass? siap

I imagine that was part of the discussion with Schloss. And I think CDC said the grass was being evaluated but nothing would happen until 2026 when the football field gets redone.

I might not have all that exactly right.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Are there any plans for upgrades to the Disch and/or having grass? siap

Lots of other improvements for facilities in front of that. Indoor football facility, DKR (grass) and maybe a couple of others.

You should tweet/X CDC @_delconte about it, he's been really good at responding to those that have asked him about grass at Disch Falk. 😁 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

Interesting. Was it generally expected that Mercer would return, or did the new coaching staff play a major role?

I think there was talk he might just give up baseball. 

Isn't he going to be 25 next season? I don't think he has much of a pro future but he's a good college reliever.  Some thought he might just move on to a career. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Isn't he going to be 25 next season? I don't think he has much of a pro future but he's a good college reliever. I think some thought he might just move on to a career. 

Why would anyone want to do that? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, WBT said:

I'm calling bullshit on those numbers

If anyone is going to spend that, it would be aggy who’s trying to save face after losing their mean ol’ coach. His buyout is basically funding the return of all of the portal ags, Kash and their scrub head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, WBT said:

Doesn't everyone?

Should have been more specific. An above average pitcher to me is a guy like Grubbs. Hitters aren’t going to struggle against him but he’s still a solid pitcher. With elite pitchers in college the hitters are going to struggle for the most part. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Root apparently got $400k to go to Arkansas so maybe they aren’t too far off. 

I can’t imagine there are many college baseball players in the six figures but maybe the market is evolving.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

They just hired a coach from Ross and are getting $2.7mil for the Schloss buyout. I don’t doubt it. They know they’re hosed after this season

I guess with the Schloss buyout and going cheap with Earley maybe they can go big this year as a one off.  Bigger picture I think their finances are still in bad shape from Jimbo.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Isn't he going to be 25 next season? I don't think he has much of a pro future but he's a good college reliever.  Some thought he might just move on to a career. 

Heard he wasn't giving up baseball.  Had some potential to sign this year but would assume that Weiner coming in, who seems like a great pitching developer and was head of minor league pitching at Mariners, would be a big plus to coming back.  If surgery was in late Fall wouldn't be pitching in minors this Fall anyway.  Pitching for UT next year gives pitchers 3 months vs SEC, which is like low minors anyway, and pitchers signing next Summer only lose about 4 months of minor league games from April to August.

32 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They could use the buyout to make the next jimbo payment sting a little less. But why be fiscally responsible when you can spend a million for two baseball players to play one more season. 

It's amazing how much of what they do is motivated by dick-measuring vs Big Brother.

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m surprised Schloss hasn’t churned more of this roster yet, especially on the pitching side. But I guess we still have several more weeks and might get in a numbers crunch after the draft/additional portal moves.

I haven't seen many pitching announcements other than the guys we wanted back. I think we're about to see a lot of attrition there (as needed). 

3 hours ago, Levi said:

Should have been more specific. An above average pitcher to me is a guy like Grubbs. Hitters aren’t going to struggle against him but he’s still a solid pitcher. With elite pitchers in college the hitters are going to struggle for the most part. 

Hitters didn’t struggle against a guy that had a sub-4 ERA on the season? What are you talking about?

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m surprised Schloss hasn’t churned more of this roster yet, especially on the pitching side. But I guess we still have several more weeks and might get in a numbers crunch after the draft/additional portal moves.

I'm assuming the pitchers are all gonna be on a tryout basis. May the best pitchers win a roster spot. Just throw strikes would be a start ,with gas is a bonus. 

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Hitters didn’t struggle against a guy that had a sub-4 ERA on the season? What are you talking about?

Not really. He only had 50 k’s over 73 innings pitched. He throws to contact. LBJ who was less steady this year struck out 84 but also gave up a ton of hits (only 1 more than Max). When LBJ was on he was tough to hit eg game 2 against aggie( 5.0, 2H, 1R and 8 SO). A guy like Gage threw only 53 inning but had 60 K’s. We had guys on the staff that hitters struggled with more than Max. 

I think you misunderstood what I said. He’s a solid pitcher that plays to his defense. 

I think it is funny that Kash thought he should have gotten more PT when sitting behind the Golden Spikes winner, he transfers out, the center fielder we replaced him with is now going to be drafted somewhere in the first three rounds, and Gavin will be on his third team. His greatest achievement at Texas was saying “throw a fucking strike” to the pitcher in his first collegiate AB. Also funny that the Tech guys were certain he was going to be drafted when he entered the portal. He did get off to a torrid start. Pretty sure he led the nation in RBI for about the first few weeks or so. Good luck, goggles.

RE: Pitchers—Has anybody heard any more about that juco guy who throws 100 but is wild as fuck? I don’t recall the name. Is he still coming? That would be a nice guy for me to pin unrealistic expectations to this fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, SamMan said:

RE: Pitchers—Has anybody heard any more about that juco guy who throws 100 but is wild as fuck? I don’t recall the name. Is he still coming? That would be a nice guy for me to pin unrealistic expectations to this fall.

Kyrin LeBlanc out of Cisco. Averaged a walk an inning, 5.40 ERA, 1.80 WHIP, 14.9 K/9. 

Only 21 innings though so it’s a small sample size, believe it was his first year pitching as well. You don’t find kids throwing triple digits in college let alone JUCO, even if he was out there hitting the mascot it’s an auto take. Hasn’t said anything since the coaching change but as far as I know he is still committed 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Kyrin LeBlanc out of Cisco. Averaged a walk an inning, 5.40 ERA, 1.80 WHIP, 14.9 K/9. 

Only 21 innings though so it’s a small sample size, believe it was his first year pitching as well. You don’t find kids throwing triple digits in college let alone JUCO, even if he was out there hitting the mascot it’s an auto take. Hasn’t said anything since the coaching change but as far as I know he is still committed 

Max being a big first pitch strike guy could be a perfect match for Kyrin. 

21 minutes ago, Levi said:

Max being a big first pitch strike guy could be a perfect match for Kyrin. 

Yep, comes from the Mariners organization and their don’t pitch like a pussy mindset. 

Sean McGrath just took a job as Lamar’s pitching coach (left Iowa), he was in the Mariners farm system as a pitching coach while Max was at the big league level. I’m sure Schloss already has his eye on him in the event that Max takes the next step in his career

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SamMan said:

You, Sir, are describing a situation like Nolan Ryan when he was at Alvin High School.

He was so wild pitching 100+ mph (Nolan even admitted he'd get the urge to pitch sidearm sometimes, too.) back then that some batters would tell the ump that they were "scared" to get in the batter's box because, "He's gonna hit me!"  Lulz.

Nolan even wanted to come to pitch for Bibb Falk at Texas, too!

He was late to practice one day, the day that happened to be the day before his start in a game that would have Bibb Falk's scout (who had heard the stories of Nolan's stuff) in attendance. 

As punishment, his head coach made Nolan run laps around the perimeter of the baseball diamond -- Nolan did that until he collapsed in the heat and puked.

Nolan started the next day's game, with the Texas baseball scout watching, but was still shaky from his previous day's punishment, so his stuff was ordinary, and he got rocked. 

Bibb Falk's scout reported back to Austin and told Coach Falk, "He ain't nothin' special!"  FFS

That's how Nolan Ryan missed out on a baseball scholarship to Texas, and who knows what an impact he would have made on The Forty Acres.

Instead Nolie started his MLB career straight out of high school in the Mets organization.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, Levi said:

Not really. He only had 50 k’s over 73 innings pitched. He throws to contact. LBJ who was less steady this year struck out 84 but also gave up a ton of hits (only 1 more than Max). When LBJ was on he was tough to hit eg game 2 against aggie( 5.0, 2H, 1R and 8 SO). A guy like Gage threw only 53 inning but had 60 K’s. We had guys on the staff that hitters struggled with more than Max. 

I think you misunderstood what I said. He’s a solid pitcher that plays to his defense. 

All this time I thought the objective when batting was to reach base. Didn’t know it was just to not strike out. 

9 hours ago, chase25 said:

I don't think LeBlanc is going to be a part of this class. I think all the JUCO guys will be let go.