Texas Baseball 2025 - Show Me A Schloss

petscii

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

What a stupid post dude 

Excellent rebuttal. You could’ve just said “you’re right” and gotten the same point across. 

Fwiw BAA isn’t an end all stat. Someone that walks a ton of batters could still have a low BAA. WHIP is more useful in my opinion and Grubbs also grades out decently there too. The notion that he was a terrible pitcher that everyone just tees off on was an absurd take.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Excellent rebuttal. You could’ve just said “you’re right” and gotten the same point across. 

Fwiw BAA isn’t an end all stat. Someone that walks a ton of batters could still have a low BAA. WHIP is more useful in my opinion and Grubbs also grades out decently there too. The notion that he was a terrible pitcher that everyone just tees off on was an absurd take.

You compared max grubbs to Greg Maddux, despite there being a 20 point difference, and thought you’d made some point. It was an incredibly stupid post .No one said he’s a terrible pitcher everyone tees off on. The claim was that hitters don’t struggle against him, which the stats show they generally don’t. Max was exceptional at getting out of jams but he doesn’t miss many bats.

His WHIP is solid because he doesn’t walk a lot of batters. He does give up hits. He gave up like 20 more hits than Whitehead. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 3

Comparing any college player to any MLB Hall of Famer seems like a fool's errand, but it is Surly.

Fwiw, Maddux, Warren Spahn, and Gaylord Perry all had lifetime BAA of around 0.240.  They did not walk many, so their lifetime OP%-A are in the 0.280 area - which is true for many HOF pitchers.

WHIP for the above: 1.143, 1.195, and 1.181, respectively.  Let's not get Helobius'd by this one ;)

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Where tf are you getting he was a terrible pitcher from? 

10 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

You, Sir, are describing a situation like Nolan Ryan when he was at Alvin High School.

He was so wild pitching 100+ mph (Nolan even admitted he'd get the urge to pitch sidearm sometimes, too.) back then that some batters would tell the ump that they were "scared" to get in the batter's box because, "He's gonna hit me!"  Lulz.

Nolan even wanted to come to pitch for Bibb Falk at Texas, too!

He was late to practice one day, the day that happened to be the day before his start in a game that would have Bibb Falk's scout (who had heard the stories of Nolan's stuff) in attendance. 

As punishment, his head coach made Nolan run laps around the perimeter of the baseball diamond -- Nolan did that until he collapsed in the heat and puked.

Nolan started the next day's game, with the Texas baseball scout watching, but was still shaky from his previous day's punishment, so his stuff was ordinary, and he got rocked. 

Bibb Falk's scout reported back to Austin and told Coach Falk, "He ain't nothin' special!"  FFS

That's how Nolan Ryan missed out on a baseball scholarship to Texas, and who knows what an impact he would have made on The Forty Acres.

Instead Nolie started his MLB career straight out of high school in the Mets organization.

Dont forget the fact he was committed to Sam Houston until the MLB came calling. 

56 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It was discussed earlier in this thread but Dee Kennedy was originally committed to A&M and Schloss essentially processed him.

It's why I was surprised last night that Kennedy decided to return. 

I get that. Just weird that he found a home so quick and now in limbo. 

Alright, I'm filtering out all the JUCO guys because I don't think they are taking any of them. I'm assuming Thomas, Flores, LBJ and Witt are gone as well. I'll also filter out Rainer/Gillen as they have zero shot of making it to campus. This is what it looks like numbers-wise:

C (3)- Galvan, Schuessler, Service (could be OF), Chamberlain*

INF (5)- Borba, Duplantier, Sanders, Luna*, Richardson*

OF (8)- Gasparino, Belyeu, Winfield, Peterson, Cummings, Farmer, Scott*, Jordan*

RHP (19)- Grubbs, Tumis, Hamilton, O'Hara, Duplantier?, Boehm?, Burns, Trop, Moffett, Howard, Zaharias, Walton*, Jordan*, Millett*, DeGroat*, Lyons*, Kahalekai*, Flores*, Sterling*

LHP (7)- Whitehead, Mercer, Harrison, Shaw, Bertsch, Powell*, Covert*

That is 42 right there. I don't think we will have any problem getting under 40 between more transfers and draft casualties.

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Alright, I'm filtering out all the JUCO guys because I don't think they are taking any of them. I'm assuming Thomas, Flores, LBJ and Witt are gone as well. I'll also filter out Rainer/Gillen as they have zero shot of making it to campus. This is what it looks like numbers-wise:

C (3)- Galvan, Schuessler, Service (could be OF), Chamberlain*

INF (5)- Borba, Duplantier, Sanders, Luna*, Richardson*

OF (8)- Gasparino, Belyeu, Winfield, Peterson, Cummings, Farmer, Scott*, Jordan*

RHP (19)- Grubbs, Tumis, Hamilton, O'Hara, Duplantier?, Boehm?, Burns, Trop, Moffett, Howard, Zaharias, Walton*, Jordan*, Millett*, DeGroat*, Lyons*, Kahalekai*, Flores*, Sterling*

LHP (7)- Whitehead, Mercer, Harrison, Shaw, Bertsch, Powell*, Covert*

That is 42 right there. I don't think we will have any problem getting under 40 between more transfers and draft casualties.

I would guess we're taking at least 3 or 4 more transfer pitchers. 

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who gives a shit. He’s not good enough and doesn’t have enough potential 

The bites as a pup thing doesn't work so well in baseball.  It's common for guys who develop into draftable players to look overwhelmed as freshmen.  He has a ton of potential.

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The bites as a pup thing doesn't work so well in baseball.  It's common for guys who develop into draftable players to look overwhelmed as freshmen.  He has a ton of potential.

If Dee didnt want to stay around and compete for his spot and play under a coach with the pedigree that JS has, then I say dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Have fun playing in buttfuck nowhere Manhattan and at best competing for a 2 seed in a regional. Bye bye. 

21 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

If Dee didnt want to stay around and compete for his spot and play under a coach with the pedigree that JS has, then I say dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Have fun playing in buttfuck nowhere Manhattan and at best competing for a 2 seed in a regional. Bye bye. 

Guys transfer for all kinds of reasons. No need to get offended or take it personally. It’s a business, who gives a shit. Just worry about the guys here. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

I have never understood bad mouthing what are essentially still kids.  Especially in this era of the portal.  Wish him well, and move on.   Why do we have to shit talk him on the way out?  He had reasons to leave, probably was nonplussed given JS history and likely didn't want to play for him.  There is nothing wrong with that.  We have no idea what he'll turn out to be and a bad freshman season only means something about 50% of the time.  Kid was a Longhorn, just leave it at best of luck kid.

This shit doesn’t track in the NIL world anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 1