Texas Baseball 2025 - Show Me A Schloss

petscii

16 minutes ago, .45s said:

Don't know much about the Chilcutt kid from San Antonio that just decommitted, but he seems to be small.  I saw 5" 8" and 5"9" and about 155-160 lbs.  Not sure how recent that was.  Pretty small for any player, particularly a catcher.  I did a quick search and other than being listed on a couple of the baseball prep sites there is not much information.  Perhaps not much of a loss.

IMG_0844.thumb.jpeg.cb5ed43a1cbd188efd7b2e681806b8e0.jpeg

12 hours ago, SamMan said:

IMG_0844.thumb.jpeg.cb5ed43a1cbd188efd7b2e681806b8e0.jpeg

13 hours ago, .45s said:

Don't know much about the Chilcutt kid from San Antonio that just decommitted, but he seems to be small.  I saw 5" 8" and 5"9" and about 155-160 lbs.  Not sure how recent that was.  Pretty small for any player, particularly a catcher.  I did a quick search and other than being listed on a couple of the baseball prep sites there is not much information.  Perhaps not much of a loss.

I wonder if Pudge weighed 155 when he was 17 or 18?  He was a 200 pounder in the bigs.

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Curtis Thigpen. Taylor Teagarden. Cameron Rupp.

There is a higher standard to be met.

The time for lowered expectations is over.

Ha! 4th round MLB draftees aren’t our standard!!!  

this is like when i play fifa career mode and i take over some middling french team with a bunch of my overpowered created players + the studs i signed with an inflated budget, only to leave for arsenal after two seasons where i bring 90% of my favorite players with me. 

Free Mendoza writeup

https://247sports.com/college/texas/article/texas-adds-to-baseball-transfer-haul-picks-up-ethan-mendoza-from-arizona-state-233584259/

Buried at the bottom is:

Horns247 has learned of two transfer pitchers (both from SEC programs) visiting this weekend who could immediately raise the talent level on campus if they wind up picking the Longhorns.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Cade Fisher would be the big one. It sounds like that will be a major NIL battle if he is one with a bunch of other SEC programs. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Cade Fisher would be the big one. It sounds like that will be a major NIL battle if he is one with Tennessee and Arkansas. 

Texas is involved with Fisher but like you said, he has a lengthy list is suitors. I don’t think he is one of the ones on campus.

I think one of the guys on campus is this guy https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/baseball/roster/player/connor-mccreery/

• Hook 'Em 1

Cade Fisher, Liam Doyle, and Grayson Saunier are the most high profile SEC arms that are uncommitted. 

After that it’s the Justin Loer and Connor McCreery range.

Thatcher Hurd is out there but he had a rough year last year and I believe he has a “do not contact” attached to his name in the portal

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 5:59 PM, torre said:

Probably for the best.   He was hitting .083, 24 ABs, 12Ks, 1 HR.    Needs to get in the cage with Tulo.

https://www.capecodleague.com/stats/chatham-anglers/batting-average?playerPool=ALL

TIL that players get released in the CC League, or any summer league for that matter.

ETA:  I guess over the years I've seen things like "player x is no longer on team y's roster," but never the dreaded "release."

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Cade Fisher had a 7.13 ERA this year.  In 59.1 inning he gave up 67 hits (.282 batting average), 6 homeruns, 29 walks, and struck out 76.  He hit 13 batters, only had 3 wild pitches, and no balks. 

The Mendoza news is very surprising, as I just recently read on the Gig'Em Gazette that Schlossnagle's recent actions would destroy his recruiting for years to come. 

Shirley there is some mistake!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Congratulations,  Coach !    (siap)  (excerpts)

Texas Baseball Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle is one of eight coaches named to the American Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame as part of the 2025 class, the organization announced Wednesday.

Schlossnagle and the seven other members of the ABCA Hall of Fame Class of 2025 will be honored and inducted at the ABCA Hall of Fame Banquet, which will be held Friday, January 3, 2025, during the 81st annual ABCA Convention at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center in Washington, D.C.

Induction to the ABCA Hall of Fame is the highest honor bestowed by the American Baseball Coaches Association and Schlossnagle is joined by four other Longhorn greats in receiving the honor. Billy Disch, Bibb Falk, Cliff Gustafson and Augie Garrido were all inducted into the ABCA Halll of Fame.

For his career, Schlossnagle has amassed a 946-455 (.675) record over 23 seasons as a head coach, which included an 18-year stint at TCU, three seasons at Texas A&M and two seasons at UNLV.

https://texaslonghorns.com/news/2024/7/3/baseballs-schlossnagle-named-to-abca-hall-of-fame.aspx

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The Mendoza news is very surprising, as I just recently read on the Gig'Em Gazette that Schlossnagle's recent actions would destroy his recruiting for years to come. 

Shirley there is some mistake!

there's no mistake.  and don't call me Shirley.

also, if early Saturday games at the Disch don't offer a Schlossen-Bagle, we're tearing the program down.  And surely I can be serious.

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2024 at 9:46 PM, Balcones said:

Silas Ardoin? Garrett Guillemette?

Silas, in his final year, was as good as I've ever seen behind the plate in a Texas uniform (over 40 years of watching).

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Silas, in his final year, was as good as I've ever seen behind the plate in a Texas uniform (over 40 years of watching).

Yep. He was very, very good defensively his junior year.

Offensively, he wasn't bad, either. .271 BA and a .391 OBP. Obviously, not all inclusive of his offensive performance, but those numbers could be much worse for a defensive-minded catcher.

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

This here.

Blake Munroe

Moderators

Moderators

Posted 2 hours ago

A few quick hitters to start your day. 

- Yesterday, by all accounts, went as well as it possibly could. A high school commitment and a portal commitment both went public.

- The commitment of Arizona State’s Ethan Mendoza is huge. He will immediately push for a starting role. 

- Flipping Bryce Navarre from Texas A&M was another big time get. One of the top players in the state. His breaking ball is elite and his variety of pitches is nothing short of great. 

- More visitors will be on campus today, including prospects currently committed elsewhere. 

- Don’t be surprised if something happens today, commitment wise. Not saying it will for sure, but Texas is sitting pretty. That’s all I’ll say there. 

- I’ll close with a team note. On Friday, I reported that Will Gasparino was released from his Cape Cod team. The fact of the matter is, he wasn’t doing too hot at all. Not to mention USA Baseball players returned. I’m told that Gasparino has not been happy with his performance this summer (obviously) and will spend the rest of his summer in Austin working on/refining his approach at the plate. 

image.thumb.png.7529555ae9ee25677cfb56aa757bb56f.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yep. He was very, very good defensively his junior year.

Offensively, he wasn't bad, either. .271 BA and a .391 OBP. Obviously, not all inclusive of his offensive performance, but those numbers could be much worse for a defensive-minded catcher.

He also just did a lot of great, clutch shit that isn't reflected in any numbers.  The guy was smart, blocked balls in the dirt like a mofo, and seemed to come through in tight situations time and time again.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

He also just did a lot of great, clutch shit that isn't reflected in any numbers.  The guy was smart, blocked balls in the dirt like a mofo, and seemed to come through in tight situations time and time again.

Sounds like Bronny 

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Blake Munroe

Moderators

Moderators

Posted 2 hours ago

A few quick hitters to start your day. 

- Yesterday, by all accounts, went as well as it possibly could. A high school commitment and a portal commitment both went public.

- The commitment of Arizona State’s Ethan Mendoza is huge. He will immediately push for a starting role. 

- Flipping Bryce Navarre from Texas A&M was another big time get. One of the top players in the state. His breaking ball is elite and his variety of pitches is nothing short of great. 

- More visitors will be on campus today, including prospects currently committed elsewhere. 

- Don’t be surprised if something happens today, commitment wise. Not saying it will for sure, but Texas is sitting pretty. That’s all I’ll say there. 

- I’ll close with a team note. On Friday, I reported that Will Gasparino was released from his Cape Cod team. The fact of the matter is, he wasn’t doing too hot at all. Not to mention USA Baseball players returned. I’m told that Gasparino has not been happy with his performance this summer (obviously) and will spend the rest of his summer in Austin working on/refining his approach at the plate. 

image.thumb.png.7529555ae9ee25677cfb56aa757bb56f.png

Regarding Gasparino, his stats were posted above and they were bad.  As stated by Torre "Probably for the best.   He was hitting .083, 24 ABs, 12Ks, 1 HR.    Needs to get in the cage with Tulo."  I had checked on him a day or two before he was released and his stats were about what Torre posted.

7 minutes ago, .45s said:

Regarding Gasparino, his stats were bad.    He was hitting .083, 24 ABs, 12Ks, 1 HR.    Needs to get in the cage with Tulo."  I had checked on him a day or two before he was released and his stats were about what Torre posted.

When is Tulo allowed to coach him in off-season?

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

The clutch double play in the ‘21 CWS elimination game against Tennessee comes to mind. If he doesn’t pick that ball out of the dirt from Cam, it becomes a tie ball game with no outs and bases loaded for Tennessee. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1