Texas Baseball 2025 - Show Me A Schloss

petscii

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

What do we think his role would be?

He can be a RHP or 1B. I’m assuming he’ll be a pitcher. Already touches 93-95 on his fastball. Probably get some relief appearances or midweek starts in low pressure situations to start. 58th overall prospect and 16th pitcher in the class of 2024 by Perfect Game. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

11 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I’d be surprised if Ace or Grubbs are starters but it’ll be nice to have competition 

The thing is one of atm’s best starters never touched 91 consistently. Weiner can develop Ace in to a good starter and his injury made him look worse than he should have been this year. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Levi said:

The thing is one of atm’s best starters never touched 91 consistently. Weiner can develop Ace in to a good starter and his injury made him look worse than he should have been this year. 

100%. Ace should some velo back, he clearly knows how to pound the strikezone. With better coaching I see no reason he can’t be a weekend starter again.

28 minutes ago, Levi said:

I also forgot about Gage. If the reports of him coming back are true, then i’d bet he’s a strong contender to be a weekend starter. 

I’d much rather have him first outta the bullpen or closer. Depends on what happens with Mercer

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Fun coaching pickup for the Bobcats, even funnier job title

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

Agreeing to asst coach at TxState is hilarious. Doesn't DP still have 2yrs of payout from Texas at $1.2mil/yr ?

Guess his old lady is mad as hell, and said go back to work asshole... 😋

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Levi said:

I also forgot about Gage. If the reports of him coming back are true, then i’d bet he’s a strong contender to be a weekend starter. 

OB walked it back. Out of D1 eligibility due to playing at 3 Jucos including just 1 IP at one stop. 

Give your $9.95 to NIL, folks

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

100%. Ace should some velo back, he clearly knows how to pound the strikezone. With better coaching I see no reason he can’t be a weekend starter again.

I’d much rather have him first outta the bullpen or closer. Depends on what happens with Mercer

If Mercer can close and we can find him a set up guy, I can see Gage being a starter. Then again they would be a helluva 1-2 punch out of the pen. At least we know he can do both. 

1 minute ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

OB walked it back. Out of D1 eligibility due to playing at 3 Jucos including just 1 IP at one stop. 

Give your $9.95 to NIL, folks

Well that sucks 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Levi said:

Only 1 year of data but what Weiner did with the aggy pitching staff last year was the best coaching job in the country. 

I don't think they had top-10ish talent on the mound but still finished #4 in team ERA. The two pitchers that were drafted high were Cortez and Prager who were far from spectacular before Weinrer. 

Cortez went from a 7.74 ERA in '23 to 2.78 in '24. Prager went from a 5.16 ERA in '22 (major injury) to 2.95 ERA in '24. That pitching staff last year was not loaded with talent or proven production but Weiner made it work. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Agreeing to asst coach at TxState is hilarious. Doesn't DP still have 2yrs of payout from Texas at $1.2mil/yr ?

Guess his old lady is mad as hell, and said go back to work asshole... 😋

Gotta get to that TRS vested number. 

It's not a bad gig for Pierce, he can coast on his Texas buyout and stay in the game without having to move. Plus you figure that the Rice and/or UH gigs will open up in the next couple of years

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hookem75 said:

It's not a bad gig for Pierce, he can coast on his Texas buyout and stay in the game without having to move. Plus you figure that the Rice and/or UH gigs will open up in the next couple of years

…..or…aggy.

13 hours ago, Hookem75 said:

Texas state better not let him handle 3rd base. 

12 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

They should all make it to campus. I guess they could have big bonus pool money thrown at them, but I doubt it.

The Royals apparently can make a run for DeGroat. 

Posted (edited)

No, they target players in the later rounds and throw extra money at them that they have left over in their bonus pool.  They usually already know how much money it will take from conversations with the player's agent.

Edited by kevwun

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

No, they target players in the later rounds and throw extra money at them that they have left over in their bonus pool.  They usually already know how much money it will take from conversations with the player's agent.*

advisor.  lol

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Looks like we lose the three top HS commits, and three roster players?  Not sure how to scan the tracker to see if anybody portal'd here and then still stayed in the draft.  

RHP grad transfer from Penn, Eli Trop, was drafted in the 16th round by the Phillies

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hookem75 said:

Opponent BA of .278, WHIP of 1.49 and ERA of 5.64 doesn't sound great, but he's got two years left and he did improve his ERA by 1.2 between his freshman and sophomore season, so hopefully Weiner can get him to take another big jump and keep him around for the next two years. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Is anyone keeping an eye on the numbers? *ducks*

Texas is over. It doesn't matter. The roster will shrink via Fall Ball when it must. I'd rather have plus numbers with ensuing competition than the opposite scenario.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

47 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I hope they used extra money and paid him well over a 14th round normal contract.  Otherwise, he probably should have come to Texas.  Good luck to him.