Texas Baseball 2025 - Show Me A Schloss

petscii

Can someone explain baseball recruiting. How does a coach figure out who to offer given that ~2-7 players may get drafted and never show up? If they dedicate a space to those guys, it means they probably pass up guys on the next layer down. Because those guys will have committed somewhere else, forcing Texas to drop to the third layer or lower to pick up guys to fill the slots opened by drafted players. Or, do they just over sign, knowing that those guys aren’t likely to show up? But why go to that trouble? If they do show up now you have too many players. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Can someone explain baseball recruiting. How does a coach figure out who to offer given that ~2-7 players may get drafted and never show up? If they dedicate a space to those guys, it means they probably pass up guys on the next layer down. Because those guys will have committed somewhere else, forcing Texas to drop to the third layer or lower to pick up guys to fill the slots opened by drafted players. Or, do they just over sign, knowing that those guys aren’t likely to show up? But why go to that trouble? If they do show up now you have too many players. 

Over-sign, some programs to larger extents than others. Pierce would always cut a few per year or they'd show up needing TJ or something and would move on to a juco.

Last assessment had us at 41. Add latest transfer, 42. Limit is 40. Maybe more transfers/freshmen signees to come, fall injuries/cuts will get the number down to 40.

• Hook 'Em 1

3B is really the only true competition I see on the position player side now. Borba and Rodriguez the two frontrunners with maybe an outside shot of Sam Richardson sneaking in if he can really hit.

Whoever loses that battle is in line for DH AB's along with Schuessler.

42 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

3B is really the only true competition I see on the position player side now. Borba and Rodriguez the two frontrunners with maybe an outside shot of Sam Richardson sneaking in if he can really hit.

Where does Sanders fit in? 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Levi said:

1B/DH probably if he hits. The need for Schuessler to rep at 1B probably went down with the Stewart news. Sanders can back him up and whoever hits and doesn’t have a spot in the INF can DH.

There will be some good players struggling for AB’s next year. First world problems.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Over-sign, some programs to larger extents than others. Pierce would always cut a few per year or they'd show up needing TJ or something and would move on to a juco.

Last assessment had us at 41. Add latest transfer, 42. Limit is 40. Maybe more transfers/freshmen signees to come, fall injuries/cuts will get the number down to 40.

I think latest is actually 45 players, so if no more adds and noone leaves or gets injured this Fall (although every team seems to end up with injuries), would need to cut 5.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

1B/DH probably if he hits. The need for Schuessler to rep at 1B probably went down with the Stewart news. Sanders can back him up and whoever hits and doesn’t have a spot in the INF can DH.

There will be some good players struggling for AB’s next year. First world problems.

Schuessler hit .343 and 1020 OPS with 10HR and some clutch hitting last year after having to sit out a full year with injury.  Bet he will be better this year.  Will be interesting to see what happens with 1B and DH this year.  He is also pretty universally considered by the players as the hardest worker on the team.

Edited by HTXfan
  • Hook 'Em 6

52 minutes ago, Levi said:

Sanders was having a good Summer at Santa Barbara playing C/1B hitting .348 but apparently left early,  no longer on roster.   Their regular season ended this weekend and now head to NBC World Series in Kansas.    CCL competition can be compared to B12.

The much maligned, oft criticized Cody Howard is 3-0,  3.08 era, 27-9 k/bb.    Amazing if the pitching coach can build your confidence.

Hudson Hamilton is 1-3, 6.06 era, 19-9 k/bb.   Both Howard and Hamilton were used as starters.

Borba played 3B for San Luis Obispo hitting .221 with 2 HRs.   Must be spending off time with his old girlfriends in Orange County.  He is going to be a good one.

Summer ball does not always translate to the regular season but is a barometer and can build confidence.

https://calsummerball.com/teams/santa-barbara-foresters-111233/

https://calsummerball.com/teams/san-luis-obispo-blues-111232/

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think CF is a bit of a question mark after Gaspo struggles in the Cape. If he can't hit and Winfield cant cover center, who plays center?

15 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

I think CF is a bit of a question mark after Gaspo struggles in the Cape. If he can't hit and Winfield cant cover center, who plays center?

He had 24 AB’s in the Cape. He’ll be fine. Farmer would also be an option in CF.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

200.gif

I laughed but it really is. 

Really talented recruits that struggled as FR and then struggled a bit early in summer ball. There was a long debate over whether we should recruit over Flores via the portal. Talented players like Gaspo and Flores normally get much better in year 2. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Well, they still rank us 19th.  I had no idea where we might be ranked with all the changes that have occurred.  I definitely feel good about the coaching changes. There appear to be some big improvements in the pitching staff but I am not sure if we have quality Friday and Saturday starters yet.  Relief help may be good but let's see who falls out as a closer.  I am still worried about 1B and 3B, but there is potentially some good talent on the roster now.

BA also didn’t denote any of the roster additions Texas has made. It tells me that haven’t looked at this roster makeup yet. Their analysis is wildly incomplete. This is a preseason top-15 team, for sure. However, “it don’t make a shit.” By May/June of next year, they’ll know this is a different Texas team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

#19 feels a little low, but #5 for A&M is nuts.  That coaching swap raises huge question marks, and it included their outstanding pitching coach.  7 guys drafted . . . I'm not seeing it.

A&M will be very good next season. I’m honestly surprised they weren’t a spot or two higher. Laviolette and Grahovac are top 10 picks in the draft.

They have some question marks on the pitching side but they might have the best lineup in the country 1 through 9.

2026 is when the true Earley experience will begin. This next year will be their Mark Adams honeymoon in year 1.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

10th highest SEC school despite being 19th lol. Man it’s going to be something else playing in this league.

I don’t disagree with the range we are in.  I wouldn’t feel comfortable putting a team without a true Friday night guy in the top 15 preseason even with the solid lineup we should have.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is huge news. 34 full scholarships coming to baseball. Going to help grow the sport even more as more HS guys will continue to bypass the draft to play in college.

Sucks for smaller or less lucrative athletic departments/schools. Blue bloods in football about to clean up in recruiting/the portal even more.

Good thing we're Texas fans.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

A&M will be very good next season. I’m honestly surprised they weren’t a spot or two higher.

Eh, coaching matters too.  You might be right, they might get by on established momentum, and they definitely have talent, but the man at the top matters, even in year 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

2026 is when the true Earley experience will begin. This next year will be their Mark Adams honeymoon in year 1.

Wait a minute, I’ve seen this movie before. They’ll do good next year, and Early will get about what, a $45M extension?

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, coaching matters too.  You might be right, they might get by on established momentum, and they definitely have talent, but the man at the top matters, even in year 1.

They just got Prager back and he was drafted in the 3rd round. They are going all in this year and the pressure will be high on Earley. It would be a massive failure If they don’t go deep without any key injuries. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don’t even want to know the NIL amount they paid for a guy who was slotted to sign for around 7 figures.

Who could have predicted A&M boosters would shove all the way in on NIL after we stole their coach.  We'll see if they can keep the momentum after this off-season but maybe a wake up call to Texas Baseball Boosters.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don’t even want to know the NIL amount they paid for a guy who was slotted to sign for around 7 figures.

Whatever it takes to show that Schloss had nothing to do with their success. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem75 said:

Transfer Eli Trop will sign

Aggies shelling out $1M to keep their top pitcher and we can’t come up with $100k for a likely weekend starter??

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Aggies shelling out $1M to keep their top pitcher and we can’t come up with $100k for a likely weekend starter??

Trop was a relief pitcher that never pitched over 24 innings at Penn in 3 years. Giving him over $100k would be about as dumb as it gets. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I would like to know what our NIL commitment is because we are definitely throwing some money out there. 

Flores was likely expensive, Spencer is arguably the best bullpen arm in the portal, Stewart is one of the best JUCO players in the country, and Mendoza/Winfield were very good additions (top 50ish portal players) that a lot of top programs wanted.

aggy is in desperation mode after losing Schloss to a rival. It's like you've never watched aggy and their stupidity when it comes to spending money for 1 cycle to prove a point. See Jimbo and their historic '22 recruiting class. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Trop was a relief pitcher that never pitched over 24 innings at Penn in 3 years. Giving him over $100k would be about as dumb as it gets. 

My bad, thought he was projected to be a starter for us.  Maybe I’m thinking of someone else…or maybe I’m just a dumbass?