Texas Baseball 2025 - Show Me A Schloss

petscii

- double first base permitted in the postseason
- bat testing before EVERY game
- relievers now have a 2-game suspension after ejections (previously was 4)
- permit one-way communication devices to be used in dugout/coaches box/position players to relay pitch/play call
- fight rules/ejection rules amended 
- head coach AND pitcher now ejected for 'foreign substances' being used on mound

• Hook 'Em 1

This article further clarifies the new rule changes.    Double 1B seems to be an option.   Personally,  not a fan,  prefer to follow MLB's lead.

A new rule being implemented for the 2025 NCAA baseball season addresses a situation that occurred in an SEC game on April 6.

In Mississippi State's 3-2 loss to Georgia, 11 players were ejected after an altercation at home plate following a hard tag from Mississippi State catcher Johnny Long.

The rule at the time stated that players who "leave their position" would be ejected and suspended for one game. Mississippi State argued that its players were simply leaving their positions because Long's tag ended the inning and that several of the players were attempting to defuse the situation, rather than escalating it.

That night, discussions with the SEC resulted in six of the 11 players being eligible to return for the next day's game.

The new rule states that players who were already on the field at the time of an altercation will not be ejected or suspended if "they are judged not to be a participant by their actions or not contributing to the escalation of an on-field confrontation," according to an NCAA news release.

Here are some of the other rules changes approved by the NCAA on Aug. 8:

Expanded use of electronic communication devices

Electronic one-way communication devices used to call pitches, such as PitchCom, can now be used by any player on the field as well as by base coaches. Previously, only coaches in the dugout were allowed to call pitches.

Other electronic devices, such as tablets, are still banned.

Expanded bat testing

The NCAA now will require bat testing to be conducted the day before each game. Previously, bat testing had to be conducted only prior to each series.

Some coaches believe teams had taken advantage of the more lax rules to alter bats. The most notable example came during a game between Tennessee and Vanderbilt in 2022, in which the Vols' Jordan Beck was found to be using an illegal bat. Beck was called out, and the bat was removed from the game, but he was not ejected.

Pitch clock changes

Pitch clock rules were first introduced for the 2023 season. The new rules require batters be alert to the pitcher within 12 seconds. Previously, batters had 10 seconds.

There is no longer a limit on the number of warmup pitches that can take place before an inning. Instead, there is a time limit of two minutes for starting pitchers and 2½ minutes for relievers.

Sticky stuff ejections

Pitchers who are ejected for use of a foreign substance were previously issued a blanket suspension of four games. With the new rule, starting pitchers still will get the four-game suspension, but relief pitchers will be suspended for two games. In addition, if a pitcher is caught with a foreign substance, the head coach also will be ejected.

In 2024, Vanderbilt's JD Thompson was ejected for use of a foreign substance. There also was a controversy involving Georgia pitcher Christian Mracna, who was shown on video appearing to manipulate his glove. Mracna was not issued any punishment.

Other rules changes

Relief pitchers who enter after an ejection or injury can warm up in the bullpen instead of the mound

Pitchers can take a step that does not gain ground toward home plate when pitching from the windup

A double first base has the option of being used for all games, including NCAA tournament games

Hitters do not have to stay in the batter's box between pitches

Fair/foul calls where a line drive could have touched a fielder's glove can now be reviewed via replay

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/SEC/2024/08/09/college-baseball-ncaa-rules-changes-2025-ejections-bat-testing-electronic-communication/74725612007/

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

If that September 17th start date is correct, then fall ball actually does NOT start in the fall.  First day of fall this year is September 22nd.

49 Cliff Clavins Walk into a Bar and Talk Climate Change - DeSmog

FIRE SHLOSS FOR NOT BEING PRECISE!

5 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Fun fact, more of the "Spring Semester" at UT falls within Winter than it does in Spring.

But "Fall Ball" does have have a better ring to it than my bandname "Autumnal Hardball"  

There is no winter or spring anymore in Austin.

Through an open record request, the American-Statesman previously confirmed that associate head coach Nolan Cain and assistant coach Max Weiner each agreed to work at Texas for base salaries of $400,000. Troy Tulowitzki, who will be the team's hitting instructor and third assistant coach, will make $200,000.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/baseball/2024/08/16/texas-basetball-jim-schlossnagle-contract-longhorns/74761090007/

19 minutes ago, torre said:

Through an open record request, the American-Statesman previously confirmed that associate head coach Nolan Cain and assistant coach Max Weiner each agreed to work at Texas for base salaries of $400,000. Troy Tulowitzki, who will be the team's hitting instructor and third assistant coach, will make $200,000.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/baseball/2024/08/16/texas-basetball-jim-schlossnagle-contract-longhorns/74761090007/

Tulo the poor!!!

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, why the lower comp in early years for Schloss?  

Also, I guess Tulo's salary reflects his lower standing and lack of need?

The bonus for winning a national championship seems a bit low to me based on how hard it actually is.  

On 8/17/2024 at 3:25 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

So schloss is paying his own buyout to get out of that place lol. But doing it the smart way for tax purposes. 

That was my takeaway. Absolutely fucking hilarious. All the Ags tried to say he only left because he’s buddies with CDC, but you don’t pay your own multi-million dollar buyout because you want to work with a friend. He was miserable and had to get out of that weirdass cult. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

That was my takeaway. Absolutely fucking hilarious. All the Ags tried to say he only left because he’s buddies with CDC, but you don’t pay your own multi-million dollar buyout because you want to work with a friend. He was miserable and had to get out of that weirdass cult. 

It doesn't matter, Earley was the brains behind that run and he was who they wanted all along.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That kid doesn't stand a chance, his Dad is a moron.

It could work out for us, when I was 17 all I wanted to do was stick it to my old man, well, my stepmom but you get the gist...

18 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Good. I do not want to see the main stand layout of disch change. I hate the modern parks that move seats backwards from the field rather than up. 

The modern design offers a much cleaner look. Adding natural grass and building out an outfield grandstand could further enhance the stadium's appeal in a conference with much better stadiums compared to the Big 12. The location has so much potential to create an even better atmosphere for fans as well. Schloss being boys with CDC will get approvals in place much sooner. 

2 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

The modern design offers a much cleaner look. Adding natural grass and building out an outfield grandstand could further enhance the stadium's appeal in a conference with much better stadiums compared to the Big 12. The location has so much potential to create an even better atmosphere for fans as well. Schloss being boys with CDC will get approvals in place much sooner. 

It might look cleaner but it makes for much worse sightlines. There’s not a bad seat in the main stand at Disch currently.